Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Dump – That Skinny MF with the High Voice? (1998)

Mace2theO

Dump – That Skinny MF with the High Voice? (1998)

Post by Mace2theO on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:39 pm

For some random reason, I pulled this out the other day and it was nice to listen to this "lo-fi" approach....kinda made me think this is what Maxim's P Covers album might have sounded like in some alternate universe Laughing 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

“This is the sound of an underground take on the highest of mainstream pop culture”

James McNew formed Dump, a one-man four-track side project, in January of 1991. After a half-dozen releases, Dump was put aside to focus on his job as bass player for Yo La Tengo. McNew resurrected Dump in 1998 when he released a seven song cassette homage to Purple Yoda entitled “That Skinny MF with the High Voice?”  P fans will recognize the title as a self-referential line from the bizarre song “Bob George” off the infamous Black Album. “That Skinny MF with the High Voice?”  was released on CD in 2001 but is now out of print.

The only way I could describe Dump’s sound would be “low-fi indie.” One thing for sure, it’s definitely a strange and somewhat downbeat experience. At the same time, it’s also totally entertaining. But you have to wonder, how serious is this project? P is an easy target and while this is never jokey, it certainly isn’t totally lacking in levity. I think an important clue can be discerned if you take a look at the song selection. While the majority of the covers are singles, there are three b-sides (“Erotic City,” “How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore?” and “Another Lonely Commercial Holiday”) and one unreleased track (“An Honest Man”). On song selection alone, you have to figure that James McNew must be a serious P fan. As odd as it may seem, I think this is a heartfelt tribute that is expressed in an unexpected way.

Original Cassette artwork

This is an excerpt from an interview with James McNew from the Aquarium Drunkard blog

AD: You released a record of P covers several years back [the hard-to-find "That Skinny MF With the High Voice?", released under the name Dump].

JM: This is totally different, I think, but the P record started as an exercise, because in – I think – 1998, I had gotten some new piece of instantly-obsolete recording gear that I didn’t know how to use.  It was some hard disc recorder and I was upgrading from the Tascam four-track cassette recorder.  I was teaching myself how to use this hard disc thing and I didn’t want to start recording my songs, because I knew I would end up erasing them accidentally, so I just started messing around.  I think “1999” was the first thing that I did.  I was just doing it to get to know the machine, so I tried to loop this drum track and of course I did it wrong.  It came out in 7/4 instead of 4/4, but, you know, I was only off by one beat.  Close enough.  So I thought, “That could work.”  I kept playing with it and teaching myself how to use the machine and after a month I had six or seven P covers.  That’s what I would do – I’d move on to the next one and learn how to edit on the machine.  So I had this cassette that I made for friends and gave to people. My friend Dennis Calaci owns this record label called Shrimper in Southern California wanted to release it.  He had a mostly cassette-only label so we released it there.  It was something we did because it was fun and because it was interesting and someone else suggested that we make it available to the public.  I was pretty happy about the record.  That is, until the Universal Music Group contacted us about the P songs.  Other than that, it was a lot of fun!

EMF Radio - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    purpleblues1

Re: Dump – That Skinny MF with the High Voice? (1998)

Post by purpleblues1 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:52 pm

looks intriguing, will look forward to hearing it.

fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:42 am

Oh Purplebaby...You really not know? In my opinion one of the best coverattempts to P!
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:44 am

Oh....but I have a question. The Original Art is in this also? Ah...I will check... Thanks Maceo

Yeah, it is! Cool!
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:18 am

fkkScoop wrote:Oh....but I have a question. The Original Art is in this also? Ah...I will check... Thanks Maceo

Yeah, it is! Cool!
    The tracklist isn't original.  Both the cassette and the cd that was made later are both out of print

EMF Radio - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:59 am

fkkScoop wrote:Oh Purplebaby...You really not know? In my opinion one of the best coverattempts to P!
    It's OK, but not as good as Ymaginatif's covers music1 

fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:37 am

Mace2theO wrote:
    fkkScoop wrote:Oh....but I have a question. The Original Art is in this also? Ah...I will check... Thanks Maceo

Yeah, it is! Cool!
    The tracklist isn't original.  Both the cassette and the cd that was made later are both out of print
    Ya, I know....but it´s the original Cassette Artwork! It´s cool! Reminds me to the GetOff Artwork
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:37 am

maxim9691 wrote:
    fkkScoop wrote:Oh Purplebaby...You really not know? In my opinion one of the best coverattempts to P!
    It's OK, but not as good as Ymaginatif's covers music1 
    True. Cool
    groovez

Post by groovez on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:57 am

It's the coolest car I've ever laid eyes on! Shocked 
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:28 am

groovez wrote:

It's the coolest car I've ever laid eyes on! Shocked 

Huh?
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:49 am

Never heard of this..seems odd the artwork...ugly if you will.
    Crude to say the least.
    I am more interested in the track listing.
    Thanks for the share! :-)

The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 pm