Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Most Valuable Beatles Album

maxim9691

Most Valuable Beatles Album

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:36 am

What is the most Valuable Beatles Album

This album went on sale in the US and Canada and was on sale for one day only, in it's highly valued condition.

For a clean copy pricing starts at $10,000 to $40,000 in mint condition

What is this Album ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    fkkScoop

Re: Most Valuable Beatles Album

Post by fkkScoop on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:25 am

I dont know! scratch

But I guess the MASTER of Disaster = Ymaginatif will know this by a sec!!!!
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:01 am

I know I know!

But I'll let other people guess Smile

PS Another tip: they ended up glueing another cover on top of it Cool

The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jfrost

Post by Jfrost on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Is This is the one where the Beatles are covered in meat and dolls??? I don't know its name!
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Are you saying my parents are sitting on a wee fortune? I seen some of their Beatles albums, all of them in fact and all in minty condition. I do recall the spagetti dolls album, name is gone though. Idea

The Funky Universe "Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful"
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:38 pm

keep in mind there were a number of fakes and the copies with new covers glued over the old are worth very little

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:41 pm

maxim9691 wrote:keep in mind there were a number of fakes and the copies with new covers glued over the old are worth very little

My parents got them in the 60's in their heydays in London, all originals! "Kill Them" :face: :face: :face: rofl

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:42 pm

CKJ505 wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:keep in mind there were a number of fakes and the copies with new covers glued over the old are worth very little

My parents got them in the 60's in their heydays in London, all originals! "Kill Them" :face: :face: :face: rofl

This album was released in the US and Canada and was on sale for 1 day only

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:18 pm

maxim9691 wrote:
    CKJ505 wrote:

This album was released in the US and Canada and was on sale for 1 day only

Can't wait to find out what it is and delve into the old pairs attic! rofl

Jfrost

Post by Jfrost on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 pm

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Jfrost wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

???

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Jfrost wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nope, they don't have that one, if they did, I would be very worried... affraid

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:06 pm

The Beatles claimed that it was an anti war statement

Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:01 am

or rather: The Beatles were too high to notice what that photographer was doing with them : lol:

pretty distasteful, I would say Shocked

Shocked In case you ask, no I don't have a copy tongue
    ( I even have only 1 original Beatles LP, and that's even a Belgian pressing ...)

Lots of people went to a lot of trouble to carefully remove the new cover so as to reveal the Butcher's cover and sell it for a lot of money!
    Then the version with the fake cover still on there become so rare, that THAT has become very expensive to buy (a bit like a rare raecord but still in the plastic wrapping so that even when you buy it you'll never be able to hear it Laughing )
    The later version, which just has the new cover

and nothing underneath is worth hardly anything ...

(btw way, concerning the new picture: do you see McCartney is sitting in an open coffin?! One of the MANY death-clues)

The solo-experience: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:12 am

It's a trunk Rolling Eyes
    The "Butcher cover"

In early 1966, photographer Robert Whitaker had the Beatles in the studio for a conceptual art piece entitled "A Somnambulant Adventure." For the shoot, Whitaker took a series of pictures of the group dressed in butcher smocks and draped with pieces of meat and body parts from plastic baby dolls. The group played along as they were tired of the usual photo shoots and the concept was compatible with their own "black humour".Although not originally intended as an album cover, the Beatles submitted photographs from the session for their promotional materials. According to a 2002 interview published in Mojo magazine, former Capitol president Alan W. Livingston stated that it was Paul McCartney who pushed strongly for the photo's inclusion as the album cover, and that McCartney reportedly described it as "our comment on the war". A photograph of the band smiling amid the mock carnage was used as promotional advertisements for the British release of the "Paperback Writer" single. Also, a similar photograph from this shoot was used for the cover of the 11 June 1966 edition of the British music magazine Disc.
    In the United States, Capitol Records printed approximately 750,000 copies of Yesterday and Today with the same photograph as "Paperback Writer".They were assembled in Capitol's four US plants situated in different cities: Los Angeles, California; Scranton, Pennsylvania; Winchester, Virginia; and Jacksonville, Illinois. Numbers designating where the covers originated were printed near the RIAA symbol on the back; for example, stereo copies from the Los Angeles plant are designated "5" and mono Los Angeles copies are marked "6". Mono copies outnumbered stereo copies by about 10 to 1, making the stereo copies far more rare and valuable to collectors. A small fraction of the original covers were shipped to disc jockeys and store managers as advance copies. Reaction was immediate, as Capitol received complaints from some dealers. The record was immediately recalled under orders from Capitol parent company EMI chairman Sir Joseph Lockwoo and all copies were ordered shipped back to the record label, leading to its rarity and popularity among collectors. It has been substantiated that the record was indeed for sale in some stores, including Wallich's Music City in Hollywood and some Sears stores, in limited areas and probably for only one day.
    Capitol initially ordered plant managers to destroy the covers, and the Jacksonville plant delivered most of its copies to a landfill. However, faced with so many jackets already printed, Capitol decided instead to paste a much more conventional cover over the old ones. The new cover, featuring a picture of a less-than-content band posed around an open steamer trunk, had to be trimmed on the open end by about 1/8 inch because the new sheet, known as a "slick", was not placed exactly "square" on top of the original cover. Tens of thousands of these so-called "Trunk" covers were sent out. As word of this manoeuvre became known to the public, owners of the altered cover attempted, usually unsuccessfully, to peel off the pasted-over cover, hoping to reveal the original image hidden beneath. Eventually, the soaring value and desirability of unpasted-over Butcher covers spurred the development of intricate and complex techniques for peeling the Trunk cover off in such a way that only faint horizontal glue lines remained on the original cover.
    Copies that have never had the white cover pasted onto them, known as "first state" covers, are very rare and command the highest prices. Copies with the pasted-on cover intact above the butcher image are known as "second state" or "pasteovers"; today, pasteover covers that have remained unpeeled are also becoming increasingly rare and valuable. Covers that have had the Trunk cover removed to reveal the underlying butcher image are known as "third state" covers; these are now the most common (and least valuable, although their value varies depending on how well the cover is removed) as people continue to peel second state covers. The most valuable and highly prized First and Second State Butcher Covers are those that were never opened and remain still sealed in their original shrink wrap.

In 1987, then-president of Capitol Records, Alan Livingston released for sale twenty-four "first state" butcher covers from his private collection. When the original cover was scrapped in June 1966, Livingston took a case of already-sealed "Butcher" albums from the warehouse before they were to be pasted over with the new covers, and kept them in a closet at his home. These albums were first offered for sale at a Beatles convention at the Marriott Hotel near Los Angeles International Airport on Thanksgiving weekend 1987 by Livingston's son Peter. These still-sealed pristine items, which included nineteen mono and five stereo versions, are the very rarest "pedigree" specimen "Butcher Covers" in existence. These so-called "Livingston Butchers" today command premium prices among collectors, the five stereo versions being the most rare and valuable of these. In April 2006, Heritage Auction Galleries sold one of the sealed mono "Livingston Butchers" at auction in Dallas for about $39,000.

Capitol Records of Canada vice president and A&R head at the time Paul White kept a mono cover and a stereo cover slick for his collection.

At the time, some of the Beatles defended the use of the Butcher photograph. John Lennon said that it was "as relevant as Vietnam" and McCartney said that their critics were "soft".[9] Ringo Starr has said that it was a commentary on how Capitol Records "butchered" their original albums.[citation needed] However, this opinion was not shared by all band members. George Harrison, for one, thought the whole idea "was gross, and I also thought it was stupid. Sometimes we all did stupid things thinking it was cool and hip when it was naïve and dumb; and that was one of them. Capitol Records apologised for the offence. Yesterday and Today was the only Beatles record to lose money for Capitol.

There are no Tape versions of the Yesterday ...and Today "Butcher Cover" as 8-Track Cartridges in 1966 were issued approximately 1 month after the vinyl album was released and Cassette Tapes of "Yesterday & Today" were not issued by Capitol Records until 1968.

And the super rare Purple Trunk cover which is worth $15,000
    The Purple Trunk Cover reproduced for the first time is the only alternate, fully-realized replacement cover for Yesterday...And Today that exists. Press proofs were printed, but scrapped at the last minute when the White Trunk Cover design was ultimately chosen. Only four copies of the Purple Trunk Cover are known to have survived, and they have been valued as high as $15,000.

The original Beatles Yesterday...And Today album cover, issued in the United States in June 1966, featured a color picture, taken by Robert Whitaker, of the group dressed in white butcher smocks and draped in pieces of raw meat and the parts of several dismembered dolls. This controversial album design soon became known as the Butcher Cover.

Oddly enough, that photo had not been intended to be used for an album cover at all when it was taken, but in fact was part of a collection of shots that comprised a photo series titled the "Somnambulant Adventure". (This series was never published, although the Butcher photo and several other pictures appeared individually.)

Upon its release the Yesterday...And Today jacket shocked most radio station dj's, record reviewers, and store owners, and was immediately recalled. John Lennon once stated that "...it was inspired by boredom and resentment at having to do another photo session and another Beatle thing."

A new photo session was quickly arranged with Robert Whitaker. By happenstance, there was a steamer trunk in the studio, which the Beatles wearily stood around. This session producted the more subdued picture of the group featured above.
    As with most commerical art, several layouts of the Butcher and Trunk covers were designed and submitted to executives at Capitol Records in Hollywood for approval. The actual creative work was done by Queens Litho in Long Island City, New York, who in the sixties, developed most of the covers for Capitol.

Over the years various color separations, press proofs or mock-ups have surfaced for the Butcher and Trunk covers. . But none are as rare and unique as the Purple Trunk Cover.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:24 pm