Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

What's Your Latest Music Acquisition?

darkcloud1721

Re: What's Your Latest Music Acquisition?

Post by darkcloud1721 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I love this group have since they came out. I can listen 2 their entire cd's without skipping tracks. Plus they play a range of music. Prince thinks highly of them so much so that he gave their guitarist a blue cloud guitar that has the O+> on the fretboard.

They are opening 4 him on his 21 night stand in LA a couple of nites. Plus i jsut got tixs 2 their show in July. Very Happy

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:49 pm

darkcloud1721 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I love this group have since they came out. I can listen 2 their entire cd's without skipping tracks. Plus they play a range of music. Prince thinks highly of them so much so that he gave their guitarist a blue cloud guitar that has the O+> on the fretboard.

They are opening 4 him on his 21 night stand in LA a couple of nites. Plus i jsut got tixs 2 their show in July. Very Happy

Was listening to the Audio from the 22nd performance while opening for Prince. Was thinking about hunting some of their studio music down myself. DC thanks for reminding me.

darkcloud1721

Post by darkcloud1721 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:24 pm

maxim9691 wrote:

Was listening to the Audio from the 22nd performance while opening for Prince. Was thinking about hunting some of their studio music down myself. DC thanks for reminding me.

I can upload some stuff & U can read if u would like?

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:27 pm

darkcloud1721 wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:

I can upload some stuff & U can read if u would like?

Let me have a look around first

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:49 pm

I recently acquired:

Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'

This cd was a pleasant surprise! It's a 10 song set and when I listened to the entire cd, I was surprise at how good it was and how fast it went by! The songs are amazing! My faves are Over You, Movin' Down the Line (the baseline is amazing!! Straight from the 60's!!), Just Don't, Good Man, The Answer. In my opinion, this cd is one of the best that Raphael has made thus far. Definitely get this one if you can!! You won't regret it if you like good R&B. He's still going back to his early influences from the 60's and 70's, but he's definitely putting his own touch on these songs/gems! This one is in heavy rotation for me.
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Sun May 01, 2011 4:18 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    have all found there way here over the last month...
    along with The Decemberists,Steve Earle, Amp Fiddler,Black Joe Lewis and this:-[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] which doesn't fit in with the summery, nu country / folk vibe of the others, but, it is GIL SCOTT HERON. end of story...

suppose a podcast could evolve from them.... if there's enough time in between listening!

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Sun May 01, 2011 5:28 am

purpleblues1 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    along with The Decemberists,Steve Earle, Amp Fiddler,Black Joe Lewis and this:- which doesn't fit in with the summery, nu country / folk vibe of the others, but, it is GIL SCOTT HERON. end of story...

suppose a podcast could evolve from them.... if there's enough time in between listening!

Glad you found Tina - a Danish singer a friend a work turned me on to! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

EMF Radio - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Sun May 01, 2011 7:51 am

Mace2theO wrote:
    purpleblues1 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    along with The Decemberists,Steve Earle, Amp Fiddler,Black Joe Lewis and this:- which doesn't fit in with the summery, nu country / folk vibe of the others, but, it is GIL SCOTT HERON. end of story...

Glad you found Tina - a Danish singer a friend a work turned me on to! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yep, me too - I found Tina a few years ago. To my ears her sound is similar to Missy Higgins, which is a good thing to me.

Post by Guest on Sun May 01, 2011 8:47 am

A friend of mine also introduced me to Tina, love this album!!!!
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Sun May 01, 2011 10:02 am

I was given this a while back:

Then got a pre release of this excellent follow up...

so I am happy to see that my fellow Entropeans share my exquisite taste Smile

Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Sun May 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Looks like I have some catching up to do!!!!!

The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Wed May 04, 2011 5:01 pm

I know, I should stop feeding this habit ,but there's so much choice!!
    these ( escept Grant Lee Buffalo) were all random picks from a pile of pre-releases, most are out this month, none I'd ever heard of before picking.. I'll let you know what they're like, but so far, Gus Mac is the new Don McLean..

purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Tue May 10, 2011 3:19 pm

oh dear, that nasty CD buying bug struck again today :-
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    and I also had an attack of DVD fever..
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] afro afro afro afro afro

purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Tue May 10, 2011 3:22 pm

purpleblues1 wrote:oh dear, that nasty CD buying bug struck again today :-
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    and I also had an attack of DVD fever..
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] afro afro afro afro afro
    oh, all for £19.... sunny

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Tue May 10, 2011 3:26 pm

That would be around €100-120 here, that's why so many stores are closing. Nobody buying at prices like that. At £19 that is fantastic value. Nice! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 pm

CKJ505 wrote:That would be around €100-120 here, that's why so many stores are closing. Nobody buying at prices like that. At £19 that is fantastic value. Nice! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    It's all down to 2 local dealers who specialize in good quality 2nd hand ( like new) - The Rolling Stones, David Bowie & Guillemots and another who gets promo copies, review issues, etc - Magazine gap, Robyn Ludwick & Motown DVD..
    I'd never heard of Magazine gap or Robyn , but bought them on the strength of the artwork..
    They're a great soul / rock band from London, she's a Texan Country singer! ( thanks Amazon Smile )
    The Rolling Stones are some revisionist RnB outfit from Essex apparently... Y might be aware of them as they were contempories of that other RnB beat combo, the Spiders.. oh no, that's David Bowie's band..
    and th Guillemots completed the animal connection afro

fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Sun May 22, 2011 1:26 pm

I´ve done some "Adding to the Collection" Buys the last few days (weeks)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All of these (except one) I had before in one or another way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] but thought by myself I want them in Original cuz they are all worth it!

AND
    Almost all (except 4 of them) are Special Editions !!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This means they have Bonustracks and/or a Bonus DVD in the Package!
    And (except 3) they are all Digipacks! Ha, didn´t see it before...but it´s true! Cool!

AND

I didn´t bought them all in one store!

One I purchase at ebay = NIN - Year Zero (UK Release and send from UK) 8€ (Here it cost 15 or more)
    Three I bought at Amazon Marketplace = Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me 6,49€ (Amazon = 7,99€)
    and
    Nine Inch Nails - Y34rz3r0r3mix3d (With DVD) 8,99€ (Amazon = 12,49€)
    Van Morrison - It´s Too Late to Stop Now (Remastered with BonusTracks) 9,99€ (Amazon 19,99€)
    2 at Amazon:
    William Fitzsimmons - Gold in the Shadow (Deluxe Edition) with a second CD with Acoustic Versions and 2 Bonus Tracks
    (Which is almost better then the Original Version) 9,99€ and at the Local Record Dealer 24,99€!
    HIM - Uneasy Listening Part 1+2 (A 2 CD "BEST OF" with "REMIX" Versions from 29 Songs)
    Not a Official BestOf and not really Mixes in the usual way, more different Versions!
    Very cool and almost Acoustic Versions (not really Acoustic) and not from one Recording Session...
    this is more a not existing B-SIDE Compilation from the A-side Singles! ;-)
    10,49€
    (at The Local and not so Local Record Dealer this Edition not even exists, only the Part1 and Part2 as Single CDs and each of them cost 12-15€)

The rest of the bunch I bought in different Citys and different stores
    The both System of a Down CDs I bought in 2 different Citys but in the same Supermarket chain (?)!
    Cuz they had a Discount but in one store the Mezmerize CD was sold out already! 5€ each!
    At the same market I bought also Tool - 10,000 Days for extraordinary 6,99 euros (cuz at Amazon it cost 17,98)
    and normally Amazon is the Number 1 in the lowest prize!
    I thought this until yesterday....
    I was in a small electromarket with a even smaller CD section....look a bit around...saw the Top 10 and some Classics...would leave it immediatly...
    on my way out of the store my eye catch a small shelf with CDs on it hidden in the corner...OK, take a look I thought...and Tada!!!
    Lenny Kravitz - It´s Time for a Love Revolution
    (With DVD Lenny discuss the CD Track by Track and 8 Music Videos from his career) 8€ (Amazon 25,99€)
    Live Earth 2007 - 2 DVDs and 1 CD for 7€ (Amazon 21,99€)
    Times of Grace - The Hymn of a Broken Man (Special Edition with DVD) 5€ (Amazon 20,99€)
    Slipknot - All hope is gone (Special Edition with 3 Bonustracks and DVD) 5€ (Amazon Marketplace 39,99€) and at Amazon out of Stock!
    Fury in the Slaughterhouse - Acoustic Grand Cru Classe (2CD) 8€ (Amazon 15,99€)
    And the NEW one for me was "The Devil´s Blood - The Time Of No Time Evermore" 5€ (Amazon 18,99€)
    bought this cuz I knew the EP from this Dutch HeavyMetalRockBand with 2 singers and thought YEAH,
    also the critics and the anticipation for this album was HUGE
    (Not in every corner of this world guys, I know :-))) )
    but after jumping in the car and unwrapping the CD my first thought was: ...?
    because the first 15 seconds of the record are empty....and then...far far away a guitar begins to play....getting louder and coming nearer and nearer....and then BAAAAM...
    all comes in (or out) of the speakers...first seconds are awesome...MUSIC is really AWESOME...
    but what did they done with the voices?
    Mhhh... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] is not 100% happy but ok....thought I will get more from the album, because of the really really good EP they released last year!
    And also because every HARDROCK magazine name the band "The best band since..." and " Greatest Debut of all time" etc etc....

Mhh... NOPE! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But anyway...I´m happy to get so much CDs for (in my country) cheap prices!

I will introduce to you some of the artists in the next time!

Oh, and a message to you Mr Ymaginatif: Name the band only by watching at the cover! TOOL, System of a Down, Slipknot,
    Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    or just name the Band[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (ok, me think this was funny!)

Oh, and please could someone tell me how these CDs/Genres could fit together in ONE musical mind? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Sun May 22, 2011 3:12 pm

I can comment on most of your choices because they are not my style , but the Lenny Kravitz looks cool cheers

Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Mon May 23, 2011 4:17 am

Scoop, you buy CDs with ugly covers Laughing

For me too - that's unknown material.

The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Mon May 23, 2011 8:05 am

I recognise the 2nd last album, it's from a band called "Tool".

My bother is big into them, I do take a listen now and again.

They are an experimental heavyish rock group, quite obscure with their music.

One thing I will add is that their drummer is just amazing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 am

Tool 10000 days is a wonderful package - it folds out into a 3D stereoscope , with various pictures to view.
    Musically, as CK says, its very post metal, but not in a more chords and time signature changes than hairs in our facial hair way.....
    Van, well, you can't go wrong with him, the others are a bit Belgian techno / post gothic Euro Rock for me,
    Except Lenny and the live Earth CD set, which I do possess...
    I'm intrigued by the William Fitzsimmons - he looks like some Deep South Americana artist, with interesting facial hair to match, I'm thinking Bon Iver / Fleet Foxes / Iron & Wine style, though he could be an avant garde post math rock drummer, that would fit with the other CD's..

purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 am

But , I must confess that I do really know who he is, as I did have a promo copy of this... was pretending not to for comedic effect, sorry scoop...

( but I still think that the post industrial grunge vibe is too much for me now, It's Summer after all..
    We should be listening to The Isley Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, acoustic Led Zeppelin, Otis Redding, some righteous dub reggae , some Hendrix and be dancing around bonfires whilst Vintage Trouble funk the blues up into the night...

purpleaxxe

Post by purpleaxxe on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 am

One word; FONK !!

Oh and a great album cover too. !!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and lots more ( P boots Smile )

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:52 pm

purpleaxxe wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One word; FONK !!

Oh and a great album cover too. !!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If Maceo does not have this, he will want it, in fact so do I.....

You are correctamundo, Fonk is the one word. afro

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:38 am