Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

Dystopian Novels

Raserisk

Dystopian Novels

Post by Raserisk on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:51 pm

What is a Dystopia?

"A dystopia (from the Greek δυσ- and τόπος, alternatively, cacotopia,[1] kakotopia, cackotopia, or anti-utopia) is the often futuristic vision of a society in which conditions of life are miserable and characterized by poverty, oppression, war, violence and/or terror, resulting in widespread unhappiness, suffering, and other kinds of pain.[2]"

This past year I really didn't read a lot, losing interest in books because most of the time they had predictable plots. However I was properly introduced to the topics of Utopia's and Dystopia's eventully leading to the novel Brave New World

"The vast majority of the population is unified under The World State, an eternally peaceful, stable global society in which goods and resources are plentiful (because the population is permanently limited to no more than two billion people) and everyone is happy. Natural reproduction has been done away with and children are decanted and raised in Hatcheries and Conditioning Centres. Society is divided into five castes, created in these centres. The highest caste is allowed to develop naturally while it matures in its "decanting bottle". The lower castes are treated to chemical interference to cause arrested development in intelligence or physical growth. The castes are Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Deltas, and Epsilons, with each caste further split into Plus and Minus members. Each Alpha or Beta is the product of one fertilized egg developing into one foetus. Members of other castes are not unique but are instead created using the Bokanovsky process which enables a single egg to spawn (at the point of the story being told) up to 96 children and one ovary to produce thousands of children. This rapid production of specialized children bolsters the efficiency of society."

It soon appeared that this topic of an Dystopia held great interest for me as it does appear at times that the world is moving there at some point. I decided to explore other novels of this nature, and by Christmas I managed to snag, 1984 and Animal Farm

"by George Orwell, published in 1949, is a dystopian novel about the totalitarian regime of the Party, an oligarchical collectivist society where life in the Oceanian province of Airstrip One is a world of perpetual war, pervasive government surveillance, public mind control, and the voiding of citizens' rights. In the Ministry of Truth (Minitrue), protagonist Winston Smith is a civil servant responsible for perpetuating the Party's propaganda by revising historical records to render the Party omniscient and always correct, yet his meagre existence disillusions him into rebellion against Big Brother, which leads to his arrest, torture, and conversion"

Probably the best Dystopian novel I have read thus far that isn't vague and get it's points across the board easily with a little bit of brainpower by the reader.

"Animal Farm is a classic work by George Orwell and a noted piece of literature, which, of course, may help the reader to catapult the imagination beyond the horizons of dogmatic adherence to idealistic or Utopian thoughts. It however, represents human characteristics in an analogy of animal instincts, but it really gives insight into the Russian Revolution of 1917. It also mimics the doomsday of a precipitated change, brought by a modicum of bureaucratic class called as Bolsheviks."

Another of my favorites, with personification this book becomes timeless. Fair enough, all three of these books have been great reads, and currently I am on the process of reading a new book by Stephen King called Under The Dome which dosen't pertain to this topic, after that I plan on reading a more Utopian based book called Island by Huxley. All these books of course, are based on political ideas but also provide an accurate view of the world through a different perspective.

If anyone has any other books dealing with Dystopia's please feel free to discuss them, I would love to get my hands on more of them!

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:08 am