Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Janelle Monae - "Tightrope" on David Letterman

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Thu May 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Unfortunately, she is probably better known at the moment for her tweet about the new P album, but hopefully this will change. She may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I definitely like her approach in trying to stand out from the clutter of singers out there. While the moves are James, the spirit is pure P (to me, anyway). I hope she does well

Enjoy

Mace2theO

Re: Janelle Monae - "Tightrope" on David Letterman

Post by Mace2theO on Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 pm

By the way, Maceo is an oldz and cynical, so afro doesn't recommend new artists that often
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Thu May 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Yeah yeah!!!
    Great great great...before the tweed I didn´t know that she had released FINALLY a second album...waiting almost the same timeperiod for the new D´angelo tune...(Still waiting)

But I can´t hold on what comes to my mind when I see this Video:

Didn´t she looks at this performance like the Jackson 5 Michael Jackson? A little bit?
    I mean the face (only the face, without hair..etc.)
    Is not a good pic....but...no, yes?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But she´s awesome...really unique!!!
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Mace2theO wrote:By the way, Maceo is an oldz and cynical, so afro doesn't recommend new artists that often

Sorry, meant to say that Maceo is not really into post-70's R&B female singers (Braxton, Carey, whoever-of-the-moment) as so much sounds the same, and I like that Janelle has a different approach than the pack.

This is her second album, but first major release. She was self-releasing her debut album in 4 suites, and only two came out before she was signed. She had some futuristic space concept that is a bit toned down - thankfully - for this release. Haven't picked up the new one yet, so at moment just going with the video.

re whether she resembles the original MJ, must say it never occured to me
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 am

She is GOOD!!
    Definitely something different than the fashionable R&B style - in that it is lively, energetic, with joy and cool attitude! Most certainly a touch of James Brown, even in the melody and the way of singing!

Thanks for pointing her out Maceo: I have to go and check her album now!
    (and you get 100 extra funkpoints! cheers (water to the sea, I know Laughing )

Does she like like young MJ? Mmm, perhaps a bit more than Letterman does ... ? But it didn't strike me as such ...
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Fri May 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:

Definitely something different than the fashionable R&B style - in that it is lively, energetic, with joy and cool attitude! ...

That's what I am responding to. Hopefully now more than just the one who tweeted Very Happy
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:34 am

Janelle was in London last week and didn't tell me Cry

But somebody had a camera Very Happy

Janelle Monae’s star power
    Irish Times
    by Jim Carroll

So this is what the revolution looks and sounds like. We’re in the Hoxton Square Bar, a small room in east London which is packed to capacity. The man on the door says there are 240 people inside, but it sure feels from the heat that they’ve packed in some more bodies. There’s sweat rolling down the walls, there’s excited hollering from the masses and there’s the sense that we’re at an event. All eyes are on the stage where Janelle Monae is rocking her socks off. She just can’t stop. We don’t want her to stop.

Monae is in London to plug the bejaysus out of “The ArchAndroid”. It’s the pop album of the season, an album full to the brim with tunes which take their cues from all over the shop. There’s rock and funk and soul and hip-hop and psychedelia in the mix as Monae tips the hat to (deep breath) James Brown, OutKast, Grace Jones, Sly Stone, Nina Simone, Stevie Wonder and various other famous flames. Sure, there’s a dastardly concept based on Metropolis (Monae is an android called Cindi Mayweather) and a striking image (tuxedo and quiff), but there are also stone-cold magnificent tunes to keep the whole party going. “Tightrope”, “Cold War”, “Faster”, “Come Alive”, “Wondaland”: she certainly didn’t skimp on the fabulous tunes front. (The album is streaming here).

Those tunes are important because Monae didn’t quite have a handle on this before. I caught her at SXSW 2009 and, while hugely impressed once I’d worked out what was going on, there was little to hang onto bar the brief outlines of a r’n'b/hip-hop star not going through the usual motions. Fastforward a year and Monae has “The ArchAndroid” to do all the heavy lifting for her.

Now, when she plays live, she does so with gusto and a whole bunch of fantastic tunes. As a five piece band (including two dancers who seem to be wearing beaked masks borrowed from The Knife) colour in the lines in the songs, Monae turns on the style. She can sing like an angel, but this is very much about the performance. Every tune packs a punch as Monae the show-woman channels everyone from Muhammad Ali to James Brown. That trademark quiff comes undone time and time again and she pins it back into place every time. It’s part of the uniform and she most definitely is working up there.

We talk a lot about stars and star power these days. Just as we’ve turned “genius” into a catch-all term by hoisting it on bedraggled lo-fi whippersnappers who can’t keep their guitars in tune, our overuse of the star term means we kind of take it for granted.

But Monae’s show retakes, remakes and reshapes that. You watch her turn this packed little club insideout and upsidedown and you know this is just the start of things. It’s exciting, uninhibited, edgy, sexy, provocative and exhiliaring. She’s a star, pure and simple, and she’s just getting started.

maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:24 am

The first video has been taken down

From a 2008 news report
    (ickmusic)
    There’s lots of ways to hear about a new artist. Find a cool blog posting. Hear it on the radio. Have a friend tell you about it. Or in this case, have one of your favorite artists wait outside of the Viper Room for the artist’s gig to end so he can talk to her.

Prince drove down the hill to the Sunset Strip last night to meet with Atlanta-based, futuristic R&B singer Janelle Monáe after her gig. E Online found it newsworthy enough to write about it, and I apparently find it newsworthy enough to repeat it here. It’s just that I often wonder what my purple friend is up to. The man still doesn’t have a functional official web site, which is stupefying to me. For all the fuss he makes about people posting his images, songs, and videos on the internet, you’d think that he would have something to offer us. But nope, still zilch on the internet front.

But on to Janelle. The music is unique, fresh, funky, and you can hear influences from Prince to Outkast to smooth singers like Shirley Bassey (she sang some of the James Bond themes). Janelle was recently signed to Diddy’s Bad Boy Records, which is okay as long as he keeps his paws off. I don’t feel like hearing his “yeah”s and “uh”s in her songs.

Janelle’s well on her way to establishing herself as the next best thing on the scene. As usual, I’m a little behind. So thanks Mr. Nelson for swinging by the Viper Room last night. I owe you. No, not actual money. Man, that Prince… always looking for a payday!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    bluefish

Post by bluefish on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Sorry, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. I had heard great things about her prior to the BET Awards, so I was looking forward to seeing her perform for myself. What I saw was embarrassing. She came off like a hyperactive toddler on stage. NOT for me! scared
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Finally found another copy...Maceo thinks the music world is better off with Janelle as part it, than not. To each his/her own

CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 pm

She has to have James Brown's genes going on in there somewhere, great singer, great dancer, great look, definitely one to watch! cool3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 am