0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 9
    maxim9691

Prince Hit N Run phase 1

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Idea

Last edited by maxim9691 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    CKJ505

Re: Prince Hit N Run phase 1

Post by CKJ505 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Yep.. close to the mark! afro
    Brickscratch

Post by Brickscratch on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:40 pm

Hee Hee, Seems that I rated it higher than most of us have & it's not that I dislike the album, I've actually listened to it a lot in the car, just that there's so much more in the cannon (including the unofficial releases) that outshine Hit & Run 1  Embarassed
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Now that I think about it, I was a bit generous with my vote.

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:03 pm

sunny
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:29 am

This Phase must have hit me in the right way at the right moment 8:
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:This Phase must have hit me in the right way at the right moment 8:

affraid

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Brickscratch wrote:Hee Hee, Seems that I rated it higher than most of us have & it's not that I dislike the album, I've actually listened to it a lot in the car, just that there's so much more in the cannon (including the unofficial releases) that outshine Hit & Run 1  Embarassed

I'd personally settle for release of a collection of abandoned projects, Roadhouse garden, The Dream factory or even The Chocolate invasion. Perhaps a re-recorded greatest hits album which might shine the light on how the purple one has change musically.

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Wow...some higher ratings since I voted Laughing
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Ym must be hearing stuff we can not hear! Good for Ym! Good for you! Kool
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:01 pm

CKJ505 wrote:Ym must be hearing stuff we can not hear! Good for Ym! Good for you! Kool

Headphones on the bus + general feeling of whiz-off-ed-ness that suits 'We Came To Shut This Down' and 'Ain't About To Stop'

I recommend the formerk, but not the latter.

It is the first Prince album in a long time that that doesn't (or hardly) sag somewhere along the way.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:40 pm

I do wonder how much of this is actually P, and how much is this new whippersnapper producer. I'm in denial with the over use of autotune.  king

kayjay2000

Post by kayjay2000 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:58 am

Ok, I'm in the top end there!!
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:35 am

maxim9691 wrote:I do wonder how much of this is actually P, and how much is this new whippersnapper producer. I'm in denial with the over use of autotune.  king

I am not too bothered about the former. In the past, many backing tracks and/or finishing touches were contributed by other people than Prince. I'm suspecting that all the horn arrangements, so determining for the sound of Phase 2, were done by someone else than Prince. (But I don't want to open that discussion, as, like I said, it doesn't really matter. I'm interested in the music, not person-cult).

And 'autotune'. Ha! If the had cold that effect 'pitchoder' or 'shift-vocoder', I'm sure people wouldn't be so much against it. Autotune sounds like a defeat, but it can be used just like many other effects.
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:I do wonder how much of this is actually P, and how much is this new whippersnapper producer. I'm in denial with the over use of autotune.  king

I am not too bothered about the former. In the past, many backing tracks and/or finishing touches were contributed by other people than Prince. I'm suspecting that all the horn arrangements, so determining for the sound of Phase 2, were done by someone else than Prince. (But I don't want to open that discussion, as, like I said, it doesn't really matter. I'm interested in the music, not person-cult).

And 'autotune'. Ha! If the had cold that effect 'pitchoder' or 'shift-vocoder', I'm sure people wouldn't be so much against it. Autotune sounds like a defeat, but it can be used just like many other effects.

to be fair, I had the same reaction to the autotune on the track AOA, as it starts the album and it was so jarring at first.  However, on subsequent listens, you realise it was only used on the first couples of verses of AOA and not much more than that the rest of the album.
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:39 pm

AOA , Phase I and II are linked across a period... listen to the them after one another, quite interesting, makes phase I sound a bit better. Embarassed Phase II wins..hands down, closely behind AOA for it spacey atmosphere... Kool
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Not that it helps, but it would be funny if this thread gets more coms than phase II... Laughing
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Side note... the simplified artwork... I do not like it... hidden behind cartoon characters... makes no sense. that's my 2c! Rolling Eyes
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:21 am

CKJ505 wrote:Side note... the simplified artwork... I do not like it... hidden behind cartoon characters... makes no sense. that's my 2c! Rolling Eyes

I think the artwork looks cool; but what doesn't work for me is that two such very different albums have such similar artwork.

Also, Phase 2 would sell much better to an unsuspecting audience if it did have such a cartoony and somewhat cold cover.

So, the oxymoronic conclusion is that I both like and dislike the artwork(s)  Laughing
    Brickscratch

Post by Brickscratch on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 am

CKJ505 wrote:Not that it helps, but it would be funny if this thread gets more coms than phase II... Laughing
    There's a Phase II thread !? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]scratch

I still find it hard to believe that it's rating as low as you're all voting. 

Since the albums came out together, Which have you listened to more?

Phase I [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

or   Plectrumelectrum  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]?

Does one stand out above the other or are they both just OK [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 am

Brick, if I had to choose between the 2, I'd rather listen to phase 1.  Plectrum is dense and more interesting as a performance but seems joyless. Phase 1 has it's issues but underneath it all the songs are fun and light hearted. To sum it up if P would have performed this album with 3rdeyegirl and left out the excessive technology I would have rated it much higher. iMO

Brickscratch

Post by Brickscratch on Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:41 pm

For my tuppence worth, I feel the same way about this current era of music Maxim. I think that Phase I would be a much stronger package if it were more of a band performance but having said that, I don't listen to Plectrum as much as Phase I.
     The 3rd Eye tracks don't reach into my soul & grab me, there's a decent rock root but a distinct lack of the funk.
    ... & I don't wish to decry Josh at the desk but Phase One doesn't have that Paisley smell & taste. 
    Both the 'Phase' albums Are in the main a fair collection of decent songs but something doesn't gel as a complete album Embarassed Phase II musically seems to be going back some way towards the Paisley Park flavour & I look forward to #III.

I also agree with CKJ. about the artwork is of a certain style but we all know the man has more flair, style & individuality than this plain, pale....(urgh) over-simplification. 
    Is it meant as a symbol of stripping things to a minimalist style or just a cheaper type of art direction? I'd take any old shot of the man himself over the 'toon & I think it falls short of the usual lustre of a real P ideal, looks cheap & pretty weak and i imagine doesn't help the promotion of the albums.
    bwicklander

Post by bwicklander on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:56 pm

The cartoon Prince reminds me of Cartman - and I'm waiting for Prince to show up on an episode of South Park. Has anyone else had that thought?
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:53 am

bwicklander wrote:The cartoon Prince reminds me of Cartman - and I'm waiting for Prince to show up on an episode of South Park. Has anyone else had that thought?

I would rather Cartman to be on the cover rather than the hideous "art" being currently used. Rolling Eyes

The positive, the music is much better!  Kool
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:26 am

CKJ505 wrote:
    bwicklander wrote:The cartoon Prince reminds me of Cartman - and I'm waiting for Prince to show up on an episode of South Park. Has anyone else had that thought?

I would rather Cartman to be on the cover rather than the hideous "art" being currently used. Rolling Eyes

The positive, the music is much better!  Kool

I like the art because it's easy to duplicate scared

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:33 am