Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Humor and Anecdotes in Music

maxim9691

ZZ Laptop

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 am

ZZ Laptop

ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons once observed that the band's fans, though still a "rebellious, raucous bunch" were changing. "I'll see a cowboy hat in the first row, purple hair in the second row..."
    In fact, on one occasion Gibbons was amused to see "some guy in a suit with a laptop and a mobile phone in the third row - e-mailing his requests to the stage!"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    maxim9691

Yesterday

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 am

Yesterday

Paul McCartney's classic song "Yesterday" - voted the most popular song of the 20th Century in a 2001 BBC poll - had music long before the lyrics were written. Indeed, until he came up with "yesterday" McCartney used a curious temporary phrase while composing the song. The working words? "Scrambled eggs."

maxim9691

Jim Morrison: Mr. Mojo Risin'

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 am

Jim Morrison: Mr. Mojo Risin'

In March 1969, Doors frontman Jim Morrison was arrested for exposing himself onstage at a concert in Miami. The self-profesed Lizard King was eventually charged with an array of offenses, including profanity, lewd behavior, indecent exposure, and public drunkenness.
    During the cross-examination, Morrison was asked whether he had indeed exposed himself. "I don't remember," he replied. "I was too drunk." (Ironically, Morrison was convicted of indecent exposure, but found not guilty of public drunkenness.)

Some time later, Morrison (whose memory since the trial had miraculously improved) was asked by a friend why he had in fact exposed himself onstage. "I wanted to see," Morrison replied, "what it looked like in a spotlight."

maxim9691

George Harrison: Conscious Defendant?

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 am

George Harrison: Conscious Defendant?

George Harrison's song "My Sweet Lord" was so similar to Phil Spector's "He's So Fine" (a 1963 Chiffons hit) that Harrison was sued by Bright Tunes for copyright infringement. His defense? He had not "consciously" borrowed from Spector's tune. The verdict? Harrison was convicted - of "unconscious plagiarism."

maxim9691

Jimi Hendrix: Purple Haze

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 am

Jimi Hendrix: Purple Haze

"I first heard Jimi Hendrix [at the age of 16] when I was driving my mother's station wagon in New Hampshire," Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry once recalled. "There aren't too many radio stations there - you just get bits and pieces through the static. I heard 'Purple Haze' and I thought, 'Now we're getting Martian radio!'"

maxim9691

AC/DC vs Riot Police

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:06 am

AC/DC vs Riot Police

"A Belgian policeman took it into his head he was going to stop one of our shows," AC/DC guitarist Angus Young once recalled. "He strolled onstage with a submachine gun and pointed it at me. One of the crew jumped him and took it from him. The riot police came and wanted to arrest the band, the audience, and all this stuff. They also wanted to keep all the equipment. So our crew said, 'Then you pack it.' [laughs] They thought twice about that and decided it was too much work. In the end they relented and let us go."

maxim9691

Spector Insult

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:06 am

Spector Insult

Legendary producer Phil Spector was once asked whether he enjoyed the work of Andrew Lloyd Webber. "Why, yes," Spector tartly replied. "In fact, I respect his work so much that one day I'd like to set it to music."

maxim9691

Rock Star

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:07 am

Rock Star

During one of the band's early gigs, U2 frontman Bono spotted two young ladies dancing in front of the stage. Bono crouched down, thrust his microphone toward one of the girls, and asked, "What's your name?" Her response? "F--- off, dickhead! Get on with the bleeding music. Who do you think you are, David Bowie?"

maxim9691

Stage Dive

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:08 am

Stage Dive

While performing at a concert in the summer of 1997, Iggy Pop jumped off the stage into the arms of his adoring fans. Unfortunately, his adoring fans parted like the red sea - and Pop landed on the ground, dislocated his shoulder, and had to cancel the rest of his tour

maxim9691

Jimi Hendrix: Peerless Passion

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:10 am

Jimi Hendrix: Peerless Passion

Jeff Beck once recalled the first time he saw Jimi Hendrix play guitar. Indeed, it was something he would never forget. "He did 'Like a Rolling Stone,'" Beck recalled, "and when it was over, smoke was pouring out of his amp. I looked at the ground and thought, 'F--- it, I better go home and think about what I'm gonna do with my life.'"

maxim9691

AK-MP3s

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:10 am

AK-MP3s

In February 2004, a British-based company partly owned by former Russian rock star Andrey Koltakov began selling "AK-MP3" players built into ammunition clips from AK-47 Kalashnikov assault rifles. "This is our bit for world peace," Koltakov explained. "Hopefully, from now on many militants and terrorists will use their AK-47s to listen to music and audio books!"

maxim9691

Pathetic

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Prince was no great fan of Michael Jackson's later work.
    "Michael Jackson's album was only called 'Bad,'" he once remarked, "because there wasn't enough room on the sleeve for 'Pathetic.'"

Sponsored content

Re: Humor and Anecdotes in Music

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am