Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

so, ice breaker time... what non prince related CD's have you bought / downloaded / listened to lately?

purpleblues1

so, ice breaker time... what non prince related CD's have you bought / downloaded / listened to lately?

Post by purpleblues1 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 pm

we are all finding our way here, but with time zone discrepancies, work and families, we haven't had a house warming party...
    So, in the spirit of sharing, I thought I'd start a conversation about music..
    I went to the local wrecka store and picked up a pile of new stuff to listen to.
    I bought the following...
    Big Whiskey & the Grugrux King by Dave Matthews Band
    a CD by Johnny Bennett( American folk rocker with a good bluesy sound , think Nick Drake fronting the replacements)
    the Flowers From Hell CD ( Gothic orchestral rock)
    The New Ruby Turner Gospel CD
    and a reissue of Hawkwind's "Love In Space " live CD
    A Paul Scharwz "Aria" CD that combined opera and chill out
    Also received my mp3 download of Paul Cusick's debut CD " Focal Point". an excellent CD combining the angst of Porcupine tree with the lyrical invention of Roger Waters era Floyd, all the while driven by his gilmour style guitar.
    So there we have it, from Opera to Space Rock via gospel and blues.. my week in music (so far!)
    maxim9691

Re: so, ice breaker time... what non prince related CD's have you bought / downloaded / listened to lately?

Post by maxim9691 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:41 pm

Arcadia - So Red the Rose
    I believe its the only I've bought this year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Re: so, ice breaker time... what non prince related CD's have you bought / downloaded / listened to lately?

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Mos Def - The Ecstatic
    DMB - Big Whiskey & the Gru Grux King
    The Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.

I'm anxiously waiting for Maxwell's "Black Summer's Night" to be released in July!! It only took him 8 years to release a new cd!!

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi purpleblues
    Long time no chat so lets break that ice
    This month I've picked up the following "Wild Young Heart" by Noisettes Which I picked up in Hmv after reading a lot of good reviews, and they were right probable the best album of 2009.
    Also laid my hands on "Invaders Must Die" by The Prodigy as come-backs go it kicks U2 ass. Agreat return to Ol' House
    For a complete change of pace I went with "Bare Rones" by Madeleine Peyroux. She is simply the closest thing in our time to Billie Holiday. Magic
    Irish girl Laura Izibor released "Let The Truth Be Told" and kinda one part Beyonce and another part Amy Winehouse and completely Brilliant.
    A great month so far not to mention what I've picked up in the bargin bin-
    Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
    NIN - The Slip
    Beck - Guero
    Kanye West - 808 and Heartbreak
    Making it a fantastic month for music in my Place
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:01 am

I'll put some more icecubes in the mix!

I really enjoyed Ben Fold's newest album 'Way To Normal' - he's a great musician with a sense of humor, who records catchy songs. I wish I was him tongue

Also bought the new Elvis Costello album 'The Secret, Profane and Sugarcane', more out of habit than because I really like it. It's a country songs collection, the folky type of country, mainly acoustic. I like the man, so I think I'll find something on it, but so far I haven't been blown away by it.

The new Tori Amos, 'Abnormally Attracted To Sin' I bought on double vinyl. a fine album, though not noticably different from any previous albums. one to play in the background while I'm doing something else.

Ah yes, and the Deluxe version of Paul McCartney's recent Fireman album (Electric Arguments) finally arrived in the post. It's the most deluxe thing I've ever seen for 1 album, with a solid metal box, containing a double LP, 2 CDs, 2 DVDs, artprints a huge book and more. One of the DVD has the masters of the songs, so you can remix them yourself. Impressive!

There's so much music, isn't there?! Most of the people mentioned above I haven't even heard of?! Madeleine Peyroux - I like her music.
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:54 pm

time for another round of cocktails........
    I've enjoyed the conversation so far.
    An eclectic mix of styles here, some sound really interesting.
    I love listening to new artists and often select CD's on the basis of the cover art or a listen to a track.
    I'm lucky in that a friend has a wrecka store where he often has promo copies of CD's at great deals before they are out, not that HMV would stock half of them ( Flowers From Hell being a fine example)
    I was thinking about some of the artists that I've discovered by this osmotic process - Ian Siegal, a great English blues singer ( imagine Tom Waits reincarnated as Chris Rea). His CD " More Meat And Potatoes " caught my eye, i purchased it, then went back and picked up his latter CD , "Swagger". I then branched out and bought a couple of Matt Schofield CD's as he was the producer on the Ian Siegal CD's.
    Another discovery , based solely on the artwork was English folk singer Jon Redfern. bought his CD, went on his web site and bought more..
    Another fine Cd that found it's way into my Cd player was " In THe Garden" by Aussie Prog band " Unitopia".
    Prog is my guilty secret... I love Marillion, Genesis, early Dream Theatre, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd et al.
    The Unitopia CD was compared favourably to The Flower Kings and Transatlantic, so I took a gamble and those nice people at Amazon despatched it, and it's excellent, a mix of pomp, instrumental prowess and astute lyricism.

I love making Mix CD's for friends , introducing them to new sounds , and the compilation and track order gives as much pleasure as the music .
    I don't expect everyone to like every track, but if they then go and buy CD's , then job done.
    I've turned friends on to Ian McNabb, Tom McRae, Jess Rodens, and of course, Prince.
    So, which artists would you choose to "promote" on a mix CD?
    and why?
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:16 pm

A hypothetical mix CD that I might create in order to get new fans for said artist would contain the following.

Missy Higgins
    Sarah Blasko
    Vienna Teng
    Stephen Simmonds
    John Mayer

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:38 pm

Most recently I've brought Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D. and wished I'd gone for the standard version rather than the deluxe as it would've saved me some money - so dissapointing.
    Simon & Garfunkel's collection of 5 albums and a dvd for £8 in the HMV sale - class!
    Storm Large's Crazy Enough (which I'm still waiting to be delivered from her distributor in the USA) - she made the top 5 of Rock Star Supernova a couple of years back
    Toby Keith's Greatest Hits
    Booker T - Potato Head (not had chance to listen to this yet)
    Andy Abraham's Even If after his concert in my town - he was runner up on The X Factor in 2005
    Quite a mixed bag, but thats me - a varied taste!

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:47 pm

I just picked up Recently by the Dave Matthews Band and Dark Was The Night, a compilation by a bunch of different artists, really too many to post here. I'll probably pick up a Michael Jackson greatest hits soon if I can find one, I never realized how many great songs he had. That's about it for now, but once I get a job I'll probably be posting in here like everyday.
    Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:58 pm

I recently picked up NIN's Year Zero & The Fragile; both highly recommended albums. Fragile is up there with Downward Spiral as my fave NIN albums.

Also, I've been slowly acquiring The Parliaments albums, my latest additions being chocolate city, placebo, & up for the downstroke through BMG's 12 for price of 1 promotion. All are nice, laid back funk, notas crazybrilliant as mothership connection but outstanding nonetheless.

Besides that, I chill out to baroque classical music from the likes of Bach. I wasn't introduced to Bach until I recently visited a Castlevania fansite that compared the exquisitely somber/atmospheric score of Super Castlevania 4 for the SNES/superfamicom to composer Bach's orchestral pieces. That assertion was spot on. The Castlevania series has always housed my favorite 8-bit musical masterpieces and other Soundtracks I recommend from the saga include the Symphony of the Night, Rondo of Blood, & the 2 melodic heavy metal remix albums entitled Dracula Battle, recorded by Japanese musicians during 1993-94.

John Carpenter movie scores are a pleasure of mine as well. Assault on Precinct 13, The Fog, Escape from New York, Prince of Darkness, & Halloween III being in my top 5 Carpenter scores.

So, my taste in music is quite eclectic outside the realm of funkrock, to say the least.
    kramor2k

Post by kramor2k on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:39 pm

Last three CDs bought by me

1) '3 Baloons' by comedian Stephen Lynch, in prepration for going to see him in Dublin in September

2) 'Dongs Of Sevotion' by SMOG. Contains of of my all time FAV tracks Dress Sexy At My Funeral. Will be on my Podcast if I ever finish it.

3) Mess Of Blues by Jeff Healy. To replace the copy my brother stole while visiting my new house.......!!!!!! (R.I.P Jeff Healy)
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:40 am

well, that's the first round in, every one got their tipple of desire?
    good stuff.
    Right then, this week, I've been commuting across the Berkshire countryside in the sunshine, listening to a motley grab bag of CD's :-
    Ben Harper & Relentless 7 "White Lies for Dark Times" and a live concert promoting this fine CD, recorded in Berlin, a 24 bit audience boot, the quality of which is stunning, best sounding Non P boot I've heard since the recordings of Leonard Cohen at the Dome..
    Paul Cusick - Focal point. The real silver disc arrived from Paul mid week ,and it's a real eye opener - the mp3 tracks were great, but to listen to it in the sequence the artist intended makes it all fall into place. Think Porcupine tree meet Pink Floyd produced by Todd Rundgren......
    Katie Melua - Live At The Dome - slipped into HMV last Saturday with the kids and came out with 2 CD's for a tenner, This and Grace Jones "Hurricane" and they are both worth every penny. a nice juxtaposition of archetypes tho - they fey, wistful yet ultimately controlling voice of Ms Melua against the brash, over confident anti misogynistic Ms Jones, who is enslaved, not by the rhythm, but by her own mythological past
    Steven Wilson's Insurgencies RMX CD arrived, and a fine reinterpretation of tracks from the CD, acts as a complimentary dish to the original rather than an alternative.
    Other Artists featuring on the stereo at home and in the car have been :- Led Zeppelin " Remasters " CD 1, s breath of classic fresh air this morning...
    Dream Theater at Download - an audience recording, almost wish I'd gone... a fine band when you're in the mood for big , bold Prog metal shapes
    Booker T & DBT "Potato Hole" - an impulse purchase. initial listening was that it was a bit bland a samey, but I'll listen again, and he cover s Tom Waits ...and Neil Young is playing on it, so had to be done Smile
    Oh, and the Easy Star All Stars "Dub side of the Moon arrived, completing the triology ( Radiodread & Sgt Pepper's dub band already having wormed their way int omy subconscious. Perfect sunshine music- dub remakes of iconic albums.... can't wait for "Never Mind the dubbocks" or "Purple Dub"

Next week... 8) 8) Pineapple Thief 2 CD retrospective ........ and will dig out a selection from the Purplblues archives to discuss with you all....

keep it funky..
    Jfrost

Post by Jfrost on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:37 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
    John Carpenter movie scores are a pleasure of mine as well. Assault on Precinct 13, The Fog, Escape from New York, Prince of Darkness, & Halloween III being in my top 5 Carpenter scores.

Does anyone else hear John Carpenter influence on Prince's "Dance With the Devil" (the Batman Outtake)
    Or is it all in my mind.
    Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:13 am

Does anyone else hear John Carpenter influence on 's "Dance With the Devil" (the Batman Outtake)
    Or is it all in my mind.

Not only are you hip to H.P. Lovecraft but to John Carpenter music as well. I think I've found myself a new best friend cheers .

To me, Dance With the Devil has more in common with Jerry Goldsmith's The Omen, but if you subtract the chorus elements, I too can hear a hint of John Carpenter in there as well. Good call.

As for another Prince outtake, I detect a slight Suspiria (from Dario Argento) vibe whenever I listen to Prince's Others Here With Us.
    Jfrost

Post by Jfrost on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:02 pm

Never seen Suspiria but I will keep an eye, as well as ear, out for it.
    Are there clips on Youtube because some of these older DVD's are hard come by.
    fkkScoop

Last 3 Cds I bought

Post by fkkScoop on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:42 am

Mando Diao - Give me fire (The Best Album from MD)
    Gossip - Music for men(It cames out here in Germany a few weeks ago and rocks, also in Top Ten)
    The Civil Twilight - The Civil Twilight (As an US - Import only possible to get here, nice smooth PopRock)
    kramor2k

Post by kramor2k on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 pm

O.K this will be an odd collection......

Recently bought/downloaded/borrowed these ........

Barara Streisand - Guitly
    Dr. Hook - Greatest Hits
    Neil Sedaka - Laughter In The Rain
    Don Williams - Best Of
    Neil Diamond - greatest Hits
    Elvis - 50 Album Collection

.......all my parents favourites. I am in the process of compiling a his and hers twin I-pod set for my parents for the Christmas pressies should be ready in a few weeks. Might throw a little Prince on there too just to remind what they're missing.... tongue !!!!
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:08 am

You're such a good son - if you're willing to listen through these!!!

You've got iPod-listening parents? waw, they are 'with' it!

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Here's what I picked up last Friday:

Harry Nilsson - Best Of Harry Nilsson
    Nine Inch Nails - Broken
    Prince And The New Power Generation - Cream
    The Shore - The Shore

Got 'em all together for around $13, pretty nice deal. Lemme tell you though, listening to NIN and Nilsson back to back is rather jarring, to say the least.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 am

Xorn wrote:Here's what I picked up last Friday:

Nine Inch Nails - Broken
    The Shore - The Shore

Got 'em all together for around $13, pretty nice deal. Lemme tell you though, listening to NIN and Nilsson back to back is rather jarring, to say the least.

Reminds me of a Record store story.
    I think it was 1989 and I was on my way to a Joan Jett concert when I thought I would stop by Music Land and buy a shirt to wear to the concert.
    So I find a shirt and a new CD that I'd been looking for. Upon placing my 2 items on the counter I noticed that I had created alot of buzz and whispering amoung the employees.
    One of them asked if these were for me and my following 'Yes' generated additional hard looks from the employees.
    The CD was Basia 'time and tide' and the Shirt was Metal Church.
    I guess they weren't used to seeing people listen to Jazz Pop while wereing a Heavy Metal shirt. Laughing

Note- for those scoring at home. I don't listen to Metal anymore!

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:22 pm

maxim9691 wrote:
    Xorn wrote:Here's what I picked up last Friday:

Nine Inch Nails - Broken
    The Shore - The Shore

Reminds me of a Record store story.
    I think it was 1989 and I was on my way to a Joan Jett concert when I thought I would stop by Music Land and buy a shirt to wear to the concert.
    So I find a shirt and a new CD that I'd been looking for. Upon placing my 2 items on the counter I noticed that I had created alot of buzz and whispering amoung the employees.
    One of them asked if these were for me and my following 'Yes' generated additional hard looks from the employees.
    The CD was Basia 'time and tide' and the Shirt was Metal Church.
    I guess they weren't used to seeing people listen to Jazz Pop while wereing a Heavy Metal shirt. Laughing

Note- for those scoring at home. I don't listen to Metal anymore!

Ha, glad to know I'm not the only one with tastes all over the map.
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Haven't we all Laughing

The other day my wife got really worried when I first played a Brothers Four LP and then a Katja Ebstein LP ...
    Wait ... maybe that's just called bad taste Laughing

(explanation: that's what my parents listened to when I was a child --- something about them that I still love.
    The Brothers Four perform the oldest rap song that I know: 1965 !!!! Laughing )
    theartistcamille

Post by theartistcamille on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Patti LaBelle gretatest hits, Selena Anthology, Aaliyah One In A Million and Pink Can't Take Me Home.
    Jfrost

Post by Jfrost on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:36 am

Had to
    The Beatles - Revolver (Re-master)
    The Beatles - Abbey Road (Remaster)
    Herbie Hancock - Inventions and Dimensions
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:30 pm

I resisted the lure of the Beatles CD's- although Sgt Pepper £8.75 in Sainsbury's!!! [b]
    This week we have been rocking out to "On This Perfect Day" by Guilt Machine, an excellent new Prog rock set from Arjen Lucassen. Think Radiohead and Porcupine Tree playing Pink Floyd with Beatles harmonies and The Flower Kings sense of theatre, all wrapped up in a nice shiny (black) gothic layer of orchestration
    Boogied away to the cool old school blues Of "Highway 17" by the Cadillac Kings
    Getting mellow with the blues of Tommy McCoy & Lucky Peterson's reissue of "Lay My Demons Down"
    The restrained English Blues of Snowy White's Blues Ageny's 2 CD reissue "Twice as Addictive"
    The storming jazz and Blues of Robben Ford's new CD "Soul on Ten" ( a live CD ) was a spontaneous pre order from DR Amazon that this patient is happy to take daily.
    Also finding refuge in the PB home for CD's have been :-
    Eric Gales " The Story OF My Life" - a good funky rocking blues CD
    Keb MO' 's "Suitcase - mellow acoustic styling, very classy , ideal late night Entropy posting music..
    Gov't Mule live at Bonnaroo 2009 ( excellent set ,loads of cover s of Beatles etc, including a really bluesy "Creep"...

And we pre ordered Muse, Porcupine Tree and Hawkwind 's Levitation ltd 3 CD reissue..
    Just don't tell Mrs PB ,as she will only go and buy more shoes in retaliation Smile

And, for those soothing sounds to wash the world away, a Simon And Garfunkel collection..

All Cd's were adopted form Dr Amazon or my local 2nd hand CD emporium apart from Gov't Mule which was those nice people over at that musical archive type thingy....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 am