Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Q&A With Paisley Park Engineer, David Friedlander

maxim9691

Re: Q&A With Paisley Park Engineer, David Friedlander

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:58 am

example.

On a similar topic did you ever feel your technical expertise or bass playingoffered enough to deserve creative credit on a song?

A:its a good question but I hate entering this territory cause its so hard for meto comment on these subtleties that happened so long ago. Im not a know it allso im just going to have to pass. good question though My favorite part of theExodus record was recording all those segues. Those were all good fun.

Naw, credit was given where credit was due. They made sure we got gold recordsto hang on our walls as well.

Q: The Terence TrentD'Arby/Prince story came out online a few years back. Would love to hear yourtake on what went down..

A:Another instance of a guy coming in thinkin he can play gtr next to the gtrmaster. Played in the wrong keys, when Prince broke the band down he wouldstill be playin. He lasted 5 minutes and then poof! Where is Terrence? I wasjoking with the band the next day like what key was he playin in anyways? thekey of H? the key of Hell no!

Q: All TC Ellis stories arewelcome. On a related point did you feel Prince was tongue in cheek or straightfaced serious when he started adopting phrases of the day like "Pump upthe big noise!" and "In the house!" on collaborations with TC,Tony and the like?

A:TC shows you what you can get if you are persistent. He was a drug runner for along time. like weed flyer from mexico. Then he was a fighter. He used to justbug the &%*$ out of Prince at the clubs. he just wanted to record, gimme me achance. He was persistent and it paid off. He got his deal. Wonder what everhappened to him. I loved that guy.

COMMENT:worked on 50% of the stuff during my time period. I worked with George Clinton onhis record there so I was off his session for a period there. I didnt just workfor Prince in that 8 years. We all jumped around. theres a few from that periodthat dont ring a bell. Thats Me and Kyle Bess singing "hide the bone"

Q: Presumably you left thePrince camp just before the Emancipation sessions. What are your thoughts onthis project and how would you have steered it differently if at all?

A:dont know anything about it. I didnt do any steering,just enjoyed the ride.

Q: Thanks for answering myquestion earlier! I have another one, if I may. We here on this board havedebated the scream that opens up "Gett Off" on Diamonds and Pearls.It's been said that the scream was performed by Rosie, but some people say it'sPrince. Can you say for sure?
    A:I cant say for sure.didnt record it. Think Koppleman did. Gett off pissed meoff. I wanted to do the edits on that tune. I was off his session at the momentworking on something else and there was this unknown guy editing it in theediting room. He was in there forever. Some fancy guy he hired from LA to dothe edits. I wasnt impressed, did a
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:58 am

couplestutters and a bit of aextending, Id have torn that song up. yea you could sayi was jealous but it was true.

Q: Have you ever written abook or do you think about writing a book?

A:I will never write a book ever. I will never talk about this stuff again. Nextweek its all over for me. Im going to urge the mods to delete this thread. youall were here, We shared a moment, I was able to accomplish what I wanted todo. and thats the end. I just ask all of you please respect this. please dontburn me and repost my posts and godforbid use this info to make your own book.Id be crushed. Im trying to be cool here.

Q: thanks for sharing somany great insights. Were you there at arguably the worst time of his life in96 or had you left by then?. If you were there are there any insights you cangive. Of course will understand if not.

A:I love techy questions but Im not really qualified to answer these kind of questions.Im just a humble engineer.

Q: Is it true that Prince'sonly involvement on the George Clinton albums was 'Big Pump' and the 'Tweakin'12"? Or, did he P on more of those tracks than is commonly known/believed?

A:nope that was it. he was really hands off. Miles lead bass player Foleyproduced it. I was bummed that it turned out be a programmed album with reallycheesy sounds i might add. I was hopin the mothership would have landed and thep funk mob with rodney skeet and dennis chambers would have jumped out. I waswishin that Foley and Prince would have done something. Foley was a great bassplayer but i was a bit disappointed with his programming. didnt even play anyreal bass on the record. Boy someone ask me more about George C. Ive got some greatstories bout those sessions. I cant even get in trouble for them.

Q: What are Prince'sgeneral amp settings on his Mesa Boogies? We've seen some very informativearticles on his pedals but nothing on his amp settings.

A:Find Zeke and ask him.

Q: can you expand on whathappened with TTD? Also, I heard that TTD recorded something with Prince, canyou shed any light on that? I'm a big TTD fan (now known as Sananda) andwhatever happened won't change my opinion because I think he's a great artistbut I am curious to hear what happened...

A:TTD? Oh. think i answered that. He should have checked his big head at thefront door.

Q: Is the Magoo that yourefer to, James? Wasn't Poor Goo written about him?

A:you know whats funny, I never knew his real name! same with sparky. spent tonsof time with these cats and never thought to ask em their real name. Yea Ithink it was written about him. He was a character and the nicest guy you wouldever meet.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:59 am

Q: What was tour planninglike? Were you around or involved in the concept planning and the rehearsals? Ibet those would have been a lot of fun.

A:The only tour thing I had to deal with was really funny. He had this concept toput the pa board on the side of the stage. He didnt want to use wedges just abig stereo set of speakers. He thought that the audience should hear what theywere all hearing. He didnt really understand room acoustics and why the boardshould be in front. The ultimate goal was going to be a completely free frontof house, no lighting trusses or sound board. The sound guy he had washeavyweight, toured with everybody. He is freaking out because he has to mixfrom the side of the stage. So I get a call from someone. Prince wants you tomix the live sound at wembly. Im talkin about wembly stadium like 110,000 peepsin the audience for a sold out show. Ive never said no before so I say Help! no!that is suicide. I dont know &%*$ about live sound. We finally struck a dealwhere I would sit in the front of house with a radio and if someting wasnt loudenough id say turn up this or that. So the Purple rain solo comes and you canthear it and I say turn up the solo and I hear the other guy on the other endsay turn up the solo and half way thru the solo it gets turned up. We got thruthe gig, it was the first time the guy had to mix from the side. I was thenstuck on the road for another 3 weeks. Id play with my yo yo while everyone setup, no one would let me help cause of insurance and unions. then I would recordthe show with a pair of audience mics and a board feed to dat and give it toPrince at the end of the night. after 3 weeks of traveling in a stinky bus Iwas like get me the hell outta here. I called Dwane, Princes assistant and saidthat im a studio engineer and if we werent going in the studio I wanted to gethome. We did end up going in the studio in Amsterdam for a few days and Ifinally got to go home.

the only other live sound stuff I got to do was when the board was inside theEndorphine machine for a few New york gigs. I was supposed to keep an eye onthe mix and had carte blanche to change it up but the endorphine machine wasalso His and Maytes dressing room and I was scared shitless that they wouldcome storming in while I was mixing or be in the middle of changing when I camein to make a change. I stayed out of there unless it was totally necessary. Iwas doing a mix move toward the end of the show and the front curtain fliesopen and I jump, It was Prince. I was scared he was gonna be pissed I was therebut instead he actually gave me a big hug and said "were killing them outthere, were killing them!" and he was right. To say they were on pointwould be an understatement.

Q: That was funny as hell[story about NBA party and guitarist who tried to play onstage with Prince]! Itwas Feb. 14, 1994. They taped the Beautiful Experience that night. It was forthe big release of the Most Beautiful Girl In the World. One of the best Princeshows I have ever seen. All the NBA players were in town for the NBA All Stargame, lots of celebs too.

A:did you get a copy of that magazine they were giving out that night? wow! justfound my copy, it was called 10,000. it was like 80 glossy 11x17 pages. Myfriend jeff put that together in 2 weeks from conception to delivery. Weretalkin about writing the stories, doing the pictures laying the whole thingout. Show me anyone that can do that nowdays.

Q: Were you involved at allin the Girl 6 Soundtrack?

A:nope i wasnt.

Q: My all-time favouritealbum is The Gold Experience. I could talk about it for days.

A:I loved working on that record. I pretty much worked on that whole record. Itsall kinda the same technique as we have already talked about. The NPG operatorwas our buddy Rain. (the karaoke conspirator) I always loved the irony of Ihate you because I love you. The guy toking on a joint on "Now" wasnone other than chronic freeze! Who mastered that record? some hood stole mycopy of it here in portland. I thought it was a solid record thru and thru. Itwas the first record we used the Akai dd1000 for so it might have been thefirst record we actually delivered to mastering digitally. dont quote me onthat. Memories a bit fuzzy.

Q: Chronic, as a lover offunk and bass, you GOTTAlisten to "The Exodus Has Begun"!

A:yea, i remember that track. I gotta get some of these rekkerds back. is there alegit place you can buy things like the gold exp and chaos?

Q: Did you do anythingduring the Graffiti Bridge period? Did you prefer the re-recorded versions ofthe tracks to the earlier unreleased versions?

A:Me, Tom Garneau and Mike Koppleman did the record. check the credits if youneed more detail. Me and Mike Koppleman together actually got to score 3 scenesin the movie as well which we were never credited for but its all good, it wasexperience. I also worked on the Thieves in the Temple 12" which went gold(over 500,000 copies)

cant remember any unreleased versions, that was a long long time ago.
    COMMENT:Hey I just wanted to say that as i go on it seems there are a lot of questionsi just cant or dont feel comfortable answering or i just dont think it mattersin the grand scheme of things. So Im not going to reply to everyones post likeI have been trying to. If i skip your question please dont be offended, I justdont have an answer for you. I really want to discuss the things Im good attalking about. yknow techy stuff.

Q: Has any of the Batmanscore been released elsewhere?, Very curious a to what a Prince score wouldsound like? what was the feel of it?

A:Yes the score was the batman album and then some... gotta keep that one secret.Tim Burton you made a huge mistake.

Q: Are there othercollaborations between Prince and Geaorge Clinton that didn't make the Heyman... album ?

A:Good questions cant remember, Prince really had a minimal contribution togeorges record.

Q: Can you recall thetitles of any unreleased tracks from 93-95 period. Do you recall a song calledStrength?
    maxim9691

A:Dont recall it but great title. love to hear that one!

Q: Yeah I think theoriginal story had Prince cut off the music and just stare at Terence until heleft in musical shame. Ironically his recent recorded tracks are led by his ownguitar playing, often acoustic.

A:it wasnt a cut off it was one of those "on the one thangs" he justkept on a chuggin... we was all lookin at him. kinda lame crowd that night.Prince kept askin everybody if they wanted to dance or what. I was dancin onone of the PA speakers in the back, i mean cmon, how can you not dance? Lot ofposing going on that night.

Q: The original piece:

THE INFAMOUS PRINCE / TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY PERFORMANCE
    For years now a story has floated about of a rare and extremely exclusiveperformance that took place at Prince's Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen,Minnesota just outside of Minneapolis. I asked a friend online that had beenlingering about in Prince's inner sanctum while employed at his N.P.G. shop(boutique) in MPLS around this time...and he agreed to give me his account ofwhat occurred that night. Finally, I present to you the first-hand account ofthe events during the now infamous early morning jam: Um lemme see here...I gotinto the party after the Diamonds & Pearls show at Glam Slam...I saw Carmen[Electra] for the first time there and LOVED her...Until she started doingthose WAY over dramatic "hip hop" stupid dances she does.. Anyway.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]I was hangin' out and Prince isthere and I'm expecting that, so I'm cool...But then...I turn and WHAM! TTD isstanding RIGHT THERE!!!! Not saying a word to anyone if I remembercorrectly...He stays there for the rest of the time and then a bit later Princestarts playing in Studio C...I go in, and I see TTD after a little while comeup and snag a guitar...Strums some sour notes, and P looks at him like"GET OUT!!!!" TTD looks at P and just like a child kinda puts hishead down and walks through a door behind them...The band played on the floorin Studio C which is actually like a VERY, VERY small rehearsal studio with mirrorsall around the walls...I believe the door leads to the hall outside in StudioB...

That was the last I saw of TTD until he played First Avenue [night club] in1995 (I think it was)...P had a special Love 4 One Another show after the gigand TTD didn't show up 'till the show ended...We all had to wait and standstill while TTD walked up the stairs with his band...Never said 'hi' oranything to the people who were giving him props for the show that night...

A:priceless, thanks for reposting that. totally funny.

Q: are you British as someof the phrases you use makes me think that you are. If so, what city are youoriginally from and how did your journey lead you to Paisley Park and beyond?

A:Not British but one of my best friends is, not the scottish one. im just a goodhearted midwestern boy. My friends tell me Im just a gay black man born into ahetro white Jew body.

Q: Wembley Stadium was afantastic gig, maybe the largest audience he ever played to in the UK, and theaftershow at The Forum was just..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A:Yea the afterparty, I did sound there that night, thats right. Thanks forreminding me. We actually were able to have the soundboard in the house. goodsounding show!!

Q: What do you rememberabout working with --

- Ricky Peterson (i.e. on Love Sign or Most Beautiful Girl)
    - Nona Gaye
    - Terry Lewis (or Jimmy Jam) - supposedly convinced Prince to get into ProTools after Prince had been resisting for so long
    - Eric Leeds
    - The girl from the Love 4 One Another Special (the fine one stalking Prince)
    - Stokely or Mint Condition
    - The Time or their unreleased CD "Corporate World" that Prince wasworking on
    - Elisa Fiorillo
    - The Song "Make Yo Mama Happy"

A:Ill keep these to one liners ok?

ricky-played his ass off and could tune his farts to any note you sung. Samewith his brother St Paul. The 2 funniest guys in Minneapolis

Nona Gaye-beautiful voice and a diva in a good way. Humble. Was "give itup' ever released? you know her dad was Marvin right? I actually got to mixthat track.

jimmy and terry- Wish!!

Eric-worked with him alot! we would talk about p-funk for hours. love him todeath. he'll turn up in a story about Georges record if someone will ask aboutit...

thats about all i can remember.

Q: Please tell us moredetails about the vault.

A:all im gonna say about the vault is that its huge and filled and when you walkup and down the aisles you see 2 boxes together that are 14" in diameterand you know that it is a completed record, and theres one, and theres one, andtheres one, and theres one....

they got to do something about archiving all that. If you are listening pleasearchive your tapes. God I hope they have already started.

Q: Also, how proficient abass player do you feel Prince is?

A:one of the baddest ass bass player on the planet, he didnt play bass enough forme during my time there, not nearly enough. friggin roland d-50. horny pony,simple and funky

Q: And please do tell usmore about George Clinton.
    maxim9691

A:I see im getting some requests for some George C stories thank god cause thatwas some funny &%*$ I got to get to bed but I cant resist an herb smokingstory...

George story #1 Paisley didnt give george any per diem because they all figuredhe would spend it on drugs. They told me not to tell anybody he was coming totown but cmon, its GC! he knows people. So every day was a party and someonewas always holdin. At one point he called Paisley Park the Betty Ford Clinic.So at this point he just scored some herbs and Me him and clip are firing oneup. I see him go to exhale and before I could stop him he blows the hugest hitof herb smoke right into the smoke detector over the rack of gear. The alarmgoes off instantly. There are Halon sensors in the room that will actually suckout all the air in seconds because you cant have water near all that equipment.Lucky you need to hit 2 sensors for that to happen. The bad news, I tell him,is that the Chanhassen fire and police department are going to be showing up in2 minutes and the whole room is a huge herb cloud. So what do we do? RUN FORIT! I sent him to the lounge near the soundstage and I go to the front of thebuilding and act stupid. Next thing here come the firetrucks with firemen infull gear. I somehow convince them that it was a false alarm and they dont goin the studio. I think I make something up like we were right in the middle oftracking and we put out a candle near the sensor. One of my titles there shouldhave been professional ass coverer.

Q: Also, any other funnyanecdotes would be great. Practical jokes, that kinda thing.

A:Did you say practical jokes? it was just between us engineers but we pulled afew doosies, ill tell you a couple tomorrow. God I wish Ray was reading this.
    Morning, just brought my daughter to school and Im having a bit ofcoffee in this amazing coffee shop built into this old church with lightflooding in from the huge array of stained glass window. what a greatenviroment to tell you about a few of our practical jokes.

A lot of time was spent waiting for people to show up or as you all know Princedid his own vocal tracking so that was our only chance to catch up on sleep orhang out. A lot of times it turned into serious prank doing. It all started outinnocent enough. I think I initiated it with Matt Larsen, the tour crew chief.We were out taking a drive to get a hamburger and had to go right back to thestudio. after we ate I offered Matt a piece of gum. Of course I had snuck apiece of trick gum into my package and it stained his mouth the darkest blueyou could imagine. Hes talkin and talkin and Me and the operator held outlaughter in every time he opened his mouth cause it was bad! We got back and ofcourse we had to go right into session. Right before we went into the studio Iwas like whats wrong with your teeth? There was nothing he could do about itand It ws hilarious watching him try to set up stuff for prince and not openhis mouth to say anything.

He got my ass back though. I was in studio B by myself. I must have beenediting or comping a bunch of songe together cause there was a mess of tape onthe floor . I was burning a ref of it so I started the tape machine andcassette, turned down the volume cause I wanted to nod off for a minute, We hadbeen there a long time. I put my feet up on the desk and before I knew it I hadpassed out hard. All I know is suddenly i hear Matts voice screaming "WAKEUP THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE TAPE!!!!!" I jerk out of my sleep hardand look over at the tape machine. All I see is tape everywhere, dangling offthe machine. I must have jumped 3 feet out of my chair cause that was a masterreel which looked like it was spilling all over the floor. I run over to themachine to hit the stop button and then I realize what had happened. Matt haddraped all the discarded edit pieces all over the machine to make it look likeit was spilling off. Oh that was a good one.

I needed to plan my revenge carefully. We both sized each other up and wouldflinch anytime one of us got near the other. We were totally bro but we bothknew that someone was going to up the ante. I began to formulate my plan ofattack and it evolved into our truce cause he couldnt top it.

At Paisley we had a paging system that ran thru the building. So when someonewanted you to come to the studio you would get a page "dave studio A"or "dave call the operator" So im in the shop and there is this pieceof gear sitting there thats called a harmonizer. you can put your voice thru itand change the pitch of it to sound like an angel or the devil. It also had adelay and sampler built in. I was bored and decided i was going to find outwhere the brains for the paging system was and strap this harmonizer across itso that when anybody used the pager it would sound like they inhaled a bunch ofhelium. After some searching I found the closet all the guts were in and Istrapped that thing right across. The next day when the office folks came in at9am all you heard was this hilarious high pitched voice paging you and thenechos of laughter. David Z was loving it, he loved things like this. He was atroublemaker as well, we all got in trouble for shooting off bottle rockets onthe soundstage.

Matt hears it and decides to one up it. He goes up there and sets the delay tomaximum. He pages me, runs over and starts a conversation with me and thensuddenly I hear his voice booming over the system. He shouldnt have done thatbecause that sparked my most evil plot ever and we had to call a truce after it.Now this windup would take commitment and I was prepared to do whatever ittook. I grabbed a chair and brought it up to the closet and sat and waited. andwaited. and waited. Finally it came "Matt Studio A" It was Princecalling Matt in. I couldnt believe my luck. The delay has a hold button thatyou can hit and it locks whatever sound just came into it into its memory. Ihad it!! now I just had to find the right time to implement it. I told Ray Ihad it and him and I giggled like schoolgirls. I waited hours to set it off. Itold ray to go into the Atrium and watch Matt run into the studio. I told theoperator about it as well. They both played stupid and sat there waiting hiddenbehind a magazine. I went up to the closet and fired that sample off. "Mattstudio A" I immediately started cracking up and ran to the 2nd floorrailing to watch. Here comes matt from the basement and walks right in to thestudio. Me and Ray and Greg look at each other and we are all holding ourstomachs. 30 seconds later He comes out scratching his head. "hey did youguys hear me get paged?" Were like, no i dont think He called you. Hmmm hesays and goes back downstairs. I figured we could get him one more time but Ihad to be in the studio to see it so when we got called back in I arranged forRay to pretend to go to the bathroom and go hit it again. Ray gets up andleaves and i know the show is about to begin. 5 minutes later here comes Mattrushing in thru the door and stands there looking at Prince while he is doingsome keyboard. Just stands there staring. Finally Prince looks up and is like"what?" Matt asks if he just called him and he shakes his head indisbelief. Matt looks over at me and Im shaking trying to hold my laughter inlike im in convulsions. He knew right then he was had. He left and when I cameout of the studio we both agreed that we had to stop or if we were going towind anybody up we had to do it as a team
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Q: Is that the version withlots of sax and then Nona Gaye starts singing about two minutes before the end?If so, I got a few q's about it:
    What year was that made?
    Who was playing sax? And what are all the vocal excerpts from?

A:I can barely remember it but i do know it was awonderful remake of her dads tune, not sure what you mean by vocal excerpts causeit was just her singing her butt off.

Q: But did you witness avulnerable side to his character? Did you ever see Prince struggling under thepressure? He's a human being like the rest of us but get the feeling he wouldrather put on a front than let people in? Even Alan Leeds has said he rarelysaw Prince show emotion.

Also... and this is a silly question, but i gotta ask... Prince has worn somecrazy clothes and around 1993 (Act II Tour) he had, what i consider to be, theweirdest 'look' ever with mad hair and a weird moustache that squiggled rightacross his face. Did you ever walk in the studio and have to hold back a'reaction' to what he was wearing? Was the ever a moment your thought..."Dude?!!! What the hell are you playing at?"

A:amazing questions, I never saw him pissed ever,evenwhen he booted me he did it with a smile on his face. and I saw him happyoften. I mean we were just in the studio together, its not like we were hangingor anything. he was trying to make music. He was focused.

there were a few outfits I didnt get but they were always coordinated andsharp. Who am I to speak of fashion, i had the scraggliest hair and i alwayswore jeans that were too long. There was only one time that I had to say tomyself hell no, this isnt happening. He left for a half hour and when he cameback he was wearing the same sharp red pants and boots he had been wearingbefore, but he had this christmas sweater on, it was a log cabin, and snow anda reindeer. on any Minnesotan I would have thought it typical but On Prince itjust didnt look right. You just got used to the amazing clothes he wore daily,it looked out of place but Im glad he felt like he could be comfortable aroundus.

Q: What was/is GeorgeClinton's recording process? Does he have concepts or lyrics prepared for songsor ad-lib large parts of them?

It also seems that songs or parts oftracks, recorded at Paisley for 'Hey Man ...' ended up on later albums such as'Hard as Steel', 'Booty' and 'US Customs Coast Guard Dope Dog'(the 'whatcha-gonna-doGeorge' chant). Do you recall these?

A:you all got great questions. first off I remember all those tunes youmentioned. There were some vocals on dope dog that this cat Louie did. He wasthis balding white cat who looked like your next door neighbor. funkiest nextdoor neighbor. There were a lot of mixes of dope dog. We were watching a lot ofnews from the war in Iraq so that inspired several things.

Georges process was a bit twisted but when I offered him a better way of doingit he says Dave you know what funk is? and Im like "What George" andhe says "when Im wiping my ass and I put my finger thru the toiletpaper,smell my finger" and he holds it up in the air. Case in point. Ifyou had weed you had a track on georges record. There was this guy who workedfor the Electric company who would show up with weed and he kept telling georgehe had a track. George is like lets hear it and I put his cassette in and itsonly a chessy 4 bar loop that repeats over and over. George is like Dump it tothe 2". so I dump it. then he says lock a drum machine up to it. Any ofyou engineers out there know how hard it is to lock anything to a cassette?there was no pro tools. You couldnt set a close tempo on the drum machine causecassettes warble all over, the pitch isnt steady. Since it was only the same 4bar loop over and over I asked george if I could just sample the loop, lock thesampler up to the drum machine which was easy thru midi and we would be rarinto go. "you know what funk is Dave" again. so I grab my aphex studioclock which can make a tempo map from a click track or a steady pulse, I dosome tricky gating to the cassette loop to feed the studio clock. I do sometricky punches on the multitrack and finally we got a lock. We overdub other instruments,sample 4 bars of them and lock them all up to this godawful cassette. I thinkthat the track was rhythm and rhymes. I wish we would have let me just show himhow we could have done it. it would have saved us tons of time, given us moreoptions, been tighter. It had nothing to do with funk it had to do withignorance. I still love that rap though. That was some bizarre flow he had gointhere. He really didnt have anything set in stone vocally.

Someone earlier wondered who from the P funk mob was there. George, p-nut (whowore the same pair of pants for the 2.5 months he was there), Clip and GaryShider. Catfish collins, bootsys brother was there for a day and Fred Wesleyand Maceo blow yo horn! was there for the horny horn session. Mallia lived in Mplsso she was there almost daily. The 2 guys I idolized, Bootsy and Bernie werentthere at all. boo hoo. I got a great story about Gary but I got to wait till myfingers cool off.

Q: George is reallysomething ! I saw him live with all the guys once in the Zenith, Paris, in the90's, and Prince arrived with Mayte on the side of the stage. They provided hima guitar and he and Mayte were ready to go on stage, they waited, and waitedand...waited, then they were gone. In a newspaper, a few days later, Georgesaid that the guys in the band were making fun of him because he FORGOT Prince!!!! Man ! He forgot Prince !!! Now isn't that something ! I love him !!

A:Prince was probably bummed cause who really gets to jam with Georges band? Thatwould have ben epic!!! i cant even imagine how great that would have been.

Q: R.E.M? Did you engineerLosing My Religion?

A:I assisted on REM out of Time. Kate from the B52s wore a purple outfit andthought that everytime she went to the bathroom she was going to run intoPrince. REM guys didnt like me at all cause they were bummed I didnt worshipthem. Pete actually said "our last assistant thought we were gods." Iwas like "im sorry but my gods are funky" it was strictly biz afterthat. Michael was a cool dude but he wouldnt let us have any razor blades inthe studio. How am I supposed to cut tape? Whats he gonna do? slice his wriststhere at Paisley? You gonna sing a song like Shiny happy people and then gograb a razor blade? Cry baby. I went out drinking with Bill the drummer, he wasthe coolest of the bunch.

Q: As per thedance's threadwere you involved in the recording of My Name is Prince? Any thoughts on thisand/or the [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]album as a whole as I think itspossibly the one Prince-related album you were involved in haven't thus farmentioned.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 pm

A:that record was right when I jetted to san fran for a minute. I was pissed offat the management of Paisley. at one point we were a world class studioattracting clients from around the world. Harry Grossman was the best facilitymanager in the world, When he left they never really got it together. Theyfinally ended up hiring this guy from Minneapolis who was a studio owner andengineer. can you say conflict of interest? The studio went from a world classfacility to his own personal playground. He booked sessions for him with theartists he worked with. He also got commision on all of this. So he is gettingpaid for engineering, paid for managing and getting paid commision for selling.We all got punked. The world wide clients dwindled away and our engineeringstaff had nothing to do. It became a local studio. Worst part was there wasnobody to complain to. I decided to take an extended vacation to San Fran toclear my head. Paisley was headed downhill as a commercial facility.

I did work on the symbol record but the details are hazy. Im sure Mike and Tomdid 75% of it but I did get to record the horns for Sexy MF. Thats what got meback to Mpls. I got a call in SF saying Prince wants you to come back. I was ina new headspace, really becoming enlightened so I pulled the plug on SF andheaded back. Got into the studio and Prince asks if I recorded the horns onGeorges records and I said yes. He asked if I could make his horns sound likethat and I said "well, they arent the horny horns" oddly enough heshook his head in agreement but I said Ill set them up exactly like the GCsession. I actually think that the sexy MF horns are some of the best soundinghorns Ive ever recorded.

Q: Thanks for sharing yourmemories, I really hope your appearance here has the desired effect.

A:y know this whole thread has gotten to be a bit bigger that I hoped for. itsactually scaring me a bit. Im not owed anything. Im amazed at how by sharingthese positive memories , im really accomplishing what I set out to do. Imtotally forgiving myself and Prince and cracking myself up bigtime. Iverepressed these memories for so so long, its nice to remember.

Ive tried to stay on the positive with everything, you think ive done a goodjob? I would hope that prince could read this thread and have a laugh as well,he had no idea the tricks we were playing on each other while he was recording.

Q: during your time therewere you around when various other singers / musicians turned up to Jam with P.If so who can you name and are there any particular memories. I believe he hasjammed with Lenny, Jon Bon Jovi and many others.

A:Only good jam i could remember was in Paris and with Lenny. It was at GuillameTell studios. afterwards we played ping pong. Prince is a dirty ping pongplayer. gotta watch his serves.

Q: I have read that Princedoes alot of recording on his own. If he does his own vocals does he punchhimself in and out or does he always have someone there with him working one onone? If he ever does his own vocals are the tracks usable as is or do they needto be cleaned up? (Button clicks from the remote, breathing etc) Does he choosehis own reverb patches etc?

A:Dude cuts his own vocals, it only makes sense. Mic behind the board, mic bussedto several tracks. In my entire time we only did a regular vocal session withhim in the studio and me punching once. We would leave the studio hearing aninstrumental and it was like opening a christmas present when we came back in.you never knew what you were going ot hear.

when I left we were using a studer 48 track digital machine and hadnt had itfor very long. Im not sure after that.

Q:Quick Q about Hide the Bone, it always sounded like it was slowed down a touchespecially at the start. Is it my ears or was it deliberate? as much as I lovethe track i laways felt it needed to be speeded up a touch.

A:its all looped based so I wouldnt call it slow as much as loping. I rememberthat the keyboard programmer had a hell of a time getting the loops to lock. Ialways thought it was a bit slow as well. Wish it had real bass as well, notthat fake acoustic bass. that brings about a good question for any of you. Didprince ever use acoustic bass on anything? not fake keyboard acoustic bass butreal acoustic bass?

Q:You've covered off on this in other answers, but wanted to hone in on it somemore. Given how Prince is as a boss (mercurial to say the least), and howothers have been treated by him over the years, I am always fascinated by howthese same people still have immense respect for him and hold him in highregard. I noticed you defending Prince with those midget comments (bravo 2 u onthat, so unnecessary), so I see that even though you were deeply hurt by him,you still look out for him.

Fans experience a lot of the same emotions with him I suspect but obviously ona different level. What are you thoughts on why after all you went through, youstill feel this affection and respect for him?

A:the only way I can describe it is like that movie Immortal Beloved. I justremember Beethovens assistant and all the crazy &%*$ he had to endure, Its notabout me or Prince or any of it all. Ultimately its about the music and themessage that he has given all of us and how he touched us all. Its beyond allof us and will live on past all of us. Honestly, despite everything thathappened Id still defend him to the day I die.

Q:if you work for him are you nearly chained to being around him all the time, orcan you live a life outside of prince whilst being on the payroll?
    A:I think ive touched on why I did it already, but how? It was hardest on lovedones. We were gone for so long at times. We could never take vacations unlessPrince was on tour. I lived in Uptown and was 35 minutes from the studio. WhenI got beeped I was there in an hour. I only got beeped once having sex. Iwindsurfed on lake calhoun and kayaked there as well.My riskiest sport wasmountain biking where I could be an hour or more away from my car but i waswilling to take the chance. I lived 5 minutes from the lake so when I gotbeeped Id derig and split. I could pull all my gear on my bicycle so i was ecofriendly. Id get home jump on my honda Interceptor and gun it for the studio.Like I said before we all took turns doing the Prince session we would do itfor 1-2 years then trade off and do other sessions.

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:02 pm

heyyou called it on hearing the same song over and over. It wasnt so bad atPaisley where most of the stuff was good. you should hear some of the stuff Ihave to listen to over and over now.

Q:do you think Prince would have benefited from greater "qualitycontrol" on what he released during your period with him? It seems to me alot of albums would have flowed better with less tracks around then.

A:His records were his storybooks, I cant imagine them any other way than howthey are.

Q:On George's album, did Eric record with the Horny Horns, or separate from them?

A:right next to them. It was a dream of his to jam with them. He got to play ashow with them soon after as well. Eric and I were giddy like little schoolboyswhen George was in town. oh boy almost time to lay one last big GC story ony'all. I cant keep this up for much longer. I got a life I need to get back to.

Q:I guess this is the book that was supposed to be released : Prince: In TheStudio Book

A:yea thats the one. I resisted for so long but he convinced me by saying to methat there was this area in time that was just lost and nobody knew anythingabout it and I was the only one that could help. Eery one of my peers had doneinterviews. So many people have called me throughout the years and I have blownthem all off. This guy seemed different cause he wasnt concerned about all thestupid drama, he was into the recording process and he knew his &%*$ so Iagreed to talk with him for an hour. We talked about mics and gear andrecording spaces and geeky gear stuff. Im pissed at him cause he promised tosend me a copy and hasnt fulfilled his part of the deal. I didnt want money. Ijust want to read it like everybody else. so everybody email him and tell himhes lame.

like I said earlier this is it. Im done talkin to anybody after this. Its up toyou to keep the history alive.

Q:Michael had also stated no food was ever provided. This is hard to imagine thatthey wouldn't order food in but a cook on site. Why didn't the engineers everybring this up to the studio manager? Did he pay well to put up witheverything...no figures required just above, below or average would do.Everything I read seems to indicate P.P. was a disorganized mess from abusiness point of view. Were you guys too sheltered to see that?

A:the food, good question. dont know why we never said anything. call it thepaisley park diet. We were a slim trim good lookin crew. LOL

My mom told me not to talk about money. not underpaid, not overpaid.

Paisley park the studio was disorganized right? not the record company. I dontknow about the record company but the studio was never the same after HarryGrossman left and the studio manager/engineer in the mid 90s whom I talkedabout earlier ran that boat right into the ground and managed to punk his crewas well. We should have staged a mutiny. The thought of that whole conflict ofinterest thing just gets me hot (lets see if i can find something here)

Q:I am going to say this is false but I remember hearing a rumor that a room inP.P. could have it's roof raised/lowered to adjust acoustics.

A:there's not a roof that can be raised/lowered in PP. The original design forstudio A had a roof in the "rock" room (the isolation room withgranite floor and walls) which could be raised and lowered. I think it was like20 feet!! they ran out of dough to do it. I never figured out why they settledon putting the fixed roof at its lowest point instead of higher. theres like 20feet of unused space above the room for where the roof was supposed to be ableto be raised to.

Q: Why was he reluctant to use Pro-tools (minus the analog vs digital debate).

A:there was a story about protools in that a track he recorded direct to harddiscended up being corrupted and lost and prince wasn't happy his recording waslost for good, so they would record to tape and then do the final mixdown onprotools to the laptop that was connected to the desk (i think it was SSL instudio b)

it's only been recently that he has used protools more, mplsound was the firstalbum recorded using protools mainly

there is a small demo room in PP that had a protools setup on a macdesktop/powermac or whatever they were called, but it was mainly for larry towork on stuff

Q:Can you give us the SSL 100 channel recal?

A:studio A was the SSL room, studio b had the custom built DiMideo console. itwas a 36 input board but that brainiac Sal had us all build 12 more channels byhand to fill out the board. thats right. Me,Sal,Heidi Hanschu,Chuck Zwicky. Immore proud of that than alot of things.

Q:Your favorite tracks out of P.P. from a technical sound perspective.

A:My favorite recording was again the diamonds and pearls ruff mix sequence thatstarted with 'something this house' and was sans all the keyboard overdubs.there was something magical and spacial about that comp. its the only thing Ican remember thinking was the best sounding record in the world. wasnt evenmixed. Wish that had never been overdubbed to death cause id love to hear itagain raw, but again it was just a moment in time, then it was gone.

Q:did you work with the song We Can Funk? If you did I just gotta say this; THATSONG IS THE BOOOOOMB! Do you like it?

A:We can funk was a resurrected vault tune. Have you heard the original vocal? Ilove it but I like the prince vocal better. GC session story comin up soon.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:02 pm

COMMENT:the best example of his sense of humor is going to be when he reads thisthread. (chronic freeze crossing his fingers)

Q:if you could go back in time to your days at P.Park what one thing would youchange / do you wish you had done?.[besides hide that dayum letter lol!]

A:this one was a stumper. I have honestly just sat here thinking for a long timeand to be honest everything happened exactly as it should. Even getting served.It all happens for a reason. I guess the only thing I wish I would have done iskeep better track of the things and people I have worked with in my life. Mybuddy Tom Garneau use to have a scrapbook and he would fill it with billboardcharts on things he worked on and magazine clippings. I wish I would have donesomething similiar just to pass on to my youth. Ya know, pictures of all my oldfriends, Me on the purple rain bike, etc.

Q:P is clearly a musical genius, would you also class him as a genius in thestudio[from a techy point of view], he does come across as a Tech Head, wouldyou agree?.

A:He was savy but not techy.

Q:Did you have any input into the recording for The Undertaker? Did Prince videorecord himself in the studio frequently?

A:No video recorders ever. Cant remember the undertaker, remind me what that was.it certainly rings a bell.

Q:Do you recall when Dallas Austin came in to play with the band in the summer of1995? I recall a posting by someone in Prince's camp about how people shouldlearn to play their instruments if they are going to sit in with Prince and theband. I always figured that was about Dallas Austin or TTD.

A:sorry no recollection of any of them, would have liked to meet Dallas. I reallylike his productions.

Q:Did you play basketball with him too?

A:Hell no!!! I challenge any of you to take him on. he'll school all of you, inheels none the less.

Q:Would u say there was any one track that proved to be difficult to work onwhether the challenge was trying to please Prince or just a difficult song ingeneral that wasn't working well w/ what u were given?

A:every song was difficult for the engineers, difficult isnt the right word.challenging. We had to be quick, efficient, anticipate what he might want next,be able to stay awake and alert for long periods of time without food. Know allthe gear, know how to fix any technical problem that might surface. He wouldtest us too. Why isnt this channel working, so you would look,Hmmm everythinglooks right would you mind moving your hand off the fader sir. He would haveswitched the fader to a vca group so you couldnt hear it. Then covered up theswitch with his hand. We were too good to fall for that and I think that madehim proud that his crew was in tip top form. Just dont fall asleep in hissession dont matter how many hours you were there. Femi did that once. He wassnoring too. Prince looked over at me with a huge smile, we were listening onthe small speakers, he cranked up the volume of the monsters and hit theswitch. Femi jumped 3 feet out of his chair. He says "sorry I wokeyou" ha. that was funny &%*$.

Q:Also just for my ahem intrest...you must have seen some AMAZING looking womenaround the park

A:I never saw any women, id turn my head.

Q:what do you know about prince's wind up phone calls? like the one on the end ofthe cream maxi single? i hear he does that alot. i have another one from yearslater. how and why did that end up on the record?

A:I never recorded any wind up phone calls. are they real or do they soundstaged? Ill have to go listen.
    COMMENT: oh my god I cant believe it but Icaught up. Just to let everyone know Im only going to do this until Tuesdaynight which is 7 days since I started. I mean there is only so much one guy cansay and so many questions right? Ill probably leave a final post then Im gonnasplit. just want to give you all enough notice.

thanks Groovement for all the new atlanta house music you sent me. Im lookingforward to listening to it as soon as I get a spare moment. gotta hook up thebig speakers for that one.

Just to let yall know Im not really answering orgnote questions. Bring it outhere so we can all hear it. Im reading everyone of them though so if you wantto say something privately ill certainly read it.

Q:was there competition between youand the other engineers to work on Prince's stuff? You mentioned being jealouswhen Koppelman got to work on Gett Off...

A:I never said that. he hired some guy from LA to come and edit that, someoutside editor, not koppleman. (snare) so here we (snare) so hear we are.. youflew a guy out from LA to do that?

there was no competition whatsoever. we were a big family.

Q:Could you provide any additional information about this particular item? Orwere you not involved at all in "51 Hours" since it was recorded inAustralia? Any idea how many copies were pressed of it? Thank you.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:04 pm

A:wow never heard of that. elusive. Hey in a similiar idea I wonder if anyone hasany idea about this 12" i bought at a record store in New york when I wasstill in college. it was put out by r.m.t.z. records. its a white sleeve with abig red Z in the middle. The top left corner says side a Prince track 1 is sexydancer (mad mix) its kind of a dub nothing special track 2 is sexy dancer (longversion) and has this huge bass solo in the middle of it. Its way longer thanthe original and its amazing. the flip is some really bad disco. was their evera long version of sexy dancer released?
    COMMENT: heres a couple questions im askingmyself:

favorite mic at paisley: Akg c12 modified by the late Stephen Paul.

favorite piece of gear in the paisley outboard rack: Eventide sp2016

favorite tape machine: Studer a800 mkIII

favorite console in the world: Custom Built DiMideo console in Paisley studio B

favorite imitation of morris day on a record performed by Prince: Tricky

favorite Paisley Engineer: FEMI JIYA!!!!!

Q:How was it to record with George Clinton? I meen personal wise? Was he one ofyour influences when you were younger?

A:Yea George was a huge influence in my youth. the first record I got from himwas "the electric spanking of war babies" everything from the artworkto the psychedelic nature of the music suited my growing tastes at the time.Whe I heard he got signed to Paisley all I could do was hope that Id get to methim someday. I got to meet him during Graffiti Bridge, typical fan. Me and myFriend Jeff weaseled our way up to him and had him sign one of our albums, Ihad him sign my "clones of Dr funkenstein" album. later in the week Ihad a bit of spec time (free time in the studio to experiment) so I wasrecording some funky friends of mine "hot sauce, the sugar coated daddiesof funk" and they found George in the hall and bought him to the studioand yknow so after that when I found out he was coming out to make a record Ipetitioned hard to get that record. I was on Princes session at the time so Ihad to beg the studio manager to get me off so I could work with George. Like Isaid earlier I was a bit dismayed that we weren't going to be recording a bandfor any of Georges stuff. I had this vision of the whole P funk all starsshowing up and having a big ole stinky tracking session but it was just foleyand his roland gear.

oh theres one guy I forgot to mention that was there from my earlier post onwho showed up throughout the sessions. Ray Davis!!! He was the deeeep voice. Hesang with Zapp. he the guy who sings "dog" on atomic dog" Thatwas a thrill meeting him.

Q:So if you don't remember what tracks and configurations you worked on in thoseyears, who might? Did any of your colleagues keep notes?

A:again these configurations you talk of are just the evolution of a record.Every artist does it. lets try this song here and this song here and take alisten. no lets switch this and that. ok make me a tape and have a listen, no .lets try this. wow thats good. mabye you can explain to me why they are soimportant.

Q:Was Prince ever open for suggestions from crew or musicians? Were there eversituations where someone would say that a song wasn't very good or knew a wayto make it better? Was he surrounded by yes-men mostly?

A:sometimes he would ask us what we thought of something, like take a runningpoll of whoever was in the room. then do the opposite of whatever I thought!HA!

Q:you made me get Exodus out of the shelf where it was stored !!! Would you saythat basically, Exodus (which is excellent !)was an answer to George Clinton'sHey man.., an attempt to do a kind of Pfunk record ??? (you told us that hewanted to make his horns sound like the horny horns...)

A:You misunderstood me, By sound like the horny horns, he meant that he heardgeorges record and liked the way the horns were recorded and wondered if Icould use the same recording technique on his players. theres no way you canmake a player sound like any other player doesnt matter what mics you use.Thats what makes us all so special. You can have the same gtr amp as prince andsame gtr and same pick. you can play the same gtr part but you aint gonna soundlike Prince.

Q:Every room in Paisley Park is wired for sound. Does this include the bathrooms?- Or More seriously - does this mean it's all miced or that there are justjacks in everyroom?

A:y'all got some fantastic questions. Nope the bathrooms werent wired. Not likeTeddy Riley and Guy. they cut groove me in the bathroom. There was a centralpatch bay next to the shop that also housed 3 1/2" tape machines forediting. The soundstage, and studios a, b, and c all came up there. they werejust lines, you had to mic up everything yourself. Some rocker session I wason, we drove a van into the soundstage and put the marshal in the van. thenclose miced it and put mics at around 15 feet and 40 feet up in the air about 12feet. The sound was huuuuge but the producer was a wanker and made me take thatsound and feed it into 2 boss distortion pedals and a lexicon pcm 70 reverb seton a hall setting. I mean what the Help!? why take this huge gtr sound and feedit into foot pedals and then put a hall reverb on it? we had the best naturalreverb on it in the world. Why did we go to all the trouble of putting up allthose room mics if we were just gonna put fake ass reverb on it anyways. He wastrying to impress this girl that was hanging out and the band that was payinghim. He had nothing to do with Paisley. He was some outside wannabe.He was adick too. He did a few productions there and eventually got kicked out of thestudio cause he had an evil temper and ended up throwing a direct box at someassistants head.

Q:I have a couple George questions for ya... One of my favorite demo tracks is"The Flag Was Still There". Is that Carmen on the demo version?..later replaced by another female singer. Was that Prince playing on all thedemos or is that Foley on guitar? It sounds like Prince on alot of them...like"Oil Spill". As far as I remember the released album was alot moredifferent than the demos. Was "Dope Dog" part of the demos for HeyMan or was it a separate project?
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:04 pm

A:oh oh oh i love these questions.

it wasnt Carmen, it was this other white girl that was one of Georges friend,real sweetheart.

and the flag was actually a loop grabbed from a p-funk show i think it was livefrom the beverly theater. We looped that and then foley grabs his lead bass andproceeds to rip a 5 minute solo just for the hell of it. I recorded it directto dat just for the fun of it. it turned into Flag sans solo. Foley didnt playgtr per se. he played lead bass which was a bass strung with piccolo bassstrings. the gtr playing on the whole record kind of eludes me, like who playedon get satisfied, that might have been prince. I think prince only contributedone song to the record, big pump. he did sing the hook on satisfied so the tapewas over in his studio, probably played gtr on it but i just cant remember.

catfish played on some stuff but I think mabye just rhythm and rhymes.

oilspill was written as a direct reflection of us watching the war in Iraq onthe tv in the studio.

Yes very observant. there was talk of including dope dog on the record.

Q:what do you think of the production of some of their work, songs like"Shockadelia" "If I Was Your Girlfriend" and "CrystalBall" songs with great emphasis on the recording arts.

A:I thInk I talked about this the first day I was on there. I think sounds werechanging, electronics were changing, gear was changing, we were moving awayfrom analog gear and into a digital world, not as much with the tape machinesbut wirh everything else, keyboards, drum machines, samplers and even gtrprocesors. Im with you , I like earlier stuff better. I like the warm analogsynth tones and the fact that everything is just stripped back. The ninetiesseemed like an era where alot of pop music was just overproduced. I like stuffa bit rawer. Its too bad that newer stuff is less than enjoyable to you .Theres still a lot of really good stuff in that era.

Q:Two question did work u on any of the Sheena Eastons and the Joey Coco stuff?did she use to come to PP a lot?
    Was there any favourite bands members/proteges from Prince camp thats was cooland would just hang out and jam with u guys?

A:I never saw sheena, well I saw her walking down the hall once.

The two coolest cats I met out there which had nothing to do with Prince orpaisley park was George Clintons son, Im pretty sure his name was Tracy andRoger Troutmans son Roger. they were the funky youth at the time. again theydidnt have anything to do with Prince or paisley. they were just bad ass.

Levi, Morris were definitely the most friendly guys in Ps band to me.

COMMENT: Hey Ya all, just wanted to saythat Ill be back tonite to polish all the latest questions and tomorrow nightis the last night Ill be answering anything. Im recording an opera with theavant-garde composer Phillip Glass so I have to get back to the theater. Notfunky. Ive been having a blast and feel like Ive made some great new friends.You all are a great group of peeps. Ill def leave an email addy when Im done soyou all can say hi and I might check in every now and then, just to catch upbut the q&a will def be over.

COMMENT:so speaking of recording live shows I just got done watching the Prince live atthe Aladdin. Its the first time Ive really listened to any Prince jams in a longlong time and I actually enjoyed it. love the suit. Man that new drummerbassist and keys player are smoking. Im really curious why does it sound soshitty? anybody have a clue. Im guessing that they just used the front of houseboard mix for the dvd. I mean Why have Sheila E play if you cant even hear herand that &%*$ electronic clap thats louder than anything else in the mix.Theres a surprising absence of cymbals and room sound in the mix as well.anytime the audience claps I can barely hear them. Thats why I think it wasjust a board mix. Anybody know if it was actually multi tracked and mixed inpost? Shiela E is like a bottle of fine wine. She just looks better and betterto me and she can play! too bad you can barely hear her. OK enough ranting, onto some questions.

Q: Did you ever witnessPrince having a bad day in the studio - the kind of day were he was playing abit sloppy and just couldn't get a take to his satisfaction.

A:I cant remember him ever being off. Seemed to me like he knew what he had to doand did it. Hard for me to say.

Q: Any truth to the KimBassinger "kidnap" story - were she had to be "rescued"from Paisley Park by a member of her family?

A:pfft Im sure Kim left on her own accord. She was cool as Help!. Made all of uspopcorn. always asked us if we needed anything. Great sense of humor. Sweetestmost humble star ive ever of had the pleasure of meeting.

Q: When Prince finishesplaying something in the studio does he throw the guitar to an assistant orjust throw it off him generally (like he does on stage)?

A:seriously? Naw the tech would take it or one of us would take it or he wouldput it in the stand. no throwing.

Q: So what happened withBatman and Graffiti Bridge that they were missing the punch that Lovesexy had? Isthere something I'm missing on those albums? Why did Diamonds and Pearls andthe [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]album sound so much BETTER?Lastly... Did you have anything to do with the tracking on Dayz of Wild? Thereis this thing that song does right at the beginning I just LOVE and I can't,for the life of me, figure out what is going on. The song starts with somedrums, a sample saying "Hold...Hold onto your wig", then a littlebass with Prince saying "Break down! This is a bust!", when he starts"All you sorry muthafuckas up against the wall" there is this crazylayer that kinda sounds like whoooomp-whoomp, whooomp-whooomp-whooomp, thenmore layers come in and it's blended so you can't pick it out as easily. Thatlayer is SICK. What is that sound?
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:05 pm

A:wish I could answer these. not sure why you think theres a lack of punch onthose records. Ill have to go take a listen and see for myself. Ive got to heardayz of wild to hear if I can remember it. It certainly sounds way to familiar.was it supposed to go on the gold experience? Ive gotta hear it.

Q: Over the years, many ofP's musicians have come and gone (and some have even come back). Of all ofthese, Morris Hayes has probably hung around the most both on a consistentcyand frequency basis. Based on your exposure to Hayes back during the beginningof his time with Prince, what has he provided for Prince musically (andpersonally) that he continues to play such an important role for Prince. (Iknow you can't speak for the past 13 years, but what traits does he have thatyou saw back in the day would explain Hayes' importance).

A:a question only Prince could answer. A good question. I thought Morris pickedstuff up really fast, was a good player and funny as heck. That new cat Renatoi think it is. Man that dude has it all, chops and really innovative sounds. Ithink he is a player like no other keyboardist he has ever had. Morris wasprimarily a b3 player.

Q: Ah Haa! I knew it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I was on those "HOT SAUCE" sessions.I still have the recordings too! I replaced the original guitarist because ofthe "incident" that happened (you know what that was). We had justcome from watching Prince and the Time shoot a scene from Graffiti Bridge andthen we went straight to Paisley to start our sessions. I remember Georgepassing me in the hall while I was making a phone call and him smiling andsaying "what's up"to me. What a treat to return to studio"B" and have George Clinton there grooving to what we were doing (UhI didn't partake in any of the extras though lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]). I was too busy copying samplesthat you allowed me to have. To this day, I still get asked where I got thehorns on one of my songs from? I always tell them your name and the storybehind how I got em. To all my fellow Orgers, this guy is the REAL DEAL and oneof the coolest people you want to meet. He made us feel at home at Paisley,gave us anything to work with we wanted including suggesting that I use Levisguitar rack and gave us the grand tour including me playing Prince's guitar,piano and sitting behind the pre-Mother-Ship SSL. This guy also has a Custom"kick-ass" Green Jazz bass which we used on the session. I've spokenhighly of you throughout the years because you have helped me more than youwill ever know.I'm happy I'm finally able to thank you for everything you did for us and for me in particular. Yourare the "DUDE"!!

A: Wow the first post toactually piss me off. you fucking tryin to get me in trouble? you sure youarent just talkin out your ass? are you trying to tell the world I gave yousome kind of special samples for your fucking mirage sampler? I had a ton ofsamples for the mirage, none of them were princes samples if thats what you areimplying. Prince didnt even have a mirage. Not sure what this post of yours issupposed to prove. I dont remember letting anyone play anybody elses gear.Thats not like me. Not sure what you mean about levis gtr rack since he was thebassist. Was it his personal gear? he did have a small demo studio there andlent me gear from time t time. If you played princes gtr it was without mypermission and the pianos were the studios, not princes. Yea I did a ton foryou guys and what did you guys do? oh yea. the gtr player stole &%*$ from theset of the movie they got hired to be part of and got caught red handed. gotkicked out of Paisley. Had your chance, blew it. embarrassed me. see ya.

Q: Were you one of theengineers who found the console covered in honey after the Scandalous Sex Suiterecording session with one Ms Basinger? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am guessing it was all a PR stunt andnot actually true.. Maybe you didn't hear about it but the story goes Princeand Ms Basinger were getting quite realistic and racy to obtain her 'orgasmic'(there I said it) sounding groans and moans for the record... I am guessing itsall made up. So much so that there was actually a promo kit that was sent outto radio to promote the single including a 'honey pot'. This sounds very madeup and like something a PR agent would do, and in fact could have even beensuggested by Prince himself [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Its certainly a funny story, the idea that they got busy on the sound console mixingdesk with some honey... I can't see Prince damaging his studio equipment evenfor a girl story like this one!

A:I was present the night they recorded the Scandalous Sex suite. LIke all vocalsessions we were excused. Thats all Im saying.

Q: Did you ever hear a songthat surprised you? I mean, did you ever hear anything that you felt wentbeyond the scope of what you thought Prince was capable of creating orsomething that you just didn't expect him to play?

Did you work on "CalhounSquare"? Too funky!

A:First time I heard Money dont matter 2nite with vocals I was just floored. notsure it surprised me more than I didnt expect it. I loved it so much and stilldo.

cant remember calhoun square, I lived 3 blocks from Calhoun square though

Q: I noticed the web siteyou list as your home page. What's your involvement in House music ? Justcurious.

Also, do you have any idea how the rapin Cindy C from the Black Album wound up on that song. Its from a song calledMusic is the Key by JM Silk, producer Steve Silk Hurley who later did some ofthe Gett Off 12" mixes. Im a fan of both Prince and Steve Hurley so I wasalways curios about the connection.

A:Im house as Help!. My involvement is that Im stuck on the west coast in a smalltown that loves west coast and minimal house. I love soulful vocal undergroundhouse so im like a fish out of water here. The house scene is small hereanyways. i used to dj on a pirate radio station till it got too popular and gotbusted. Ive tried gigging here but there is just not a big enough audience so Imade the move to the net and podcasting. Its been great, Ive got 4000subscribers and even more listeners that havent hit the subscribe button.Soulful house is alive and well worldwide. Im a big fan of our Silk especially"let your will be done" By ann nesby. Love gospel house.

not sure of the connection but Im glad Prince was listening to some house musicto get inspired by. Steve did some erotic city remixes as well. They werent sohot. I did some edits on them. Sorry Steve
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Q: "Dark" (fromthe Come album) has an incredibly rich-sounding hammond organ. Same with someother songs from the 1993-1996 era - "New Power Soul" (Exodus),"It's About That Walk", for instance. Are there any secrets you cangive away, as far as miking the Leslie, effects, mixing, etc? How do you getthat juicy organ sound?

A:the player has the most to do with it pulling slidebars and changing the speedof the leslie at the right time.Morris kicked ass at playing it. I loved micingup a real leslie. I always used 2 akg 460 on the rotating treble horn and 2 421on the bass unit. always thru the ssl preamps and always compressed with thessl compressors. thats just me.

Q: Regarding Prince'schoice of recording with a full band, vs. playing everything himself on"real" instruments, vs. using all (or mostly) synths and programming- do you feel there was always artistic reasons for those choices, or was itsometimes just a practical decision, or something else? I mean, he's done somereally inventive stuff on synths, but sometimes he'll program things (drums,bass parts, etc) that clearly sounds like they were meant to be played by liveinstruments - in those cases, why didn't he?

A:I got no idea why he would do one thing over another. He wouldn’t ever programanything but a drum machine and then he would play that as well, all the keybass playing is live.

Q: you make it sound thatprince wasn't the most personable person at work, and from everything i'veheard, maybe, i wish i had been so lucky. however, did anyone ever try tochallenge him on any decisions such as not being able to get any food duringlong sessions and if there was that sort of atmosphere, what kept you fromchallenging/questioning/discussing to him in a respectful way when he tried tolet you go??

A:I make it sound like he wasnt the most personable person at work? I thought Iwas doing just the opposite. hmmmm. not sure i understand the question. Hedidnt try to let me go. he did. He is the boss. when the boss says leave youleave. I asked what I had done wrong. not sure what else I could have said. Mannot sure where this thread is heading...

Q: Any tracks you recallPrince working with Lenny K on? Peach perhaps?

A:I never did any.

Q: Do you remember how manyof the Come/Exodus/Gold songs were longer than the released ones. I knowHallucination Rain was around 10 minutes and Billy Jack Bitch was edited downfor the album. I've always been fascinated with Princes 12"'s being thereal version of the song and the album or single version being the edit. So canyou remember if any of the songs we know and love were really much longer fromthe period you worked there.

A:billy jack bitch hahaha thanks for reminding me of that one. honestly I cantremember doing to many form edits to things. Im sure I must have cause I workedon the songs you mentioned but its all getting hazzzzzy.

Q: were u around when hisbaby died? wondering what in the world PP was like when that happened.. was ittalked about .. were people told not to talk about it? just curious....

A:sorry im a bit phased that anyone would bring up the death of his child. thatjust hits me hard like a ton of bricks and brings huge tears to my eyes. I cantimagine how hard it was on them and I am so so sorry for his loss. I have achild, a precious child and I hate to even think about it. That has to be thehardest thing for anyone in the world to go thru, you have no idea and you haveno right to be talking about it, im totally fucking serious. Shame on you. RIPlittle angel.

Q: Prince is obviously veryinfluenced by P-Funk and is capable of writing and recording in this style. Yon earth would he give George Clinton a song like "The Big Pump" ?This is a wanna b clubby C & C music Factory type song. Did George have anyreservations about recording it and do U have any thoughts on this NOT beingappropriate 4 George?

A:the big pump, what the f was that? pumpin it with a big pump? that was thesquareist rap ive ever heard. ill tell you what it wasnt, house!!! Again, i waswishing I was going to record a p funk record. get some players in there andmake a record. I have no clue how that tune ended up on there. "Mothernatures in vogue" should have been on it if they were looking for a clubbytrack. that was a stormer.

Q: What is your thought onmusic historians being able 2 hear the type of stuff that only U were privy 2?4 Xample, U mention "Rhythm and Rhymes" (Fight the power remix) -that will NEVER B HEARD and Something Funky (this House Comes). Do U thinkmusic 'historians" have any rights 2 this stuff? Did U or anyone ever urgePrince 2 compile this music or get it out there? Does he realize that there isa huge demand 4 this type of unreleased treasures?

A:I messed up, the remix i did was for 'dis beat disrupts' there wasnt one forrhythm and rhyme. sorry. It still slays me everytime I hear it. I dont thinkanyone has any rights when it comes to someone elses music, music historian ornot.

Q: What strikes me is theyears you worked at PP. 88-96. Those were changing years for P. 88 isassembling a new crew around him after the revolution and Emancipation is quitea new direction for Prince, personality as well as personnel wise. Did a lot of personnel change in '96 besides you?

A: not sure who else got letgo cause i was gone. My best friend jeff left on his own accord around then."the former artist for the artist formerly known as prince"

Q: Prince probably carriesthe vault in a big zip drive in his pocket now

A:thats funny. sign of our times eh? I kep wondering how am I gonna pass downmusic to my daughter, "here honey heres daddys music hard drive foryou" not quite as personal as making her weed thru my 3000 12"s

Q: Why didn't you engineerstake your own food in? Was that not allowed? Little packed lunchbox?
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:06 pm

A:quite observant, of course we could have packed lunches but after working for 2days straight you rarely had the energy to pack a lunch. I was a &%*$ foodieanyways. plus you had no idea how long you were going to be there. I think theonly guy that brought lunch was Brian Poer. Guess we shouldnt bitch about itcause we certainly could have done so.

Q: I remember hearingDiamonds and Pearls the album and thinking wow, what a sudden change of soundfrom his earlier work. A unique sound with all the samples but real drums.Layers and layers of samples... Quite innovative in that respect. But I alsoremember thinking Prince had started to 'stop leading and start following'... alittle bit at least. You know... he'd started to follow trends (rapping, dancebeats, house piano etc).

Was there a push to mimic current sounds and take them further? I believePrince took the advice of Frank Dileo (MJ's ex manager) on the whole Diamondsand Pearls project? To make it more commercial?

A:man, youre asking me things that you should be asking Prince. Im just anengineer.

Q: what can i do with thesesongs i have written on piano?friends love them.i have know knowledge of themusic business just been playing by ear 4 22yrs.and i want in.nothing out inrandb field but crappy rap.i got music with chorus verses and bridges.

A:get that shiznit copyrighted before you do anything else. Id love to hear whatyou and any other musicians on the org are creating, im curious. Ill drop youall my email tomorrow.

Q: I remember readingsomewhere that ?uestlove and D'Angelo would nickname Prince 'Yoda', in terms ofhis mastery of musicianship. Is he really that accomplished on all instruments?Did you ever see him playing the drums and if so, what did you think?

A:Yoda!! Ill never talk bad of Yodas playing. I loved when he crawled behind thedrums. can you imagine writing a song and playing every instrument. You got tostart with a drum part, do fills at all the right places. groove to yourself.Its gotta be hard. Made it look easy.

Q: There was a first, rawerversion of the Lovesexy album. Eric Leeds said in an interview that he likedthis original version more, Prince added to many layers afterwards. Have youheard that early mix and if so what is/was your opinion about it, was it reallyTHAT different ?

A:never heard it.

Q: I don't know if someonehas already asked this, but what ever happened to Rain?

A:haha she had to jump in the pool as well!! we had already left, he told us thenext day.

Q: Back in 1991 I went toPP, with the fan club controversy from the UK. This would of been when D&Pwas released as I went to the release party at the GlamSlam nite club. We allwent to PP but was told not to go in just the out side some people found thebins with some cd's and hand written track list (cant remember what the tracklist)and other cds and stuff, well the question is was it planted in the binsfor the fans to go down? as i could see people in PP laughing their asses off.ps i wasnt one of the people that went down the bins.

A:I was there that day! I remember when you guys came by. Brilliant idea, goingthru the bins!! no, i dont think it was s setup. Remember we were a commercialstudio so there could have been anything in there but we did throw out a lot ofstuff not thinking anyone would be going thru the bins. go figure.

Q: i have always thoughtthat prince , whatever his shortcomings as a person sometimes were , was atruly fabulous musician , up there with the best in the world .....justwondering what your thoughts were on his musicial talents....?.....thank youand all the best with the future

A:I answered that earlier. He touched my life and helped me thru many bad times.He helped me mature, let me know its ok being different, man there are just somany levels. Up there with the best in the world? Try the best in the world. Idlike to see anyone else play every instrument that well and sing and produceand perform. This guys lyrics speak to anyone thats listening. Him and Stevie,just sittin on top.

Q: Did Warner Bros blockthe release of "Love Sign" as a single? I know it's been rumoured...Iremember this track getting a lot of airplay on Radio 1 in the UK and I reckonit would have been a big commercial success at least in the UK following on theheels of his only No. 1 in this country ("The Most Beautiful Girl In TheWorld").

A:not sure what warners did but that song should have blown up. love the message.the world needed to hear it at that time.

Q: i'm pretty sure alladinwas a board mix, as was the one night alone live album (with bonus aftershowdisc) and the indigo nights disc. alladin was shot with camcorders, thus thecrap non anamorphic letterbox image. the actual show was about 3 hours long

A:it could have been so good. hook pro tools up to the board at least and do alittle post pro. wouldnt have been that hard. It was nice watching anyways. Itsnice to be able to enjoy his music again and be proud of what a great artist heis.

Q: After the disbanding ofthe Revolution, did u see Wendy&Lisa in studio at Paisley Park during theyears u worked for Prince and/or did u meet Wendy &lisa & talk withthem? Do u know something about The unreleased Revolution album "RoadhouseGarden" or other unreleased Revolution Album in the Vault? Did u talk withPrince about the Revolution years??

A:thats a big no, no and no.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:06 pm

COMMENT:Ya know, I watched the show again today [Live at the Aladdin DVD] and I reallyliked it. I mean really liked it. the sound def gets better as the show goes onand the second half my whole family and me were bouncin our heads and mydaughter and her friend were dancing up a storm. That is one mature solid band,perfectly balanced between jazz, funk, rock. I did notice that there was a protools engineer at the post production stage so Im still wondering about theweird mix the first half of the show. I just cant stop working can I? It was somuch fun seeing him again and seeing my old buddy Eric. Such great musicianshipgoing on, what a show. wish I was there.

Q: How much of musicexperience do you feel the engineering is responisble for? And what I mean bythat is, can you take a so so entertainer and make them sound way better thanthey really are?

Also, I have noticed thatmusic today seems to be taking a slight curve back to REAL music and leavingthe sample era behind. I have no problem with samples as long as they can beused in a true artistic sense and push into something new and beautiful, do youthink real music will ever return and that there will be the return of megastars again like Prince or Michael Jackson instead of all of these fifteenminute stars we have now?

A:nice questions, Id have to say that it is a big yes to your first questions butin the case of Prince there was no need to make anything sound better than whenhe laid it down. .He is a musicians musician. I take so so musicians and makethem sound better all the time with pitch corection(yuck) editing, comping,sound replacing. Its insane how easy it has gotten to do that. We used to do itback in the day but it was a lot harder then. again let me say that we neverhad to do this with Prince. He is one of the best recording artists in theworld.

everything works in cycles. Theres always going to be great artists. For me itsjust harder to find them cause radio is awful these days and MTV doesnt evenplay music. The internet has opened up tremendous opportunities, but with allthat info out there you have to weed thru really bad stuff in order to findsomething great. I rely on peeps like yourselves to turn each other and myselfon to whats new and hot.

Q: have u heard (or evenworked on) an early version of come that is pretty much just bass & drums?sounds embryonic like it's one of those test trax u allude 2 earlier in thethread (in order 2 check song progress) he sings 'mayb [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]could wrap my legs around ur neck 4while' on it. It's tight. ur kinda tune methinks. Any further info?

A:sorry never heard it, sounds tight though.

Q: What did you think ofEye Wanna Melt with U from the Symbol album as his foray into"house?" are u familiar with Scott Blackwell, arguably the bestgospel house DJ in the country? Lastly, since you aren't adverse to"gospel" like so many ppl are, what are your thoughts on P's growingintermingling of his faith in his music. Many on this org hate him for it. Isay its not NEW and he's been doing it all along (God, 4 The Tears in Ur Eyes,Lovesexy, etc.). To me no one has done such hybrid-ing better.

A:Oh yea Detroit in the house. Im very knowledgeable of techno although its notmy primary style, all my buddies up here are huge fans and go to demf yearly.Love scott Blackwell!! I have never felt any of Princes official house tracks.The best prince house to me is all the white labels peeps are making, lotscoming out recently. Timmy Regisford just did one called 'call my name' thatspure heat.

good question about faith in music. in my humble opinion like yourself I havealways thought he has been doing it all along and for me a lot of early stuffis like trying to find the balance between being a body and a mind. For me,Jehovahs witnesses are a bit extreme but its easy for me to say that cause imjust a non practicing Jew. Ive always loved gospel cause when you are singinggospel you are singing to the highest power that there is and it takes youover. You dont have to be Christian to enjoy it and feel the power of it. Itsnone of our business what religion he chooses except for him and cmon, faithand your art goes hand in hand. So go and be pissed of at him if you want. Itssilly. I like the new Prince cause I can actually now put on one of his recordsand not have to worry about my daughter hearing anything except a positivemessage and incredible musicianship. Anyone can enjoy it.

Q: Morris is more than justa B 3 Player,Chronic Freeze. It's what he is known for but this guy is a masterof ALL keys. He has the feel and timing for it all. Watch this video of TeddyRiley and Morris Hayes jam at NAMM. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] That's why Morris stays with Prince. He'slike his Bernie Worrell and Herbie all in one. Watch Teddy's reaction. One ofthe illest.

A:oh my god that was so much fun, thanks!

Q: Prince is famous forbackwards messages and "hidden" grooves in his songs (at least, in mylittle mind!).

Did you work on any backwards stuff? Is there a "Paul is dead" thatmaybe we haven't found yet?

One of the great things I like about Prince's music is that no matter how muchI listen to it, I almost always hear something new - guitar part under thegroove, or a keyboard riff buried down deep. Was this a conscious effort onyou/Prince's part? Did you guys ever think, "Man, this little guitar partis gonna blow them away the first time they put on headphones and reallylisten"?

Finally, any advice for ayoung musician getting ready to break into the business? By young, I mean my13-year-old daughter (who has been onstage with Prince twice already).
    A:you cant just go giving away backwards messages can you? Thats like going on atreasure hunt with the pirate who buried it. Now i never buried any treasurebut you never know who did.

I never knew what was going on in his mind when he mixed. He never usedautomation so every mix is gonna be different.

the music biz has changed so much. Im still trying to get a grip on what to do.Just have
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:07 pm

funand remember its not about where you end up , its about having fun trying toget there.

Q: When Prince would recorda song completely by himself, would he ever use a scratch track before layingdown the drums? Like a scratch guitar or vocal, just to know where he's at ondrums?

A:i never saw him use any scratch tracks. just dig in.

Q: Prince himself couldprobably best answer this question, but perhaps you have some insight. It's onething to write a few verses and chorus and bridges in a song, remember wherethey are at, and then start tracking. But a lot of Prince's songs are LONG.Long jams. He'll do a few verses, but then jam for 20 minutes. "Just AsLong As We're Together" comes to mind. How does he know where he is goingto go with a jam if he's recording all the parts himself? Do you know what Imean here?

A:Ive often wondered the same thing. thats probably why he didnt need any scratchtracks. Thank you!

Q: 1-what is your favPrince abbum from the years you worked for him 2-What artists do you like nowwho aren't mainstream that you think are "potential genuises" or atleast very talented and that you work with/would like to work with? Future plans?

A:well if you are interested in hearing what im feeling at the moment ive got apodcast i do every month, its a house music podcast so if you arent feelinghouse you might not want bother. I didnt really want to give out the addresscause I wanted the househeads to contact me directly which they did. but if youare curious its at jackin.podomatic.com Ive been concentrating on undergroundmusic for so long Ive kinda forgot whats going on upstairs so id love to hearfrom all of you whats poppin for you at the moment. hit me with an orgnote andturn me on to something new.

I talked about opening the studio for low income musicians and at risk youthwhich is coming along nicely. Hoping to be up by the new year. Im also openingup a nice mastering facility up here with a great engineer Nick Moon who workswith Liv Warfield. If any of you musicians need some mastering hit me up withan orgnote and ill be sure to give you the details.
    COMMENT:Ok y'all here we go...

So as we have talked about already I worked on the hey man smell my fingerrecord. We were in the middle of the session, most of the tracks had benrecorded and we were doing overdubs. A GC session is hella crazy cause somehoweveryone in town that remotely knows him winds up at the studio almost eeryday. it just turns into one big party after another. Im surprised we got anywork done cause George would be hanging out telling stories and listening tomusic. I wasnt gonna remind him we needed to work. I was enjoying the storiesand music as well. So the end of the day comes and George says that he is goingto fly back home to get his hair done and that Gary Schider will be in chargetomorrow. Gary is GCs right hand man, an amazing guitarist a great vocalist andthe guy who wears the diaper at every Pfunk show. Another guy who has benhanging out at the sessions is Eric Leeds who you all know but his brother AlanLeeds was VP of paisley park records.
    Eric was a good friend and him and I were probably more stoked than anybodythat George is in town.

So the session is called for the next night and around 8pm all the usualcharacters come filtering in, some p funk members and some hangers on. Itsgonna be a group vocal day and I was excited to see Gary work with a mob ofvocalists. The Steele singers who are all over the record and are a full ongospel singing group are due to come in later that night after their gig.Present from Pfunk are Mallia, P-nut (who still hadnt changed his pants sinceday 1), clip, ray davis, and Gary. So Gary shows up looking confident andsipping on a glass of rum in a snifter. Hes nodding his head and kind ofwalking a little funny. Now dont quote me on this but i think the song we wereworking on is Satisfied. Eric Leeds is there and he sits down in a chair nestto the outboard gear rack. He assembles all the people and gets them in thestudio. I give em all headphones and away we go.

now the details get a little blurry about now. Gary is in the control room. Hepushes the talkback and gives them their first line to sing. We record it. NoNo its not it, try it again. They try it again. No, no listen to me he says.They listen and he sings it. They sing it back without the track. No no,"do you people want to be here" he says. listen to me. he sings it.They sing it back. we try to record it. NO NO! he says. Im thinking this isgoing to be a long night. They were singing it just fine. Nobody could tellwhat Gary was looking for. Keep in mind that half of the people in there arenot singers in the least but thats what they wanted, and evidently they havedone many other session with far worse singers in their time. We rewind thetape and try again. NO, No, no get out of there get the hell out! he screams.the singers sling into the studio with their heads down to the floor. Gary goesout and lays a guide track. They go back out. They try it. No, no get back outhere now. They file thru the studio door. "what are yo doing coming inhere get back in the studio" everyone looks confused. they turn around intheir tracks and head back out the door.

Headphones back on. no one is saying a word. You could touch the tension with aknife. I look over at Eric and his arms are folded and he has this sour look onhis face. Lets try it again. The tape rolls, he stops it, "no,no P-nutsing it." P-nut sings the part and Gary says "you hear p-nut" heknows the part. practice it with P-nut" so they practice it and try toroll again. Gary isnt satisfied.

Now Eric gets up and leaves the room. No one can figure out whats wrong withGary. He is fuming and talking &%*$ and just looking crazy. The partyatmosphere has soured and it looks like a room of teenagers who just got caughtsneaking out of their house. We keep trying and we make very little headway. Weend up getting a few lines here and there but this routine of kicking everybodyout and yelling at them for leaving the vocal booth and commanding them to getback in goes on for over an hour. Eric finally comes back in. He says that hisbrother wants to talk to me on the phone. I get on the phone with Alan and hesays I need to find a way to shut down the session. He tells me to breaksomething, some piece of gear. I told him id try but im not sure what I coulddo. Honestly I was scared shitless. If something broke I thought Gary would goof on me. I devised a different plan. I had the receptionist try to get hold ofthe Steele singers and tell them to blow off the session. I kept plugging awayat the vocals until they were supposed to show up. I told Gary that the Steeleswere going to show up and we should get ready for
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:07 pm

them. Hebought it and excused the singers cursing under his breath.

Now im pooping cause the receptionist hadnt gotten hold of the Steeles. I didnot want them to have to go thru what everyone else had to go thru which wouldhave happened. I staked out the front door and kept an eye on where Gary was.Gary was in the lounge and I heard some voices approaching. "oh &%*$ therewere the steeles so I ran out the back door of studio B and caught them beforethey went into the lounge. I told them what had ben going on and told them toget the heck outta there pronto and call Gary and make up an excuse for whythey couldnt make it. They hightailed it outta there and 5 minutes later thephone rang. I could see that Gary was disappointed and commanded Clip to getthe other singers back to the studio. Clip refused and told Gary they weregoing back to the hotel. Words were exchanged and next thing I see is Garypuffing out his chest. Now Gary was not a big cat but wasnt small either but luckilyClip was bigger. Gary came at Clip and all I remember seeing was Clip grabGarys head in a headlock and his arms wee flailing all around. Clip was saying"are we gonna leave? are we gonna leave?" He finally let gary go whomade another attempt at taking Clip down and back into the headlock he went.Finally he agreed to leave and 5 minutes later they were gone. I sat thereshaking my head wondering what the hell just happened.

George came back the next day. When he got to the studio we told him what hadgone down that previous night. His first question was "Was GaryDrinking" I answered I had seen him drink a snifter of rum or somethinglike that. George said "thats all it takes, Gary has an alcohol imbalanceand cant drink and when he does he goes crazy." Its like an allergy toalcohol. At least there was a reason. I was still freaked out from the nightbefore but I knew that someday it would be the funniest studio story I haveever told. so there you go.

OKeverybody thats it for me. Not sure what to say now seeing ive been rambling atall of you for a week straight.This truly has been a healing experience for meas proof by me being able to watch the vegas show twice and really enjoymyself. I still hope Prince reads what I had to say but im totally ok with itif he doesnt. Hopefully Ive been able to paint a bit of a picture that we allare human. We all have feelings and we are all tied to one another with adeeper connection. One thing ive got to say is that Prince isnt just arecording artist, He is a human being and really deserves privacy at somelevel. He has given us all such a gift, i mean he has opened himself up andwrote about it for everyone to listen to. In some ways I feel that instead ofappreciating what it is he has given us, we want and demand more. We think weare entitled to it. I think despite what he would give to you , you will alwayswant more. I think that being a fan there should be a line. I really appreciatewhy everyone likes to collect the music, it shows how an album comes tofruition but maybe lay off the guys personal life a bit. We all love to knowabout our favorite stars but before asking a question, ask yourself if this issomething that you would like someone asking about you. The thing I realizedabout Prince is he is really sensitive. He really deserves a bit of a break. Hehas been thru a lot, probably way more than alot of us. Lets treat the guy withrespect.

just want to say thanks to a few folks here before I split. thanks tosquirrelgrease,unique,joey cococo for hangin since the beginning, being sototally respectful and helping out. Thanks Groovement for all the Hotlanta Jamzand Ive got to give a special shout to one of you who just floored me. Now Ihope Prince becomes an old old man. When he eventually passes, someone is goingto need to spearhead that vault of his. I think there is only one personqualified and that person is scififilmnerd. Ive never met someone so into it,so appreciative and someone who has devoted so much of his life to documentingPrinces music. Any artist would be proud to have someone like this. Id love tosee the look on his face if this wish of mine came true and he peered into thevault for the first time.

ok then till we meet again.

peace.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:32 am