Entropy Music Club

True Funk Soldiers

DINNER FOR ONE! All years best comedy!

fkkScoop

DINNER FOR ONE! All years best comedy!

Post by fkkScoop on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:16 pm

That´s what Wiki say(not all):

Dinner for One, also known as The 90th Birthday, or by its corresponding German title, Der 90. Geburtstag, is a comedy sketch written by British author Lauri Wylie for the theatre in the 1920s. German television station Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) recorded a performance of the piece in 1963, in its original English language.

This short comical play subsequently went on to become the most frequently repeated TV programme ever (according to the Guinness Book of Records, 1988-1995 eds.;
    later editions no longer have the category).

The 18 minute single take black-and-white 1963 TV recording featuring British comedians Freddie Frinton and May Warden has become an integral component of the New Year's Eve schedule of several German television stations

and Danish national television. It has also been a cult television classic in Germany, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Faroe Islands and Austria: On New Year's Eve 2003 alone, the sketch was broadcast 19 times (on various channels).

As of 2005, the sketch has been repeated more than 230 times. It is famous in other countries as well — including German-speaking Switzerland and South Africa. It is a New Year's Eve staple in Australia on the SBS network.

That´s wat BBC say:

Every New Year's Eve, half of Germany sits down to watch an English comedy sketch starring a comedian that few in the UK would recognise.

The 18-minute sketch, called Dinner For One, features a masterful comic performance by the late actor Freddie Frinton, who plays James, butler to an elderly upper-class English woman called Miss Sophie.

She is celebrating her 90th birthday by hosting a dinner for her close friends. Because she has outlived them all, James impersonates each guest, getting more drunk with each toast.

Originally written in the 1920s, it was recorded in 1963 by a German television station, and has since become embedded in the country's New Year ritual.

Simon Green, co-director of the Aston Centre for Europe, says: "He's part of the ritual of New Year's Eve, which is much bigger in Germany than in the UK.

Its catchphrase, "The same procedure as every year", is often referred to in German culture.

The sketch has not been shown in the UK for 30 years, although it is still popular in Australia and Scandinavia.

That´s what I say:

You must have seen this one, cause it´s the best sketch that was ever on TV, really.

And yes, I saw it today on television, it´s traditional for me since I can sit in front of the TV.

And I wonder that you didn´t know it, maybe, cause it is amazingly funny.

The TV colored it a few years ago, I post u both variants, look for yourself which is better.

The TV station also produce a new one and want to show it, but nobody want to see it and millions(or thousands) write to the TV station that they want the original back....

and since then they show it in BW and/or colored and never again the new version!

On 4 channels at 4 times this year!

A little insider:
    The woman you can hear laugh very loud at the middle of the sketch be warned to leave the audience if she didn´t stop the screaming.
    It´s true, she told it on a documentary 2 years ago!

So, now have a look:

Black/White
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

sorry for the quali, but I found no better, don´t maximze it, then it´s ok
    in color the quali is a little bit better
    and in the BW version is no intro
    (but this is in german, so no prob for you)
    He only told us about what´s going on the next 15 minutes, but you can see it, so....np)

Color
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Re: DINNER FOR ONE! All years best comedy!

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:27 pm

same procedure as every year... Very Happy

Current date/time is Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 am