Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers


    Interesting Facts

    Share
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 am

    The first product to have a bar code was Wrigleys gum. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:33 am

    A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    Ymaginatif

    Posts : 5107
    Join date : 2009-06-09
    Age : 42
    Location : imagination

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by Ymaginatif on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 am

    CKJ505 wrote:A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    That's not true tongue



    The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    fkkScoop

    Posts : 2763
    Join date : 2009-08-28
    Age : 38
    Location : Germany

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by fkkScoop on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 am

    ....But Interesting rofl
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:50 pm

    Ymaginatif wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    That's not true [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    It is:

    The earliest technical usage for jiffy was defined by Gilbert Newton Lewis (1875–1946).

    He proposed a unit of time called the "jiffy" which was equal to the time it takes light to travel one centimetre (approximately 33.3564 picoseconds).I

    t has since been redefined for different measurements depending on the field of study. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    Ymaginatif

    Posts : 5107
    Join date : 2009-06-09
    Age : 42
    Location : imagination

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by Ymaginatif on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 am

    It's much earlier than that:

    A very short space of time: only in such phrases as in a jiffy, in a trice.
    1785 Munchhausen's Trav. xxiii. (1792) 96 In six jiffies I found myself and all my retinue‥at the rock of Gibralter.
    1796 Grose's Classical Dict. Vulgar Tongue (ed. 3) (at cited word), It will be done in a jeffy: it will be done in a short space of time, in an instant.
    1834 F. Marryat Peter Simple I. xiii. 192 We were ordered to South America; and the trade winds took us there in a jiffey.
    1841 T. Hood Tale of Trumpet iii, in New Monthly Mag. Sept. 158 In half a jiffy, or less than that.
    1880 C. H. Spurgeon John Ploughman's Pictures 100 They have wonderful plans for doing everything in a jiffy.




    The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:40 am

    Ymaginatif wrote:It's much earlier than that:

    A very short space of time: only in such phrases as in a jiffy, in a trice.
    1785 Munchhausen's Trav. xxiii. (1792) 96 In six jiffies I found myself and all my retinue‥at the rock of Gibralter.
    1796 Grose's Classical Dict. Vulgar Tongue (ed. 3) (at cited word), It will be done in a jeffy: it will be done in a short space of time, in an instant.
    1834 F. Marryat Peter Simple I. xiii. 192 We were ordered to South America; and the trade winds took us there in a jiffey.
    1841 T. Hood Tale of Trumpet iii, in New Monthly Mag. Sept. 158 In half a jiffy, or less than that.
    1880 C. H. Spurgeon John Ploughman's Pictures 100 They have wonderful plans for doing everything in a jiffy.


    I would say you copied and pasted that in a jiffy ! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    My next post will get you really going... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:51 am

    Windmills always turn counter-clockwise.
    Except for the windmills in Ireland. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:12 am

    In North Carolina, it is against the law for a rabbit to race down the street. Suspect






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    Ymaginatif

    Posts : 5107
    Join date : 2009-06-09
    Age : 42
    Location : imagination

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by Ymaginatif on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 am

    CKJ505 wrote:In North Carolina, it is against the law for a rabbit to race down the street. Suspect

    is merely a brisk pace allowed?



    The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:19 am

    Ymaginatif wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:In North Carolina, it is against the law for a rabbit to race down the street. Suspect

    is merely a brisk pace allowed?

    Quite true...how does one quantify when is a rabbit racing? I think rabbits have only a few stances.


    • Stopped
    • Moving
    • Hopping gently
    • Going like the clappers


    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    By the way, Y, there is a cat sitting on your Y. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    Ymaginatif

    Posts : 5107
    Join date : 2009-06-09
    Age : 42
    Location : imagination

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by Ymaginatif on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:03 pm

    CKJ505 wrote:

    By the way, Y, there is a cat sitting on your Y. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    somebody probably thought I was fond of animals ... Laughing



    The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9621
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Retired NPG Vandal

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by maxim9691 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm

    CKJ505 wrote:Windmills always turn counter-clockwise.
    Except for the windmills in Ireland. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Wind mills in Australia turn clock wise



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm

    maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:Windmills always turn counter-clockwise.
    Except for the windmills in Ireland. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Wind mills in Australia turn clock wise

    It's because they are upside down. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:31 pm

    Ymaginatif wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:

    By the way, Y, there is a cat sitting on your Y. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    somebody probably thought I was fond of animals ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Also there is a scorpion crawling across your "i", not to be mistaken with your own eye. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:57 am

    Babe Ruth wore a cabbage leaf under his cap to keep him cool.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    He changed it every 2 innings.






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:11 am

    It's against the law to pawn your dentures in Las Vegas. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 am

    A man who stands on a toilet is high on pot. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:58 am

    If you drive like hell, you are bound to get there. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:14 am

    If you fish on another man's shore, you will often catch crabs. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 am

    A passionate kiss is like a spiders' web, it leads to undoing of a fly. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    CKJ505

    Posts : 5497
    Join date : 2010-04-21
    Age : 45
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by CKJ505 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 am

    Birds of a feather flock together . . . .and then they distroy your car. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]






    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9621
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Retired NPG Vandal

    Non Comedic Interesting Fact

    Post by maxim9691 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:38 am

    During the song "A Day in the Life," a dog whistle was recorded by Paul McCartney for his sheepdog "Martha"



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    Ymaginatif

    Posts : 5107
    Join date : 2009-06-09
    Age : 42
    Location : imagination

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by Ymaginatif on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 am

    maxim9691 wrote:During the song "A Day in the Life," a dog whistle was recorded by Paul McCartney for his sheepdog "Martha"

    AFTER 'A Day In the Life' - and I always heard it was John Lennon's doing.
    The funny thing is: I can actually just about hear it!! tongue



    The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    maxim9691

    Posts : 9621
    Join date : 2008-10-14
    Age : 48
    Location : Retired NPG Vandal

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by maxim9691 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 am

    Ymaginatif wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:During the song "A Day in the Life," a dog whistle was recorded by Paul McCartney for his sheepdog "Martha"

    AFTER 'A Day In the Life' - and I always heard it was John Lennon's doing.
    The funny thing is: I can actually just about hear it!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Yes most people can hear the sound because the recording altered the pitch and amp a tiny bit.
    It's just before the runout noise at the end of the song.

    They both (John and Paul) seem to be credited with the idea but since Paul was a dog owner and John was cat owner then I tend believe it was Paul who came up with the idea.



    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Sponsored content

    Re: Interesting Facts

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 am