Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Your Hardcopy Music Experience

maxim9691

Your Hardcopy Music Experience

Post by maxim9691 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:59 am

purpleblues1 wrote:

I feel at home here, where a more catholic approach is the norm.
    here I can post about my latest CD or band fave, safe in the knowledge that it won't generate screaming abuse or flaming attacks.
    For me it's the directions we bounce off on that are more important than the end of the journey.
    Without the cyber interactions here, we wouldn't be able to have this discussion, without the ambience and support of the regulars, the ability to talk about anything would be lost and the world would shrink again.
    I know that this is going off track, but I've had more fun here chatting about everything but P collecting than I thought was possible.

And I did go into a shop and purchase a P boot CD once! the only time I'd ever seen one, paid £12 for a 2nd hand copy of an Italian pressing of the Paris "Le Zenith" Parade tour concert..
    See , can do the train-spotter bit too!!!
    And as for Vinyl, well many years ago Mrs PB announced that there was not enough room in our house for all my vinyl and al these new "CD" things, so I should choose....
    Sadly for you guys, she ( and little silver slivers of digital time ] won that one and my vinyl collection was despatched out into the world to fend for itself..
    The last postcard was from the Hawkwind Albums , they had ended up in a Tokyo collection!

Nicely said PB!
    I have to admit that when the CD came into my life, I could not help but kick the vinyl out of it.
    I still remember the first time I pressed the skip/next button on my first CD player.
    It was nothing short of magic!
    A feat now lost on the younger crowd who didn't go from 8-tracks, Tapes and Records to CD'S.

PS-GOODBYE vinyl and I still don't miss you!!

Last edited by maxim9691 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Ymaginatif

Re: Your Hardcopy Music Experience

Post by Ymaginatif on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:56 am

I still have vinyl filling a shelf or 5 in my house ... And love to spin it ... And even Hannah prefers the 'large discs' Laughing

True, talking about most everything is what Entropy is all about! But that aside, I still love a little Prince chat from time to time too Laughing
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:09 am

Ymaginatif wrote:I still have vinyl filling a shelf or 5 in my house ... And love to spin it ... And even Hannah prefers the 'large discs' Laughing

True, talking about most everything is what Entropy is all about! But that aside, I still love a little Prince chat from time to time too Laughing

You chat with Prince?
    Cool...give me the ICQ number

rofl

Never been so into Vinyl, cause it is doesn´t so my clothing style...Haha
    But I know Y wear Leather and sometimes he take the Latex on.......

Seriously:

The place in the cabinet is the reason why no vinyl....buy some(also Purple Rain)
    But then came just the CD and I loved it...like Maxim said...The skip button was awesome and full of Magic!!!
    BTW, I bought my first CD´s (yes, more then one) before I had a CD player!!!

A friend of mine copied them on Cassette for my Walkman!!!

If I remember right, I do this almost a year or so......

Never want to go back to this time.....without CD/DVD/BD.....maybe Internet also!!!!
    But something missing right now....?
    Ah, yes:

The good old times...That is missing!!!
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 am

Carry the flag for the old crew, I love both cd's and vinyl. Perhaps because I grew up with it and dj'ed with it....now being older, I enjoy the larger print

If I had my way, I would have a nice listening room for vinyl, like in the Amsterdam library.
    I would be happy to host an Entropy Vinyl Listening Party meet up here

The walls would then be lined like this

Of course, wives and babies mean it will never happen, but I can dream....
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:56 am

Mace2theO wrote:Of course, wives and babies mean it will never happen, but I can dream....

Maceo's had too many wives and babies again! Laughing

I remember, the first time I listened to a CD. I was babysitting somewhere, and the parents had a CD player and a nice collection. What an opportunity!! I secretly wanted slipped in Flowers In The Dirt, and I really wanted to hear the final bonus track (which I didn't know yet). I had no idea of the skip-function at that point (you can move a needle on a record, but what do you do with a CD???), so I listened through the whole album, just to get to that final track rofl
    And then the family bought a CD player, and we plugged it into phono. That didn't sound right Laughing --- took a few weeks to get taht problem solved as well.
    ah, the olden days when we were still stupid and innocent Laughing

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:35 am

I actually used cassettes before the CD's came to the fore...my mother had a few records, an odd collection though: The Doors, Neil Diamond, Julio Iglesias, Don McLean, Queen, etc Rolling Eyes...(now I love the Doors & Queen)

I started with my (only Prince) vinyl collection after the CD's came out...

Just like fkkScoop I had quite some CD's before I had the player, I used to collect Prince with a fellow classmate and he had the Cd player, we had bought so many stuff together (actually split the costs)...but when we realised that from a character/ personality point of view we were incompatible, we split everything up. Imagine both of us making a list of the music each wanted to keep for himself Mad :...fortunately it went smooth becuz we had different criteria: he went for the fancy stuff & I went for the harder to get stuff (never told him though, would have meant continuous fights), I was more worried about the music I would be able to find back in the future...

And now with the internet...the only thing I'm worried of is that my hard discs chock let me down or get stolen...funny how times change, who knows...maye one day we will be able to use our underused brain to store data, connect the usb to the ear and of you go... lol!
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:51 am

[quote="Electricecnirp"]I actually used cassettes before the CD's came to the fore...my mother had a few records, an odd collection though: The Doors, Neil Diamond, Julio Iglesias, Don McLean, Queen, etc Rolling Eyes...(now I love the Doors & Queen)

Hey, that's a VERY cool mother there.
    My Dad doesn't do Music, but he was given a pile of vinyl when I was 8, I "stole" Otis Redding's "Otis Blue" and he introduced me to Johnny Cash, the only American he approves of ( Sorry Maceo & Maxim...)
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:33 am

[quote="purpleblues1"]
    Electricecnirp wrote:I actually used cassettes before the CD's came to the fore...my mother had a few records, an odd collection though: The Doors, Neil Diamond, Julio Iglesias, Don McLean, Queen, etc Rolling Eyes...(now I love the Doors & Queen)

Hey, that's a VERY cool mother there.
    My Dad doesn't do Music, but he was given a pile of vinyl when I was 8, I "stole" Otis Redding's "Otis Blue" and he introduced me to Johnny Cash, the only American he approves of ( Sorry Maceo & Maxim...)

Would have thought your Pops would at least give it up for Louis Armstrong... :;jazz:

My P collections is spread out over cassettes, vinyl, cds, VHS tapes, dvds and now digital....I pray there are no more new formats for a while scared
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:52 pm

To push this cool discussion along a bit more...

What Records or Tapes were in your Parents collection ?

For me here are the ones I remember

Beach Boys "endless summber" 8-track and record
    The Beatles "a hard days night" record
    Elvis "live from Hawaii' record
    The Statler Brothers
    Alabama / I have a funny story about this one / !!
    Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers
    American Graffiti record and 8-track

My Grand Parents had one of those crank record players with the heavy vinyl.
    I remembering begging for them to let me listen to it everytime I came for a visit

They also had
    Johnny Cash
    A lot of Elvis and Beatles records do to their children buying them
    Tom T Hall

I remember a story my Mom tells in regards to her Parents and her first Beatles experience.
    She'd just came home from listening to them or was listening to a record, I'm not 100% sure about that part.
    Anyway my Grandmother (her Mom) asked why she was listening to them, because it sounded like noise to her.
    Mom said "they are Crazy Mom. I love their music!'
    Crazy was a slang term for Cool, but my Grandmother (her Mom) didn't see it that way.
    My Grandmother told my Grandfather and he then gave her a talking to and I think a Spanking.
    He said something to the effect that "My kids are not going to be in Love with Crazy people."

rofl

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Awww, ya'll have to diss the vinyl like that?? Some people actually miss the vinyl and here in the US (which I notice I reference to alot) record stores are even selling the record players and making vinyl copies again.
    Personally, I wish I was around for the vinyl age. Seemed very fun and added to the party. My mom likes vinyls better than CDs because the sound was clearer and it sounded like the band or the artist was in the room playing or singing.
    Well...like the 80s era, I guess I missed out on it.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Xstasy wrote:Awww, ya'll have to diss the vinyl like that?? Some people actually miss the vinyl and here in the US (which I notice I reference to alot) record stores are even selling the record players and making vinyl copies again.
    Personally, I wish I was around for the vinyl age. Seemed very fun and added to the party. My mom likes vinyls better than CDs because the sound was clearer and it sounded like the band or the artist was in the room playing or singing.

Vinyl's quality goes down with every listen.
    The treble range is wide but the bass channel does't produce like a digital subwolfer can.

When I hear someone say that they would have loved to live in the vinyl age I wish I could make that happen!
    Take away everything and leave them with only tapes and records.
    You'd be crying for help within a week!
    Keep in mind the stereo you'd have to play them on.
    No more modern subwolfers for you and for 95% of that time period no more remote.
    The speakers were cheap paper cones and the speaker wires always seemed to have a short.
    If someone entered the room at more than a normal pace , the record would skip.
    In most cases a record that skipped a few times was bound to skip in the same spots again.
    No more ipods instead you get a Sony walkman, better stock up on AA batteries, sorry no rechargeables for you.
    Car stereo, forget it! you get a tape player that will at somepoint eat your tape causing you to buy another one!
    Now I remember why I had to buy 10 copies of the Purple rain cassette Laughing

BTW- I live in the US and in the midwest record players and vinyl are available, but it will cost you!

Now that I think about it, future kids will probably wish they were around to enjoy the CD age.

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:58 am

maxim9691 wrote:
    Xstasy wrote:Awww, ya'll have to diss the vinyl like that?? Some people actually miss the vinyl and here in the US (which I notice I reference to alot) record stores are even selling the record players and making vinyl copies again.

Vinyl's quality goes down with every listen.
    The treble range is wide but the bass channel does't produce like a digital subwolfer can.

When I hear someone say that they would have loved to live in the vinyl age I wish I could make that happen!
    Take away everything and leave them with only tapes and records.
    You'd be crying for help within a week!
    Keep in mind the stereo you'd have to play them on.
    No more modern subwolfers for you and for 95% of that time period no more remote.
    The speakers were cheap paper cones and the speaker wires always seemed to have a short.
    If someone entered the room at more than a normal pace , the record would skip.
    In most cases a record that skipped a few times was bound to skip in the same spots again.
    No more ipods instead you get a Sony walkman, better stock up on AA batteries, sorry no rechargeables for you.
    Car stereo, forget it! you get a tape player that will at somepoint eat your tape causing you to buy another one!
    Now I remember why I had to buy 10 copies of the Purple rain cassette Laughing

BTW- I live in the US and in the midwest record players and vinyl are available, but it will cost you!

Now that I think about it, future kids will probably wish they were around to enjoy the CD age.

Comes down to preference. I love both. I trust my ears 100% to make up my mind for me, so I enjoy both. Vinyl fans are lettovers from an earlier generation, and the new generation will never appreciate it after starting out on digital - how could they and why should they? I accept I am part of a dying breed. We're more like anitque car collectors. We're modern for everyday use, but like to pull out the old gear whenever we get a chance

While technology has made enjoying music better and easier, it ain't all roses. Back then we had to replace the cassette or album every few years, but it was cheaper than now having to do the same with the ipod. My turntable, stereo cassette player and walkman all still work.

Maceo the dinosaur afro
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:38 am

Also, and LP which is dirty and scratched still plays. It goes all crackle and pop, but you can still play it! Whereas a scratched CD is lost forever. You either have this annoying jumping all through or *in case of my CDRs) an awful white noise blasting through it. So, despite their fragility, LPs to me have a kind of durability that CDs don't have ...

And to answer an earlier questions: what did my parents listen to (and had me listening along). A very strange mixture:
    ABBA (best of)
    Boney M (That's Boonoonoonoos)
    Cliff Richard (Greatest Hits)
    Harry Belafonte
    Klaus Wunderlich (a German who played the biggest hits on a hammond organ back in the sixties)
    Manfred Man
    Some classical music
    The Brothers Four (=sixties)
    The Platters
    Babe
    Luv'
    Nana Mouskouri
    Deutsche Schlager Hits (brrrrr!)
    Katja Ebstein
    Linda de Suza

and some Dutch-speaking music I won't mention here Laughing
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:12 am

Ah yes, the purpose of the thread...thanks Y!

Mom listened to:
    Charley Pride
    Patsy Kline
    Loretta Lynn
    ....and lots of other country, but those were her favourites
    Tom Jones
    Engelbert Humperdink (sp)

Dad listened to:
    BB King
    Otis Redding
    Duke Ellington
    George Benson

Older sister was key for me, though:
    Al Green
    Smokey Robinson
    James Brown
    ...and lots of 45's!!!
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:09 am

Mace2theO wrote:Ah yes, the purpose of the thread...thanks Y!

Mom listened to:
    Charley Pride
    Patsy Kline
    Loretta Lynn
    Tom Jones

Dad listened to:
    BB King
    Otis Redding
    Duke Ellington
    George Benson

Al Green
    Smokey Robinson
    James Brown
    ...and lots of 45's!!!

Go Dad, must've been a classy guy!

Now that I think of it, my Uncle was offered to go on tour with B.B. King in the 80's.
    That was around the time that Chuck Berry's movie came out- 87-88ish, which created some revived interest in the classics.

Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 am

maxim9691 wrote:
    Mace2theO wrote:Ah yes, the purpose of the thread...thanks Y!

Mom listened to:
    Charley Pride
    Patsy Kline
    Loretta Lynn
    Tom Jones

Dad listened to:
    BB King
    Otis Redding
    Duke Ellington
    George Benson

Al Green
    Smokey Robinson
    James Brown
    ...and lots of 45's!!!

Go Dad, must've been a classy guy!

Now that I think of it, my Uncle was offered to go on tour with B.B. King in the 80's.
    That was around the time that Chuck Berry's movie came out- 87-88ish, which created some revived interest in the classics.

Now that is cool Cool

Post by Guest on Wed May 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Older sister was also important for me. Problem is I used to scratch the records because certain songs I wanted to hear over and over. My first very own LP was Lena Zavaroni. Ma he's making eyes at me. My sister had Joan Baez, Grease of course, Donna Summer & Mom had MJ.

The first Prince albums I had were on cassette. Cds soon after. I don't own any vinyl and actually don't understand the vinyl "junkies" Laughing I have met a few and it takes so much space...but if I hadn't met them, I would never have heard Deodata, spinning on the decks.

I now own plenty of cds but have stopped and collect mp3s. It's just so much easier on the ipod. It's quicker to search for something on there than go through the cds. Too many. Not sure if I'm on topic. I have trouble reading the text on the bamboo background.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Wed May 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Tahiti wrote:Older sister was also important for me. Problem is I used to scratch the records because certain songs I wanted to hear over and over. My first very own LP was Lena Zavaroni. Ma he's making eyes at me. My sister had Joan Baez, Grease of course, Donna Summer & Mom had MJ.

The first Prince albums I had were on cassette. Cds soon after. I don't own any vinyl and actually don't understand the vinyl "junkies" Laughing I have met a few and it takes so much space...but if I hadn't met them, I would never have heard Deodata, spinning on the decks.

I now own plenty of cds but have stopped and collect mp3s. It's just so much easier on the ipod. It's quicker to search for something on there than go through the cds. Too many. Not sure if I'm on topic. I have trouble reading the text on the bamboo background.

What browser are you using ? You shouldn't be able to see the bamboo if your browser is working properly, should only be on the sides.

Post by Guest on Sat May 08, 2010 3:53 am

Brower? I think it's Internet explorer 11 ( or the latest update)
    Yes i yes bamboo everywhere!! Not only on the sides Cry
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Sat May 08, 2010 8:51 am

Tahiti wrote:Brower? I think it's Internet explorer 11 ( or the latest update)
    Yes i yes bamboo everywhere!! Not only on the sides Cry

Read this > [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I checked it using IE and did not have same the problems that you had, which could mean that your IE is corrupt.
    Anyone else have a problem like Tahiti ?

Last edited by maxim9691 on Sat May 08, 2010 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest on Sat May 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Now I see bamboo all over again. Maybe my ie IS corrupt.
    I haven' used FF before and I'm going to live with the bamboo as my entire page is set up with all my goodies everywhere easily accessible. When I had a change once to bing and chrome, I was compltely lost.

Thanks for the tips though!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am