Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Mazarati Revisited (2013)

Mace2theO

Mazarati Revisited (2013)

Post by Mace2theO on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 pm

MAZARATI, featuring original members OneGunn (Marr Starr), Craig Screamer, and Tony Christian, along with BrownMark and Morris Hayes, has organized to rekindle the songs and vitality of MAZARATI.

Created by Prince and The Revolution bassist and protégé BrownMark in 1984, MAZARATI was the first act to be signed to Paisley Park/Warner Bros. Records, and soon after released their first self- titled album, “MAZARATI 1”, with members Sir Casey Terry, Marr Starr, Craig “ Screamer” Powell, Tony Christian, Aaron “Ace” Paul Keith, Jerome “Romeo”Woodson and Kevin “Kal” Patrick, and co-produced by BrownMark, Prince and David Rivkin. From this album came the band’s first single, “Player’s Ball” followed by “100 MPH,” which rose to #19 on the R&B charts. They also shared in the success of the hit single “KISS” with Prince.

Following the album’s release, MAZARATI toured with an ensemble of artists including Prince, Sheila E., New Edition, George Duke, LL Cool J, Molly Hatchet, Alexander O’Neil, Tamara and the Scene, Jermaine Jackson, Jesse Johnson and many more.

In 1989, after the success of MAZARATI 1 and the group’s emergent international reputation as high-energy performers, Motown Records signed MAZARATI for their second album, “MAZARATI 2”, with Musician/Producer and band originator BrownMark as a lead writer and contributor on the production as well as Michael Sambello (Flashdance), Bernadette Cooper (KLYMAXX) and members of Toto who each wrote and produced several songs.

While Tony Christian and Marr Starr went on to work with Paula Abdul on her debut album “Forever Your Girl” and subsequent album “Head Over Hells”, a new line up of talent members joined the group–Sir Terry Casey, Craig “Screamer” Powell, Greg “G Sharp” Sain, Jerome “Romeo” Woodson, Kevin “Kal” Patrick, Morris Hayes, Lenny Holmes and Dan Satterberg—and MAZARATI released several more singles including “Woman Thang” and “Words”.

In their early career, MAZARATI scored over 300 performances dates from McAllen, Texas to D. C. from Boston to San Francisco, from Thunder Bay Canada to Puerto Rico. Since then, members of the band have gone to work with a variety of musicians and producers including Paula Abdul, Dr. Fink, The Time, Maceo Parker, Stevie Wonder, Prince and more.

Not to be restricted to categorization or industry labels, MAZARATI live concerts have been dubbed as “high energy funk meets hard hitting “rock”. This performance is for fans worldwide that enjoy the intense high-energy sounds that made funk legendary.

MAZARATI is set to release their new single in 2013, followed by music video and their first CD release in several years, written and produced by MAZARATI and The Kommittee. Possibly touring nationally and internationally in the summer and fall of 2013. Prepare yourself for a slamming, hard-hitting high-energy show.

Code:
    http://mazaratirevisited.com/
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    maxim9691

Re: Mazarati Revisited (2013)

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Could be interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:44 am

Cool - I like Maza! Funky tune, I would like to hear more. Kool
    Silver-Tongue

Post by Silver-Tongue on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Classic Tracks: Mazarati  - "Kiss"  - Prince

...... In 1986, Prince was working at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. Engineer David Z, a staffer at Prince's Paisley Park Studios in Minneapolis, remembers getting a call from Prince, asking him to come out for a weekend of work. “I packed three days' worth of clothes and went,” recalls Z. “When I got there, I went in and saw Prince in Studio C, and he told me I would be working in Studio B to produce a new group he had signed [to his Paisley Park label] called Maserati. Then he says, ‘You'll probably be here about a month.’ So I went out and bought more clothes.”

“Kiss” was originally intended for Maserati and came into the studio in the form of one verse and a chorus, on a cassette tape, written, sung and played on an acoustic guitar by Prince, who assured Z that the rest of the song would be forthcoming. It wasn't an auspicious start. “The song sounded like a folk song that Stephen Stills might have done,” Z recalls. “I didn't quite know what to do with it and neither did the group.”

Z began in his usual manner by creating a beat on a Linn 9000 drum machine. “The groove began to get complex, especially the hi-hat pattern,” he says. “I ran the hat through a delay unit, set about 150 milliseconds, printed that to tape and printed the original hat to another track and then alternated between ‘source’ and ‘blend’ on the delay unit, recording those passes. It created a pretty cool rhythm that was constantly changing in tone and complexity but was still steady. Then I played some guitar chords and gated them through a Kepex unit and used that to trigger various combinations of the hi-hat tracks. That gave us the basic rhythm groove for the song.”

Session bassist Mark Brown laid down a bass part, and one of the members of Maserati recorded a piano part that Z says he copped from an old Bo Diddley song called “Hey, Man.” The group's singer put down a lead vocal track an octave lower than Prince's original tenor, and some background vocal parts were invented, based on some ideas Z says he remembered from Brenda Lee's “Sweet Nothings.” “This is what we had at the end of the first couple of days,” Z says with a sigh. “We were trying to build a song out of nothing, piece by piece. It was just a collection of ideas built around the idea of a song that wasn't finished yet. We didn't know where it was going. We were getting a little frustrated, we were exhausted, so we all went home for the night.”

That, however, would prove to be enough. At least for Prince. When Z returned to the studio the next day, he found Prince waiting for him. Sometime that morning, The Artist had apparently come into the studio, asked an assistant to put the track up and then recorded his own vocal and electric guitar part. Z was stunned.

“I asked him what was going on. He said to me, ‘This is too good for you guys. I'm taking it back.’” From that moment on, “Kiss” became a Prince record......

Not a keen fan of Masa myself, but I do not think they got enough recognition for their input in producing and arranging 'Kiss'  Cool 

Code:
    http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_princes_kiss/

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 pm

I watched something on Crackle TV (ROKU) the other day and it had interviews from various Prince peeps and David Z told this story (above) to the camera.

SeeNote

Post by SeeNote on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:19 am

I love the 100 MPH track but the P outtake was off the hook, yo!  (And that's not something said too often) LOL Smile
    ozymandias78

Post by ozymandias78 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:22 pm

this could be really good, i' still trying to find on the web the mazarati 2 album
    darkcloud1721

Post by darkcloud1721 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 am

I would love to see sir casey terry come back 4 this
    pilotwaffle

Post by pilotwaffle on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:39 pm

thx

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:41 am