Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Mashing up 'Purple Rain': Diplomats, Bangers join mix-tape frenzy and unleash fresh new tunes

maxim9691

Mashing up 'Purple Rain': Diplomats, Bangers join mix-tape frenzy and unleash fresh new tunes

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We all know that mash-ups have been the hip thing to do. After the Jay-Z and Linkin Park performance at the 2006 Grammy Awards with Paul McCartney, it's officially mainstream. The blending of Jay-Z's "Encore" with Linkin Park's "Numb" and the Beatles' "Yesterday" may conceptually sound far-fetched, but sonically it's not.

If it's adventure you seek from your mashes, check out "Jon Moskowitz Presents: Purple Reign." The mix tape is exactly what the name promises: a combination of the core MCs from the Diplomats--Jim Jones, Juelz Santana and Cam'Ron--mashed up with the "Purple Rain" soundtrack and audio clips.

Jon Moskowitz has made a run from these mash-ups, or combination mix tapes. He's also the father of "Blue Eyes in Bed-Stuy," a mix tape produced by DJ Cappel & Smitty, mashing up the Notorious B.I.G.'s lyrics with Frank Sinatra's beats in 2005. It doesn't sound as crazy as you might think.

"I usually come up with the ideas and pick producers with a background in the format," Moskowitz says. "1 did Bob Harley and Mobb Deep, it was called 'Bobb Deep' in 2004 with a producer named Swindle. And then I did 'Blue Eyes in Bed-Stuy,' and that's when it all came together."

Moskowitz doesn't call his mix tapes "mash-ups"--after all, the term is passe--but rather, "remixes with a theme." And the Bangers, the production duo behind "Purple Reign," agree. Comprising Nik@Nite and Rok One, the pair of native New York club DJs are in their late 20s. Nik has been spinning since he was about 14 years old, while Rok, who used to HC, released a single in the '90s called "Certified Superior" on Bobbito Garcia's old label, Fondle 'Em Records. The guys now have a residency at Savalas bar in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, and plan to get into original production.

[GRAPHIC OMITTED]

"We didn't want it to be a gimmick album," Rok says. "It is, but we wanted it to be musically good at the same time. I met up with Jon and asked him to keep us in mind when he put this one together, because I know Prince's whole catalog back to front. No one knows Prince like I know Prince."

And though the guys put together a fresh approach to Harlem cult king Cam'ron, not everyone's excited.

"There's a couple of Prince sites that hate it," Rok says. "And some like it. But this is just an experiment. We were just combining two elements that you can't see together."

Unfortunately, another mix-tape group, the Tapemasters Inc. & John Shotti, allegedly heard about the impending Bangers project and tried to corner the market. Shotti's "A Prince in Harlem," featuring Cam'ron, Jones, Santana, Big Pun, N.O.R.E and the Lox, hit in April, just before the Bangers' "Purple Reign" dropped in May.

"Moskowitz actually ran into the guy in a club, and he admitted that he stole the idea," Rok says. "And he told Moskowitz that he should just try putting 'Purple Reign' out before they did. His project isn't worth talking about. He brutalized Prince."

We have not tracked down "A Prince in Harlem" yet, so we can't judge the competition. But we will say this: The combination of Cam'ron's "What Means the World to You" sliced over Prince's "When Doves Cry" on "Purple Reign" is a pure, refreshing delight.

HILLARY CROSLEY

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    purpleblues1

Re: Mashing up 'Purple Rain': Diplomats, Bangers join mix-tape frenzy and unleash fresh new tunes

Post by purpleblues1 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:33 pm

I love a good max up.. or whatever they're calling them this week.
    've posted some here, as sent to me by their creator, so spreading the word legally... Smile
    fkkScoop

Re: Mashing up 'Purple Rain': Diplomats, Bangers join mix-tape frenzy and unleash fresh new tunes

Post by fkkScoop on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Yeah...

I would like to hear some MAXUPs cheers
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Uh....its from 2006!

Never heard before about it! Bamm!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 pm