Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

The song out of context experience

Ymaginatif

The song out of context experience

Post by Ymaginatif on Wed May 12, 2010 5:29 am

It's happened to me quite a few times, and I wonder whether people here have similar stories.
    I often listen to music on my iPod, which has quite a few albums on it, using shuffle. So it makes the strangest skips from funk into folk and jazz into pop. I rather enjoy that.

This morning, the song 'Resolution' popped up (after some Black rebel Motorcycle Club and before some Paul McCartney Laughing ). Now, I'm one of those people who really don't like the Planet Earth album (with the exception of a few songs, like Chelsea Rodgers and Guitar after Maxim had laid his hands on it), and I usually think of the Wendy & Lisa and Prince reunion for this album as a total non-happening.
    But this song came up, out of the blue, and it somehow 'connected'. I'm still not a fan of it, but it struck me from the very nice guitar intro all the way to the sighing synthesizer ending that this sounded as a true attempt to recapture the late Revolution sound. The one you hear in songs like Splash and Large Room.
    For the first time I really heard Wendy's (and perhaps also Lisa's) vocals all the way through the song, contributing some nice and tight harmonies. There's a short flute break too, which, if it hadn't stuttered to the complete stand-still it ends up in here, echoes the jazzy tendencies again of the late Revolution period. The melody is simple poppy and harmless (of the type of Teacher Teacher, or Neon Telephone). And to top it off, the song is called 'Resolution' --- more than just a wink and a solution as to what happened to the Revolution?

So, what I'm trying to say is that by listening to this song in isolation, I felt I could understand it much better than in its usual place, at the very end of a mediocre album that had been trying my patience for too long Laughing

Re: The song out of context experience

Post by Guest on Wed May 12, 2010 6:45 am

Interesting. Definitely not my favurite album yet definitely my favourite cd box.
    I should listen to it again.
    Re: Ipd shuffles. I actually only put on songs I really like not entire albums. I love the shuffle aspect though because you can still skip, but it often throws up something that you might not have planned to listen to that day.
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 on Wed May 12, 2010 6:58 am

Sometimes tracks should be listened to on their own without the rest of the album, I know it's hard to do but as you found Resolution has a certain feel to it for sure. I feel though that P's Planet Earth album was not really a true album compared to Lotus, more of a PR stunt to coincide with the 21 nights tour in London.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 am