Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers


    Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Share
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm

    Hi Entropy Peeps,
    Just wondering if any one has an idea of what Mrs. CK should get as she is looking for a tablet readery thingy.

    Choices are : Suspect

    Google Nexus or Amazon Kindle Fire HD - both cost 159.00 sterling.

    Recommendations anyone? or is there another choice.

    By the way Mrs. CK is keeping 40 trillion parsecs away from the ipad range.

    Thanks in advance.
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9772
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Robo Hipster

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by maxim9691 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:28 pm

    CKJ505 wrote:Hi Entropy Peeps,
    Just wondering if any one has an idea of what Mrs. CK should get as she is looking for a tablet readery thingy.

    Choices are : Suspect

    Google Nexus or Amazon Kindle Fire HD - both cost 159.00 sterling.

    Recommendations anyone? or is there another choice.

    By the way Mrs. CK is keeping 40 trillion parsecs away from the ipad range.

    Thanks in advance.

    I consider myself somewhat of an expert when it comes to E-Readers & Tablets.
    I myself have two- A KIndle3 and a Kindle Fire. I work at a library and taught E-Reader classes at our branch for the following devices.
    Kindle Fire
    Kindle Touch
    Nook Tablet
    Nook Simple Touch
    iPad

    So with that in mind , if your only going to be reading on it- one of the Kindle Paper-White's look nice and are dirt cheap.
    But if you are going to use it to run, apps and games then the Kindle Fire is my choice for one simple reason- Side Loading. You can get nearly any app for free and side load them on a Kindle, whereas it's much harder to do on other devices.
    If you are going to use it for reading, games and a small computer then go with the Nexus or even better a new UltraBook.

    iPad vs Kindle Fire HD- the only real advantage I found was the quality of the camera for iPad.
    I'm not an Apple fan but the camera is breath taking for a tablet.

    PLUS- If you get a Kindle Fire I can help out in the Tech Support department and float you some cool content, such as Emulators- play NES,SNES,Genesis, Commodore 64 game on it- I think I have a few 1000 roms Idea


    Last edited by maxim9691 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 pm

    Fire it is then, I love when other people make decisions for me!

    And..there's always an and...if something goes wrong, blame it on the Wookie! Laughing

    Seriously, thank you MaXim for your input. cheers
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9772
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Robo Hipster

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by maxim9691 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 pm

    CKJ505 wrote:Fire it is then, I love when other people make decisions for me!

    And..there's always an and...if something goes wrong, blame it on the Wookie! Laughing

    Seriously, thank you MaXim for your input. cheers

    No Problem, I like it when I can actually help with something important



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 pm

    maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:Fire it is then, I love when other people make decisions for me!

    And..there's always an and...if something goes wrong, blame it on the Wookie! Laughing

    Seriously, thank you MaXim for your input. cheers

    No Problem, I like it when I can actually help with something important

    Here is piece of kit >

    Code:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Dolby-Audio-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi/dp/B0083PWAWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352315471&sr=8-1

    Looks pretty good alright.

    I believe this is the way things are going to go. Idea
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9772
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Robo Hipster

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by maxim9691 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 pm

    CKJ505 wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:Fire it is then, I love when other people make decisions for me!

    And..there's always an and...if something goes wrong, blame it on the Wookie! Laughing

    Seriously, thank you MaXim for your input. cheers

    No Problem, I like it when I can actually help with something important

    Here is piece of kit >

    Code:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Dolby-Audio-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi/dp/B0083PWAWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352315471&sr=8-1

    Looks pretty good alright.

    I believe this is the way things are going to go. Idea

    and this to go with it >>> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:55 am

    maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:Fire it is then, I love when other people make decisions for me!

    And..there's always an and...if something goes wrong, blame it on the Wookie! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Seriously, thank you MaXim for your input. cheers

    No Problem, I like it when I can actually help with something important

    Here is piece of kit >

    Code:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Dolby-Audio-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi/dp/B0083PWAWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352315471&sr=8-1

    Looks pretty good alright.

    I believe this is the way things are going to go. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    and this to go with it >>> [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marware-Vibe-Stand-Kindle-Purple/dp/B008HK3XU4/ref=sr_1_18?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1352330059&sr=1-18
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

    Of course it has to that colour. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Mrs. CK hates that colour.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9772
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Robo Hipster

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by maxim9691 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 am

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:28 pm

    Ok opted for Fire HD, nice piece of work alright.

    It has restrictions still in Ireland but there are ways around that.

    It plays MP3 music & MP4 movies / clips perfectly with a surprising sound quality due to the dual speaker set-up.

    Mrs. CK likes it for the books and books alone.

    Overall she is happy and that's was counts. Laughing
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9772
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Robo Hipster

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by maxim9691 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:13 am

    CKJ505 wrote:Ok opted for Fire HD, nice piece of work alright.

    It has restrictions still in Ireland but there are ways around that.

    It plays MP3 music & MP4 movies / clips perfectly with a surprising sound quality due to the dual speaker set-up.

    Mrs. CK likes it for the books and books alone.

    Overall she is happy and that's was counts. Laughing

    Restrictions ?



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:24 am

    maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:Ok opted for Fire HD, nice piece of work alright.

    It has restrictions still in Ireland but there are ways around that.

    It plays MP3 music & MP4 movies / clips perfectly with a surprising sound quality due to the dual speaker set-up.

    Mrs. CK likes it for the books and books alone.

    Overall she is happy and that's was counts. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Restrictions ?

    Fire HD is restricted in the sense that of some apps are not available in 'our region'.

    Apparently my "friends" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] at apple are at war with Amazon over this phrase or term [App Store], this is still causing problems with Amazon members in Ireland, this will be resolved but court proceedings are in the works to iron out who "owns" the [App Store] term.

    Does App mean Apple or does App mean Application? Discuss...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9772
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Robo Hipster

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by maxim9691 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 am

    CKJ505 wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:Ok opted for Fire HD, nice piece of work alright.

    It has restrictions still in Ireland but there are ways around that.

    It plays MP3 music & MP4 movies / clips perfectly with a surprising sound quality due to the dual speaker set-up.

    Mrs. CK likes it for the books and books alone.

    Overall she is happy and that's was counts. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Restrictions ?

    Fire HD is restricted in the sense that of some apps are not available in 'our region'.

    Apparently my "friends" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] at apple are at war with Amazon over this phrase or term [App Store], this is still causing problems with Amazon members in Ireland, this will be resolved but court proceedings are in the works to iron out who "owns" the [App Store] term.

    Does App mean Apple or does App mean Application? Discuss...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Apple tried to copyright the term "App Store", in the past, but were denied. So to me this law suit looks pretty weak.

    BTW- you can install 'free' apps with an android launcher tool.



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:43 am

    Nice...let me know what an android launcher tool is...

    A link would be good....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9772
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Robo Hipster

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by maxim9691 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 am

    CKJ505 wrote:Nice...let me know what an android launcher tool is...

    A link would be good....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    I use this one >
    Code:
    http://www.appszoom.com/android_applications/productivity/xplorer_bwnwc.html

    Basically what it does is- once you download an app to your PC you need a way to find it once you've moved it to your device.
    This app will browse for it and allow you to install it- once you do that , the app , works correctly- thus allowing you to run apps not sold at Amazon.



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 am

    maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:Nice...let me know what an android launcher tool is...

    A link would be good....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    I use this one >
    Code:
    http://www.appszoom.com/android_applications/productivity/xplorer_bwnwc.html

    Basically what it does is- once you download an app to your PC you need a way to find it once you've moved it to your device.
    This app will browse for it and allow you to install it- once you do that , the app , works correctly- thus allowing you to run apps not sold at Amazon.

    Thanks MaXim, I will have go this evening.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5500
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 46
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by CKJ505 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 pm

    First time posting from a Black Berry Tablet, getting to grips with how it works! Idea

    Sponsored content

    Re: Tablets - Readers - Decisions

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 am