Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Cheaters+Music=FLAC *Sometimes

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:16 pm

It seems in the last few years there has been a flood of FLAC being offered.
    Especially of the Purple Ones live stuff and since that is an interest I have download a large number of them(elsewhere).
    Just as much a surpise has been how many places these things are beginning to show up!
    After gathering a pile of these I began to do some comparing.
    I already had a large number of them in various formats CD,DAT and MP3. The MP3's also ranged anywhere from 128 to 320 128 being my bottom line for things that I keep and 320 being my standard choice.
    Getting to the point > Coming to no surpise to me was that fact the so many of the FLAC's are not really FLAC at all.
    Out of the 30 I tested 11 were no better than mp3@128, My guess would be they were somewhere around 98.
    Now before I go pointing fingers I might mention the possibility that someone assumed that the CDs they were converting to FLAC were original or originated from Wave files.
    There is also the fact that we the listeners really don't know what has been done with the original recording or recording device.

Now we get to the Cheaters !
    Another 10 (approx.) were the dead ringer for Files that I already had in MP3 form, with a very minor volume boost.
    If it were not for the volume adjustment I wouldn't suspect cheating, but with it - that tends to allude to an effort to hide the source.
    There are FLAC logs that are supposed to protect against this, but these too can be flawed if the source was altered.

I could go on and on but I won't and won't put down FLAC either.
    But don't be fooled into thinking by downloading FLAC your getting a HQ version of a file you may already have.

Later down the road I'll post a how-to-compare guide.
    All you need is a track in mp3 and a FLAC one to compare (it won't work if you only have one source)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Jfrost

Re: Cheaters+Music=FLAC *Sometimes

Post by Jfrost on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:29 am

I have played around and posted a couple of Flac elsewhere and the version of "The Future" that is here is FLAC as well as far as I can remember, but in general I'm just a casual listener and as such haven't really seen the need to have FLAC.
    If I were to use the tunes (for Sampleling, remixing for example) I would want the best quality available, but as I said I'm just a casual listener.
    I use Sony's Walkman program to rip in general and 256 is the highest format it offers and I use winamp for FLAC. I haven't looked to hard at winamp but I'm pretty sure it would allow me to rip at 320, but I'm finding the Sony program very easy to use so I generally stick with it, My biggest problem is my upload speed but the impression I get around the place is that is everyones complaint. So if I was too upload to megaupload with a 400+ size file then the computer would be tied up for a day and I would be lucky if it upload at all, so mediafire suits me fine with its smaller sections of files.
    In saying all that, if anyone has patience and requires one of my previous uploads in FLAC please ask me, because most of them are from actual CDs, with only a couple of exceptions.
    Overall I'm only playing with the different formats and haven't really settled on a favourite yet.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:20 am

OGG is a nice format to try out.
    Also FLAC does have different compression settings since not all FLAC is the same.
    JET AUDIO premium rules for me it does everything well and I have found no other program that performs as well.
    Some seem to like Trader's Little Helper and Switch , Switch is not bad but sometimes has problems converting from FLAC and Trader's does much less than Jet.

I might point out this FLAC stuff may only be a passing trend, since mp3 makers are working on a compression file maker that is Lossless.

I guess this may not interest most since we don't post music here.
    It does comes in handy elsewhere.

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:30 am

Thought I would continue this post since I've noticed yet more cheating

the FLAC track was posted on Purple Kiss's blog. I have tested a number of them and so far all with the same results.

It could be PK is receiving these from othere sources who claim they are FLAC.

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:42 am

OK, as requested by Y. Here is a FLAC from CD, with the same converted to mp3@128
    The song is Elephants and Flowers from the CD of Graffiti Bridge (AAD)

Flac

mp3@128

Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:19 am

Aside from those strange dips, the difference doesn't seem to be spectacular? Even for a low-bitrate mp3!
    Or am i looking at it the wrong way?
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:Aside from those strange dips, the difference doesn't seem to be spectacular? Even for a low-bitrate mp3!
    Or am i looking at it the wrong way?

I think you've got it. Audio Heads generally throw huge fits about things such as this.
    If I'd posted a mp3@320 you would have notived very little different from the flac original

fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:25 am

You must put on your glasses Ym...
    And to hear the difference you must go near near near to your speakers and turn on the volume to the max!
    Joke aside, the diff between flac and a good mp3 is so little for a computerspeaker or car radio listener, so be kind to your harddrive and load mp3´s!
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:03 am

Whereas the scoop puts two speakers near his ears, normal people use headphones to check this out!
    So do I!
    42.000 songs on my hard drive at home - imagine those were FLACS?!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am