Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Converting and Encoding

Converting and Encoding

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:10 pm

When it comes to audio and video, is converting the same thing as encoding? What's the difference? Does a song's quality goes down everytime it is converted from format to format?

Please let me know, Thanks :]
    maxim9691

Re: Converting and Encoding

Post by maxim9691 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:11 am

Xstasy wrote:When it comes to audio and video, is converting the same thing as encoding? What's the difference? Does a song's quality goes down everytime it is converted from format to format?

Please let me know, Thanks :]

I guess it depends on the program and what they want to call it.
    To me it should be Encoding when your changing something in the same format, say mp3 from 720 to 128kbs.
    Converting should be going from FLAC to MP3 or anything 2 or more types.

As for the sound quality question . there is more information about it in the music101 section you.

To cut it to the basic idea, you always loose information when a file is converted and then becomes smaller than the original.
    Even going from a WAVE to FLAC is not a lossless method, it too looses information.

Of course the losses are not noticeable to us humans , maybe to a dogs ears. Laughing

Let me simplify it as much as possible
    If you take a FLAC recording and change to mp3@320, what you are loosing is not noticeable to most human's ears.
    I even believe that the few who claim to hear something are simply nuts.
    I've taken the test myself and tried as hard as I could to notice the missing pieces for the life of me I couldn't hear them.
    Also these people that claim to notice these things have to resort to sonic spectrum charts to point out the differences.
    Laughing

I might point out that CD quality is equal to mp3@192

Here is where the real damage occurs ,
    When you encode something from anything above mp3@192/FLAC to anything at mp3@128 or below.
    If you do this what your loosing is very great and does indeed take things away that a human can hear.
    Things that cannot be regained again, that's why people use FLAC type encoders so that they are sure nothing has been lost.
    For example you could encode something at mp3@320 - 20 times in a row and the end result should be the same as the original because it only removes things at a certain range and those pieces were removed the first go round.

But you cannot gain anything by up-encoding something say mp3@128 to mp3@192, nothing is gained by this, but people do this.
    Most of the time from mp3@128 to FLAC and then post it on a torrent Laughing

For myself
    I only keep lossless items in things that I plan on re-editing , like my own music.
    Everything else becomes mp3@320, because I require nothing better.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Aw okay, thanks man! That really clears up everything. I've been using Switch Sound File Converter since the beginning of time to convert FLAC files to MP3. Now my buddy introduced me to Trader's Little Helper, which, unlike Switch Sound, allows me to convert it into MP3@320. (Switch Sound allowed only 128kbps)

So I was going crazy ever since I've been using this new program should I have to convert all my music files to 320kbps using Helper, but since change is unnoticeable to the human ears anyway, forget it then, lol. No skin of my back.

Thanks again Maxim, alotta help. Very Happy
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:46 pm

I'm sure switch can do more than just 128! I have been using it for 192 a lot, and I'm sure I've turned Flacs into 320s. It's just a small change in the settings somewhere.
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:I'm sure switch can do more than just 128! I have been using it for 192 a lot, and I'm sure I've turned Flacs into 320s. It's just a small change in the settings somewhere.

I used to be big on Switch , but I began noticing errors with the occasional FLAC switch.
    Also there are settings for each format on Switch and yes it can encode up to 320.

My preferred encoder is Jet Audio Premium because it can do everything. Encodes in a large variety of audio formats and the settings for each can be changed.
    Among it's other handy features is it's ability to do Video encoding, Podcasting/internet radio, and is a music organizer and desktop music player.
    I've been using it since the NPGMC days with out fail.

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Non-existent on my copy...sadly
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Xstasy wrote:Non-existent on my copy...sadly

It's free give it another go > [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 pm

Let me simplify it as much as possible
    If you take a FLAC recording and change to mp3@320, what you are loosing is not noticeable to most human's ears.
    I even believe that the few who claim to hear something are simply nuts.
    I've taken the test myself and tried as hard as I could to notice the missing pieces for the life of me I couldn't hear them.
    Also these people that claim to notice these things have to resort to sonic spectrum charts to point out the differences.

I was wondering the same thing about the differences between converting & encoding files. Thanks for educating us in simple terms. For most of my personal mixes, I was starting out with FLACs & then paring thm down into mp3@320 early in the process. However, I too have in recent months come around to maintaining the FLAC format from conception til the end, just in case I'm not truly satisfied with the finished product, and wish/regret ditching the lossless quality files to fall back on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:50 pm