Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #32 - Earth Wind and Fire (Artist Spotlight)

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:21 am

Maceo Musicology Webcast #32 (The Funk of Earth, Wind & Fire) by Mace2theo on Mixcloud

Earth, Wind & Fire were one of the most musically accomplished, critically acclaimed, and commercially popular funk bands of the '70s. Conceived by drummer, bandleader, songwriter, kalimba player, and occasional vocalist Maurice White, EWF's all-encompassing musical vision used funk as its foundation, but also incorporated jazz, smooth soul, gospel, pop, rock & roll, psychedelia, blues, folk, African music, and, later on, disco. Lead singer Philip Bailey gave EWF an extra dimension with his talent for crooning sentimental ballads in addition to funk workouts; behind him, the band could harmonize like a smooth Motown group, work a simmering groove like the J.B.'s, or improvise like a jazz fusion outfit. Plus, their stage shows were often just as elaborate and dynamic as George Clinton's P-Funk empire.

More than just versatility for its own sake, EWF's eclecticism was part of a broader concept informed by a cosmic, mystical spirituality and an uplifting positivity the likes of which hadn't been seen since the early days of Sly & the Family Stone. Tying it all together was the accomplished songwriting of Maurice White, whose intricate, unpredictable arrangements and firm grasp of hooks and structure made EWF one of the tightest bands in funk when they wanted to be. Not everything they tried worked, but at their best, Earth, Wind & Fire seemingly took all that came before them and wrapped it up into one dizzying, spectacular package.
    (allmusic)

As opposed to a greatest hits, the webcast gives you a taste of EWF in the studio, EWF as producers of other artists, and EWF live

Special thanks to CKJ 505 for the cool cover art work...and suggesting this webcast!

Enjoy

http://www.mediafire.com/"censored".php?bmffl6f3kec56oc

Last edited by Mace2theO on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
    fkkScoop

Re: Maceo Musiciology Webcast #32 - Earth Wind and Fire (Artist Spotlight)

Post by fkkScoop on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:19 am

Mhhh, I´m never (oh baby, please don´t hurt me) be so much in EWF, but I will checking this Podcast from my fav Podcaster!
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:08 am

Again I have to set my timer for this evening before I can get a hold of this webcast, I am guessing, and being more honest, I know that this Mace2theO show will be one of my favourites.

I feel like jumping in my car and racing home...

Tempting, very tempting.
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Finally got here, in the cooker as I type. Idea

Ready in 24mins
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 pm

computer love

Lovin' this, and what a wonderful clean HQ sound.

Wonderful music, just wonderful.

More notes to follow... Idea
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Great choice of tracks from different era's , and production skills with other artist.

What a fantastic group the Earth, Wind and Fire are.

Musicians? ... they are much more than that. funky

They [all of them] have set out their "sound" which is more recognisable than Adele. Fact!

And their "sound" is amazing. I really only got into them in the last few years. Boy did I miss out when I grew up.

I know I knew their hits but never got into their albums, plenty time for that.

If they ever come my way...they are one band not to missed.

I still have to write about the webcast yet but I need some more time to listen to it again. [too much happening around the house this evening while trying to be a father...etc...

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:55 pm

CKJ505 wrote:Great choice of tracks from different era's , and production skills with other artist.

Musicians? ... they are much more than that.

They [all of them] have set out their "sound" which is more recognisable than Adele. Fact!

And their "sound" is amazing. I really only got into them in the last few years. Boy did I miss out when I grew up.

I still have to write about the webcast yet but I need some more time to listen to it again. [too much happening around the house this evening while trying to be a father...etc...

you should be around here trying to record - I might have to start including mic break outakes with all the Elsa interuptions!

Looking forward to your comments...they might be the only ones
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Mace2theO wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:Great choice of tracks from different era's , and production skills with other artist.

Musicians? ... they are much more than that.

you should be around here trying to record - I might have to start including mic break outakes with all the Elsa interuptions!

Looking forward to your comments...they might be the only ones

I hope not.

On another note, with the age that our mini-mees are, it can be quite difficult to get to do what we wanna do.

But we shall soldier on non the less king
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:36 am

It's on my to-hear list!! I'm still catching up with a few, I'm afraid ...

Is there no #31, by the way???

I considering the screaming and shouting of the children in the background part of the audio-texture of the songs I record these days ... Smile
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:13 am

Ymaginatif wrote:It's on my to-hear list!! I'm still catching up with a few, I'm afraid ...

I considering the screaming and shouting of the children in the background part of the audio-texture of the songs I record these days ...

Elsa doesn't appear on any (yet) as usually have to do another take and delete the interupted version - so you haven't missed "real life-kids in the badkground" webcast.

#31 was Purple Rehearsals, but issued before #30...sorta like Abbey Road/Let It Be
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Mace2theO wrote:
    Ymaginatif wrote:It's on my to-hear list!! I'm still catching up with a few, I'm afraid ...

I considering the screaming and shouting of the children in the background part of the audio-texture of the songs I record these days ...

Elsa doesn't appear on any (yet) as usually have to do another take and delete the interupted version - so you haven't missed "real life-kids in the badkground" webcast.

#31 was Purple Rehearsals, but issued before #30...sorta like Abbey Road/Let It Be

I'm ready for Part Deux featuring some Chicago/EWF live cuts

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 am

maxim9691 wrote:
    Mace2theO wrote:

Would like to hear that, is MaXim do Part Deux?
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:13 pm

CKJ505 wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:
    Mace2theO wrote:

Originally, 25 or 6 to 4 with Chicago was the bonus track, but ended up using a rare track instead

I definitely think there could be a Part Deux featuring EWF and Chicago - I only have a rip of the DVD, but maybe Maxim has more to add in?
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Mace2theO wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:
    Mace2theO wrote:

Originally, 25 or 6 to 4 with Chicago was the bonus track, but ended up using a rare track instead

I definitely think there could be a Part Deux featuring EWF and Chicago - I only have a rip of the DVD, but maybe Maxim has more to add in?

Actually I don't have a single track from EWF+Chicago. I have noticed the DVD around but so far have resisted buying it.

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:21 pm

RIP Maurice

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Yeah, I heard the news earlier today, sad day for music.

May he rest in peace.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 am