Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Maceo Musicology Webcast (March '11)

Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast (March '11)

Post by Mace2theO on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Maceo Musicology Webcast - Neo Soul : An Alternative View

Neo Soul
    Developed in the United States and United Kingdom during the 1980s and early
    1990s as a soul "revival" movement, Neo Soul is distinguished by a less
    conventional sound than the producer-driven, digitally-approached
    R&B of the time, incorporating elements ranging from jazz, funk, and
    hip hop to pop, fusion, and African music. The term Neo Soul was
    originally coined by Kedar Massenburg of Motown Records in the late
    1990s as a marketing category following the commercial breakthroughs of
    artists such as D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, and Maxwell. (wiki)

The Neo Soul movement was coming on strong with D'Angelo, Lauren Hill, Jill Scott, Erykah et all, but I was drawn to the more alternative side of it. They seemed to be expanding the definition of soul more so than the others. In addition, many of these artists were the first generation that had grown up on Prince. I think it's reflected not in sounding like Prince, but trying not to boxed in by the labels of soul, r&b or rock n roll...or Neo Soul

So we were cleaning out the basement and I came across some mixed cassettes I had made in the early-to-mid 90's. A lot of them contained songs by (then) new artists releasing their 1st album, who I thought were making some interesting music.

It was also a chance for me to channel Ymaginatif and feature more female artists than usual

Track list

1. Change Your Life - Sunchilde
    This is band I found through Dave at the cd store "Rebel Rebel" on Bleeker Street in NYC. I love this song, but can't find anything about them on the web. It's a corker with a great hook and a funky groove. Enjoy.

2. Two Lonely Hearts (On the Subway) - Me'Shell NdegéOcello
    Bassist and singer Me'Shell Ndegéocello's music twists and turns through many genres — R&B, pop, jazz, hip-hop — and her lyrics spin conventional racial and sexual identities. Ndegéocello defies labels throughout, tagging her slinking and crawling songs with a rubbery flow that's just as rooted in '70s funky soul as it is in '90s hip-hop culture. This is a beautiful funky track from her debut 'Plantation Lullabies.'

3. Hurt So Bad - Kina
    Kina isn't afraid of being original. As a former member of the group Brownstone Kina stepped away from that sound and has really let her own true self be heard on songs like this cut. She's got the vocal power of Tina Turner and Chaka. Check out here how she uses her voice to mimic the instruments on this cut from her self-titled debut.

4. Tennessee - Arrested Development
    Arrested Development was an alternative hip hop group founded by Speech and Headliner as a positive, Afrocentric alternative to the gangsta rap popular in the early 1990s. Their sound reflected a uniquely rural perspective, and melodic blend of funk and rap. The band's first hit, "Tennessee" from their debut album spoke of reclaiming Southern black traditions from the racism that sullied their memory, with Dionne Farris's soaring vocals the highlight. btw, the song contains a sample of Prince's "Alphabet St.".

5. Passion - Dionne Farris

Here Farris steps out on her own with a track from her strong debut album called 'Wild Seed-Wild Flower' where she blends elements of hip-hop and alternative rock. Her strong voice rocks out here on the r&b thrasher 'Passion'

6. Sympathy for the Crow - David Ryan Harris
    David Ryan Harris' former band, Follow for Now, was poised to become the next Living Colour before the black rock revolution fizzled. After a short period out of the limelight, Harris began working as a producer and featured guitarist with Dionne Farris, a former vocalist from hip-hop group Arrested Development. Harris’ guitar work can be heard throughout Farris’ 1995 album 'Wild Seed, Wild Flower.' Reflecting his southern roots, he released his self-titled debut album in 1997. Harris's solo album is more sophisticated lyrically and musically than FFN, with cool melodies, some crunchy guitar work and bottom heavy bass with a sound best described as "Allman Brothers-meets-Stevie Wonder"

7. Listen - Urban Species
    Urban Species is a British hip-hop band, drawing on a diverse range of influences (including reggae, blues, funk, dub, jazz, ragga and acoustic folk). Urban Species released their debut album 'Listen' in May 1994. The title track features the musicality of their approach, incorporating live acoustic guitars alongside the samples and programming, and going for a spacious, organic feel. This track also features french hip hop artist MC Solar and an amazing battle between two acoustic guitars toward the end

8. Dont' Take That Attitude to Your Grave - Ben Harper
    Ben Harper's first album 'Welcome to the Cruel World' was everything that was good about Ben Harper - he was devoted to vintage acoustic guitars, writing original political songs and making music based on Mississippi Delta blues. This song from his debut hits the blues, but with lyrics worthy of Tupac in discussing LA life at the time.

9. Nervous Breakdown - Carleen Anderson

Carleen Anderson was most well known as the lead singer in the acid jazz group Young Disciples, but she is the daughter of the singer Vicki Anderson and stepdaughter of Bobby Byrd, who were both part of the James Brown musical family. After doing backing vocals for Paul Weller, she recorded her first solo album 'True Spirit' in 1994. This jam features socially conscious concerns over a seriously funky groove with a great horn line.

10. Education of Jamie (edit) The Family Stand

The world according to The Family Stand is full of funk, love, rage and introspection. Formed by the powerhouse triple team of vocalist/keyboard wizard Peter Lord, vocalist multi-instrumentalist V. Jeffrey Smith and soul siren Sandra St. Victor, the band made the legendary "Moon In Scorpio" in 1991. Written by Lord and featuring the thermonuclear vocals of St. Victor and Ronnie Drayton evoking "Maggot Brain" on guitar, "The Education of Jamie" is a cautionary talk about a sista in 80's post race America pursuing the upper, middle, middle, upper, upper class" dream.

11. Boyfriend/Sexy MF (live) - Me'Shell Ndegéocello
    And we close with Me'Shell on bass, live in 1994. This is too funky.

Enjoy - all 3 of you
    mediafire.com ?6e16hhx4golr9cy

Last edited by Mace2theO on Mon May 16, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CKJ505

Re: Maceo Musicology Webcast (March '11)

Post by CKJ505 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Love the dread lock holiday look!

Grabbing a piece of the 90's, will listen to it tomorrow.

Quite fitting as my 1st podcast has some sort connection as soul music means a lot to all of us.
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 am

3 new podcasts all in one week?!

Who said Entropy wasn't alive and kicking?! Laughing

The good news is that I've just bought brand new special inner ear directly attached to the brain with antennae and golden flashlights headphones for my iPod, so I've suddenly got a bunch of stuff to feed it!

cheers

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Right up my alley- I'll lend a grateful ear!
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:55 am

So has Ymaginatif had a chance to listen? For a half day, this podcast was going to be called "What if Ymaginatif was a Black American living in NYC in the 90's"

Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 am

Y has been struggling so much with his new headphones that he hasn't found the time to listen to ANY podcasts?!!!! pull hair
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 am

Mace2theO wrote:So has Ymaginatif had a chance to listen? For a half day, this podcast was going to be called "What if Ymaginatif was a Black American living in NYC in the 90's"

Something is just not right here...
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Mon May 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Tracklist now provided, with new cover

or pick up over at the webcast blog EMF Radio
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Mon May 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Wow, I'm so far behind on this webcast. Here is to hoping that winter returns soon that I have time to listen Very Happy

Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Tue May 17, 2011 4:40 am

And you only have 4 days before the apocalypse starts?!!

(my colleague at work informed me that there is one due in four days time, predicted by someone who claims that it will be exactly 7000 years after the Great Flood. And apparently God had informed humanity that that would be the case. I thought God had said that he would NEVER do such thing again, and had put the rainbow there as a visible sign of his promise? Ah well, we must read different sources ...)

((Haha, it starts with a Maceo podcast, and it ends with Judgement Day!!))

(((Me too, I still have to listen to this one! Shame on me!! I better hurry)))
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 am

Ah - I noticed I HAD listened to it before! Laughing

Even if I have only four days left to enjoy life, a repeat-listen to this one hour chunk of Neo-soul certainly wasn't a waste of time! Cool
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue May 17, 2011 8:23 am

Ymaginatif wrote:And you only have 4 days before the apocalypse starts?!!

(my colleague at work informed me that there is one due in four days time, predicted by someone who claims that it will be exactly 7000 years after the Great Flood. And apparently God had informed humanity that that would be the case. I thought God had said that he would NEVER do such thing again, and had put the rainbow there as a visible sign of his promise? Ah well, we must read different sources ...)

((Haha, it starts with a Maceo podcast, and it ends with Judgement Day!!))

(((Me too, I still have to listen to this one! Shame on me!! I better hurry)))

May 21st is the day that some E-Religion(internet based group) has signaled as the end of the world, and by fire so it claims.
    My sister believed that there would be global Earthquake yesterday so she kept the Kids home to protect them.
    She too believes what your Colleague believes, she is a nut by the way.
    Jah has not shared the date for the end of the way things are working on Earth with anyone, even his son Jesus, so the Bibles says.
    I guess we can all have a laugh if we live to see the 22nd Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:39 am